Can you understand the NT without the OT or history?

WherevertheWindblows

Dec 30, 2018
City
✟7,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus had stated something concerning what was written in the OT this way

John 5:46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

Like, if they believed Moses (his writings) which testified of Christ you would actually believe Christs words, since Moses as a servant, was for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after Hebrews 3:5 as is shown in Deuteronomy 18:18 and confirmed by Christ in John 12:49

So, had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me

These testify of Jesus Christ

Luke 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

Acts 28:23 show Paul testifying, "persuading them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out of the prophets, from morning till evening".

So the people were being persuaded of Jesus Christ out of the law of Moses and the prophets.

• Agree
Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

YeshuaFan

Oct 19, 2018
Macomb
✟56,324.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's not absolutely necessary, but it helps.
Indeed, as for example, to really understand revelation need to know Daniel, and go to know first 5 books to get Pauline Justification!

• Agree
Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0

dstamps

Site Supporter
Dec 23, 2018
Huntsville, AL
Visit site
✟64,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
I have not read the OT, or history.

Reading the NT I don't know exactly what Isreal is or is like. I don't know the king, Herod.
Much of Jesus's teaching/comments are allegorical. The foundation for understanding his allegorical teaching is written in the Old Testament. For instance, how is Man in the image of GOD.

• Agree
Reactions: JacobKStarkey
Upvote 0

StrivingFollower

Oct 20, 2017
South
✟35,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well every part of the Bible has an important lesson and lets us know who God is. The OT is written in a less direct way. You have to analyze more to understand it. And you see a focus on the mistakes of people. Jesus isn't the main character, so you will see lessons on what to do, but also lessons on what not to do. But why I like the OT is exactly for that reason. You learn more by seeing something from different angles. And seeing people deal with such heavy dramas, really shows you the philosophy put in action, which is quite important.

And because the OT has such a big variety of characters, it's packed with beautiful symbolism because God does amazing miracles in the lives of these people. Think about the size of the OT compared to the NT. Over a thousand years passes in that Testament, it's a lot of history. And history as told by God can really straighten out your understanding of the world. But you also have things like the psalms, proverbs, book of ecclesiastes. There are some philosophical parts of the OT that are pretty direct and similar to the writing style of the NT.

What is also awesome about the OT are the prophecies about Jesus. They're so poetic, but they're packed with the beautiful righteousness that gospels have. Sometimes it's just one or two lines that reference the prophecy and yet it's amazing imagery that sticks with you.

Reactions: icxn
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Jesus isn't the main character, so you will see lessons on what to do, but also lessons on what not to do

Yet Jesus' prime focus was on the Kingdom of God, the reason He said He was sent. Do you not think too much focus of Christians is everywheres but? Do they understand the world of man is completely backwards to the will of God, and it is not a matter of study and theology but outright and immediate allegiance to one or the other because we can't have it both ways? I do agree the OT shows how mankind continually chooses the ways of man over the will of God. Jesus offered us the Kingdom, but just like the House of Israel, we have to chose one way or the other, now, not as an option at death.

Can we understand the NT without the OT? Yes. But not without an honest look at the affairs of mankind around us seeing them as the evil we call good. History has it's benefits in showing errors of the past, but the definition of mental illness is repeatedly making the same mistakes without change, and on that note we are all insane as a people and unwilling to acknowledge our sickness.

His will be done over our own will. Those who accept that can be released from this earthly quarantine and go home.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,583.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
timothyu, it is a matter of all of that: allegiance, study, theology, and living to his will.
Are you gnostic, per chance?

Seeking God and the Kingdom as Jesus commanded continually thru life requires discernment, especially when dealing with religion of man. One group within Christianity tries to use God to justify their ways while the other allows changes in themselves to suit the will of God. Knowledge is essential in seeking God and part of that knowledge is in understanding that some who are defensive of their beliefs and unwilling to seek God any further, will attempt to discredit others..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacobKStarkey

Jan 3, 2019
Houston, Texas
✟40,347.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
  1. Gnos·ti·cism
    /ˈnästəˌsizəm/

noun
    • 1.a prominent heretical movement of the 2nd-century Christian Church, partly of pre-Christian origin. Gnostic doctrine taught that the world was created and ruled by a lesser divinity, the demiurge, and that Christ was an emissary of the remote supreme divine being, esoteric knowledge (gnosis) of whom enabled the redemption of the human spirit.