Cardinal-designate Pierre called to help people have ‘a personal encounter with Jesus’

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,071.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
(OSV News) — Days after his appointment by Pope Francis, OSV News spoke with Cardinal-designate Christophe Pierre, apostolic nuncio to the U.S., who shared his thoughts on his new role, the Synod on Synodality, and why both the synod and the National Eucharistic Revival are “just the beginning” of a fresh encounter with Jesus Christ.

This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

OSV News: What was your reaction when you learned Pope Francis had appointed you as cardinal?

Cardinal-designate Pierre: This is the kind of news you don’t expect, so I was a bit astounded. I was asleep on a Sunday morning and I received a phone call at about 6:30 a.m. It was a journalist I know from Rome, and he told me, “Have you heard that the pope has appointed you?”

I was not expecting that. But I immediately understood, because I had already had the experience, when I was in other countries like Mexico, of phoning a newly made cardinal. So I knew that it was not fake news.

I’m quite happy (about the appointment), to be honest. But on the other hand, I measure the responsibility. It is a great sense of trust, and I see the repercussions.

Spiritually, I think you feel a great responsibility, because this is about the church. It’s not about me. All my life, that has been my mission: I have been sent to help the pope to exercise his mission. It’s a beautiful mission — a challenging one, but a beautiful one.

Continued below.