✟23,182.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It shouldn't.

The death penalty was instituted by God, and is an act of obedience on our part.

Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
Well, let God do it, if it's what he wants. He's going to kill everyone anyway.

And a great Jew once said this,

The fool hath said in his heart, there is no God.
King David.
Ah yes! A GREAT Jew! An adulterer, a womanizer, and a murderer! (Are you sure he wasn't a Christian?)

Capital punishment should either be strictly enforced or be abolished.

If criminals in general do not afraid of the punishment, then there is no point to have it.

If stealing or raping could be sentenced to capital punishment, then it is absolutely worthwhile to keep it.
Lately, a number of those condemned to death have been found to be not guilty based on new evidence. If we condemn those who kill innocents, or even not-so-innocents, then should we not be guilty if we condemn innocent men to death?

The death penalty is obedience to the word of God.
Surely, God can do his own dirty work. He's much better at killing people than we are. He can fit the penalty to his own omniscient judgment. He can strike someone down instantly, or give them a lingering, agonizing death from something like cancer. We know that, because he has done it, and still does it, and probably will continue doing it.
And we can seldom be sure that we have the right man (or woman!) God could know for certain, although he seems to strike folks down indiscriminately, and he is going to kill us all eventually anyway.
I wonder... All those dead men, women, and children, killed in his name...
All those destroyed and looted and held in slavery by his chosen people with his approval... All the genocidal wars he ordered ...
Maybe Jesus didn't die for our sins, maybe he died for his own. That would make sense...
I'm not saying, just speculating.

:confused:

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, let God do it, if it's what he wants.
No, thanks.

He told us to do it.
He's going to kill everyone anyway.
It's the second death we need to worry about.
Ah yes! A GREAT Jew! An adulterer, a womanizer, and a murderer!
And just as forgiven.
(Are you sure he wasn't a Christian?)
Quite.
Lately, a number of those condemned to death have been found to be not guilty based on new evidence.
If evidence clearly shows one to have committed the crime, or if one admits to a capital crime, then said person should be put to death.

The Manson women are an excellent example.
If we condemn those who kill innocents, or even not-so-innocents, then should we not be guilty if we condemn innocent men to death?
I'm not talking about enacting the death penalty on innocent people; I'm talking about enacting the death penalty on guilty persons.
Surely, God can do his own dirty work.
And that renders the rest of what you said sterile.

God doesn't do dirty work.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[serious];65541497 said:
And you are thus opposed to wool blend suits?
I'm sure you realize that putting two different types of material together back then would result in wear and tear problems?

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure you realize that putting two different types of material together back then would result in wear and tear problems?

Source?

If we say that God didn't really mean that law, he was just trying to help our clothing budget, why could we not make the same case for other laws you want to keep?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[serious];65541643 said:
If we say that God didn't really mean that law, he was just trying to help our clothing budget, why could we not make the same case for other laws you want to keep?
Then don't say that.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Then don't say that.

The rules in the bible either apply to you or they don't. If you are picking and choosing based on extrabiblical sources, fine, just admit that. If you think some verse has changed those rules as they apply to you, cite it.

Upvote 0

Ruthie24

Apr 15, 2014
USA
✟16,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Idk the death rows we have here are all diff races. They have committed premeditated murder of especially heinous nature.

No one has the right to be against the death row as it's about the victims families in my opinion. Also why should we house these criminals who've committed these murders? They will only get out and kill again. Do you want Bundy running around?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
If man wrote the Bible, perhaps he should have tried a little harder to convince the rest of us?
I agree, though I don't blame them for not having sufficient arguments against future scientific discoveries.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[serious];65543243 said:
The rules in the bible either apply to you or they don't. If you are picking and choosing based on extrabiblical sources, fine, just admit that. If you think some verse has changed those rules as they apply to you, cite it.
QV please: DEATH PENALTY.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ruthie24

Apr 15, 2014
USA
✟16,094.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Based on what Christ said. He said not to judge people re: women like the adulterer.

He didn't say let serial murderers walk around free so they can kill again. He said, for those who help the least of my sheep (victims, the vulnerable, the downtrodden).

I don't know why the OT said that. I believe it's because it was Hebrew law, not Christ's law.

Upvote 0

Devnet

Stardust
Apr 16, 2014
✟15,271.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Based on what Christ said. He said not to judge people re: women like the adulterer.

He didn't say let serial murderers walk around free so they can kill again. He said, for those who help the least of my sheep (victims, the vulnerable, the downtrodden).

I don't know why the OT said that. I believe it's because it was Hebrew law, not Christ's law.
No, he didn't say "let serial murderers walk around free so they can kill again." He said "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone." He didn't even say don't judge people like the adulterer*; he said that you shouldn't cast stones at others (you know, to execute them) unless you were sinless. He didn't say "don't cast the first stone unless you have fewer sins" and he didn't say, "don't cast the first stone because what she did wasn't really that bad." He didn't say, "You can't think negatively of her because everyone does bad stuff." He said "Let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!" The truly amazing thing is that it wasn't even like there wasn't a sinless person there: Jesus Christ himself was there! And he did not cast the first stone!

And "helping the least of my sheep" isn't exactly a "go kill people" statement. You can help people all over the place without killing anyone.

You are a sinner. I am a sinner. No one is without sin. Our sins make us all worthy of death. It is not the case that you and I are worthy of life and those icky bad people over there are worthy of death. All have fallen short. Those who have sin are not to cast the first stone.

*At least he didn't say don't judge them in that particular passage. I am aware that there are "don't judge" statements elsewhere in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
No one has the right to be against the death row as it's about the victims families in my opinion.

Justice and morality belongs to everyone.

If we are going to decide that killing a defenseless person is wrong, then we should be consistent with it. That's my view.

Also why should we house these criminals who've committed these murders? They will only get out and kill again. Do you want Bundy running around?

The rate of escape for prisoners in maximum security prisons is extremely low to nonexistent.

Upvote 0