• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Can't fall alseep without masturbating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice the Sister

optimize
Jun 30, 2003
seattle, washington
✟19,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ever since I can remember, I've masturbated before I went to sleep. It's almost habitual. I can't remember how it started, or why. All I know is that when try to fall asleep without masturbating, I can't fall asleep.

However, I don't want to be a slave to it. You shouldn't have to depend on it to fall asleep. Although the euphoria does give me a much better night's sleep than when I somehow fall asleep without masturbating (which isn't often)

And here lately, I've resorted to drinking to help me fall asleep. A few shots of rum or whiskey to make me relatively sleepy. But I don't want to get addicted to that either.

Anyone have some suggestions to help me out? Or is this something normal for guys to go through?

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Unless there is some incident or experiences that triggered masturbation then you gave developed a habit that associates sleep with sexual release. Like any well established habit it takes time, effort and perseverance to make changes and learn new associations.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If alcohol can take the place of it, I'd guess you associate the relaxation after with sleep. You may want to try exercising before bed time (with plenty of stretching before and after) and see if that helps you fall asleep.

Upvote 0

WhiteFaith

Trying to find my feet...
Nov 20, 2007
✟15,466.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'd say this has turned into an addictive habbit for you. And yes masturbation can release those 'good' hormaones and make you feel relaxed and even sleepy afterwards, there is still other ways to fall asleep.
The only way to get over it, is to slowly wean yourself from the habit. Maybe make a goal of a day less each week, take it slwo, but work hard on it. Replace it with something else like meditation or something, and in time it will past.

Upvote 0

aeiouandsumtimesy

Oct 16, 2006
Visit site
✟12,114.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
i blush writing this but i strugle with the same thing just like you only i never tried the drinking thing i watch tv and read a book (make sure its clean of sexual things) its been 3 days since i did it last and might i add that was the first time in a week i did that so ....idk hope i helped

Upvote 0

Alice the Sister

optimize
Jun 30, 2003
seattle, washington
✟19,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've actually tried over the counter sleeping pills. They helped, but not consistently. The drinking was a hassle, too. I suppose when I made this thread I starting to get a little worried about it. Perhaps I'll grow out of it? I don't really think it's a "habit". It's more of a "click". I feel like I have to do it, or else I can't sleep. That's why even the tiny bit of alcohol, or the sleeping pills haven't really helped much.

I can live with this, but sometimes I wonder if there's something more or if there's something wrong with me. I was kinda worried from a health perspective, actually.

I know that it's healthy in some situations, but I've always heard that you should do things in moderation. I dunno...another thing is that if I don't do it, I feel really icky the next morning. Sometimes a little sick. It's almost like my mind is trained to receive the hormones or it thinks something's up?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.