Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Your painting looks "natural" in a very specific way, and that makes it attractive and interesting. Are you familiar with "1/f noise?"

1/f noise refers to the phenomenon of the spectral density, S(f) , of a stochastic process, having the form S(f)=constant/fα ,
where f is frequency, on an interval bounded away from both zero and infinity.

1/f fluctuations are widely found in nature. During 80 years since the first observation by Johnson (1925), long-memory processes with long-term correlations and 1/fα (with 0.5≲α≲1.5) behavior of power spectra at low frequencies f have been observed in physics, technology, biology, astrophysics, geophysics, economics, psychology, language and even music (see reviews by Press 1978, Hooge et al. 1981, Dutta and Horn 1981, Kogan 1985, Weissman 1988, West and Shlesinger 1990, Van Vliet 1991, Zhigalskii 1997, Milotti 2002, and Wong 2003).
1/f noise - Scholarpedia

Shows up in quality abstract expressionist works, too:
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications
Volume 387, Issue 1, 1 January 2008, Pages 281-295
1lf Noise structures in Pollocks's drip paintings
Abstract
The fractality and scaling properties of luminance patterns in Pollock's drip paintings, are studied in this paper. The painting is represented as a matrix array where each entry represents the luminance at the corresponding canva position. Detrended fluctuation analysis (DFA) is used to characterize fractality, and the results show that the whole luminance pattern is indeed fractal. Interestingly, the fractality is associated to 1/f"

-noise structures, which can be inducing the aesthetic properties of the artistic object. In fact, for spatial scales below 30 cm, Pollock's drip painting are organized as 1/f noise structures, which presumably are attuned for pleasant (i.e., aesthetic) perception.

Reactions: JohnEmmett
Upvote 0

JohnEmmett

Jan 21, 2017
Salt Lake City
Visit site
✟130,412.00
Country
United States
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Celibate
Your painting looks "natural" in a very specific way, and that makes it attractive and interesting. Are you familiar with "1/f noise?"

1/f noise structures, which presumably are attuned for pleasant (i.e., aesthetic) perception.

Aesthetics is my concern…

It's intuitive

(based on what one feels to be true even without conscious reasoning)

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,059.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Aesthetics is my concern…

It's intuitive

For some, if they're good. I doubt if Pollock could explain it, either. But there it is.

Mrs. Barbarian has never been trained in photography or composition. She just shoots what she likes. And often gets wonderful images.

For some, it's intuitive. I have to work at it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums