Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟18,679.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Let me be more specific so we don't have anymore misconceptions. I was referring to the remark that all doctors that may practice alternative medicine are quacks. I do not believe that statement to be the truth.

I don't want to make sweeping generalizations, but I have not run in to a field of "alternative" medicine that has stood up to any scrutiny. If a doctor's decision-making foundation is evidence-based medicine, I tend to let it pass if the doctor also incorporates "alt" med things if their patients really want them. The placebo effect is still the placebo effect in my opinion, and if patients want to delude themselves, have at it (as long as normal standard of care is still there). It's better that the doctor be involved in the process so the patient doesn't run off to a quack healer and never fills his/her prescriptions.

Feel free to bring up some alternative medicine fields that you think stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Upvote 0

farmer joe

Jan 30, 2012
america
✟15,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Chiroprators are one field of alternative medicine. Alot of people swear by them, and a few swear at them. We have had a couple others in our community that alot of people were happy with, but it only took one lawsuit and alot quack calling from the other doctors for them to loose their license to practice.That alone scares others from coming forward. From my own experiences and finding a good doctor that uses both modern and alternative ways I believe that some alternative ways can be very good for you. Yes, there is alot of quacks on both sides.Chiropractors were also called quacks at one time, some are and some are not. Acupuncture is also another one.

Upvote 0

Lion Hearted Man

Eternal Newbie
Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
✟18,679.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Engaged
Chiroprators are one field of alternative medicine. Alot of people swear by them, and a few swear at them. We have had a couple others in our community that alot of people were happy with, but it only took one lawsuit and alot quack calling from the other doctors for them to loose their license to practice.That alone scares others from coming forward. From my own experiences and finding a good doctor that uses both modern and alternative ways I believe that some alternative ways can be very good for you. Yes, there is alot of quacks on both sides.Chiropractors were also called quacks at one time, some are and some are not. Acupuncture is also another one.

Chiropractics who believe their practice is any more than elaborate back massage are quacks. The original chiropractic hypothesis was that alignment of the spine could cure all sorts of systemic diseases, which is completely false.

I reject your claim that there are "quacks on both sides". Basically, there are two groups. Any doctor who practices evidence-based medicine is not a quack. And any doctor who refuses to practice evidence-based medicine is a quack.

Upvote 0

farmer joe

Jan 30, 2012
america
✟15,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Chiropractics who believe their practice is any more than elaborate back massage are quacks. The original chiropractic hypothesis was that alignment of the spine could cure all sorts of systemic diseases, which is completely false.

I reject your claim that there are "quacks on both sides". Basically, there are two groups. Any doctor who practices evidence-based medicine is not a quack. And any doctor who refuses to practice evidence-based medicine is a quack.

The only fact is that you are entitled to your own opinion. As others are. Jesus would also be considered a quack in your opinion, as he healed many without evidence based medicine. Some say the same thing about religions. It's not worth argueing about and once again I will agree that we disagree.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only fact is that you are entitled to your own opinion. As others are. Jesus would also be considered a quack in your opinion, as he healed many without evidence based medicine. Some say the same thing about religions. It's not worth argueing about and once again I will agree that we disagree.
You're comparing Burzynski and chiropractors to Christ?

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No I am not. You are taking it out of perspective. Jesus healed people without proven evidence based medicine. I am using that as an example.
As an example of what? Of what chiropractors do? That makes it a comparison - either Christ is unique and beyond compare or He is not.

Upvote 0

farmer joe

Jan 30, 2012
america
✟15,610.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
As an example of what? Of what chiropractors do? That makes it a comparison - either Christ is unique and beyond compare or He is not.

Have you read the whole thread? Here let me help you.

Lion hearted man said,"You know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine".

I said,"They also call doctors that use alternative medicine, Quacks. But that doesn't mean it does not work".

Blayz said,"Quite true, it's the other way around. The fact is doesn't work is why they are called quacks".

Some other things said in between, feel free to look.

Lion hearted man said,"Feel free to bring up some alternative medicine fields that you think stand up to scientific scrutiny".

........Never mind you can read

You know I understand what stillangela meant when she said,"I love these forums. The thing that turned me off of forums years ago was the arguing. It wasn't debating, it was simply being ugly. I found that there were usually two groups. Each group would gang up on any post of someone who wasn't in their cliques. I don't come to forums to argue. I come to escape and learn".

I believe I am going to join the rest that have left this forum, It is to ugly for me, also. Thank you Daisy day, and all the others. I wish I could of discussed some things that are on my mind, but since these things do not warrant discussion in most of your threads, I will find else where to discuss them. And I apologize if my beliefs do not match yours, you guys have a unique way of welcoming others that may believe differrently then you. I'm sure some will be happy to see me go. May god bless you all.

Upvote 0

Halossellar

Jun 13, 2012
✟15,544.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't want to make sweeping generalizations, but I have not run in to a field of "alternative" medicine that has stood up to any scrutiny. If a doctor's decision-making foundation is evidence-based medicine, I tend to let it pass if the doctor also incorporates "alt" med things if their patients really want them. The placebo effect is still the placebo effect in my opinion, and if patients want to delude themselves, have at it (as long as normal standard of care is still there). It's better that the doctor be involved in the process so the patient doesn't run off to a quack healer and never fills his/her prescriptions.

Feel free to bring up some alternative medicine fields that you think stand up to scientific scrutiny.

Back in the 1980's I noticed that my dermatologist had a commercially available poster in one of the examining rooms showing a schematic of the skin and its many layers. I read on said poster that acne could be caused by drinking sodas and eating chocolate! I was shocked, but calmly waited for my doctor to arrive so that I could ask him what was up. I pointed out the offending wording on his poster. He sheepishly told me that if a mom brought her teenager in to see him and he didn't warn the kid about sodas and chocolate being the reason for the kid's acne, the mom wouldn't think he was a good dermatologist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟215,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you read the whole thread? Here let me help you.
Actually, yes, I was in it from the beginning, but thanks for your patronization.

Lion hearted man said,"You know what they call alternative medicine that works? Medicine".

I said,"They also call doctors that use alternative medicine, Quacks. But that doesn't mean it does not work".

Blayz said,"Quite true, it's the other way around. The fact is doesn't work is why they are called quacks".

Some other things said in between, feel free to look.

Lion hearted man said,"Feel free to bring up some alternative medicine fields that you think stand up to scientific scrutiny".
Chiropracty doesn't stand up to scientific scrutiny.

........Never mind you can read
Indeed I can. You went on to say that the healing Jesus performed would be considered quackery much like alternative medicine is.

My reply to you still stands.

You know I understand what stillangela meant when she said,"I love these forums. The thing that turned me off of forums years ago was the arguing. It wasn't debating, it was simply being ugly. I found that there were usually two groups. Each group would gang up on any post of someone who wasn't in their cliques. I don't come to forums to argue. I come to escape and learn".
I'm sorry you feel ganged up on, but many people here do oppose quackery such as Burzynski's claims about neoantiplasteons which turns out to be little more than sodium phenylbutyrate (linkie).

Many studies have been done on neoantiplasteons, most sponsored by the Burzynski Institute, but all but one were never completed or were terminated without explanation and the one that was completed hasn't published the results. See: Search of: antineoplaston - List Results - ClinicalTrials.gov and by way of comparison, search for something else like "niacin" or "chemotherapy".

Worse, Burzynski charges the patients many thousands of dollars to participate in his "trials" that never complete.

I believe I am going to join the rest that have left this forum, It is to ugly for me, also. Thank you Daisy day, and all the others. I wish I could of discussed some things that are on my mind, but since these things do not warrant discussion in most of your threads, I will find else where to discuss them. And I apologize if my beliefs do not match yours, you guys have a unique way of welcoming others that may believe differently then you. I'm sure some will be happy to see me go. May god bless you all.
I hope you find a nice forum where no one ever challenges what you post.:wave:

Upvote 0