Can you recommend a denomination for me?

panterapat

Praise God in all things!
Jun 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟9,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Dear Stillsearching,

You have an extensive list of what you want from a church. I found one thing missing that should be at the top of your list. TRUTH!!!

The Catholic Church was given the original Deposit of Faith from Jesus to Peter, our first pope. There is only one Christian church that goes all the way back to Jesus, and it is Catholic.

Prayerfully read John 6, with a literal understanding. Jesus gave us His Body and Blood as real food and drink. This Body and Blood, we call the Most Holy Eucharist.

There is nothing on earth so sublime as receiving Jesus' actual Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity in the Eucharist.

The Catholic Church relies on three pillars to guide it- The Bible, Sacred Tradition, and the Holy Spirit.

I now offically invite you to experience the Catholic liturgy which we believe is a foretaste of Heaven.

In Christ, Patrick

Upvote 0

Rafael

Only time enough for love
Jul 25, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟6,445.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think getting a Modern English Bible and reading the New Testament would be good first step, along with praying - talking it over with God - about where you should go and what you should do. He is very strong and will protect you if you are weak. It doesn't matter how strong your faith is or what shape your life is in to go to the one that created you, loves you, and knows you best. It's truely the most wonderful thing to know and walk with God in this journey of life, and asking Him first would be the best thing to do. Before you know it, He will place a person or circumstance in life that will lead you to the right place. Get to know Him and His love through reading and prayer. If you ask Him in to your life and for His direction, you can walk with trust in your heart about the future.

Upvote 0

Peter

Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
No offense raphe, but your advice is exactly what Joseph Smith did. He let God bring a person or circumstance into his life and it led him to found the LDS.

I'm not denying the individual relationship that the Holy Spirit has with each person. But the Holy Spirit is God. And as such cannot go against His own truth. What you are asking the Holy Spirit to do is guide you to a denomination. In doing this, the Holy Spirit would be saying. "This is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." He could do no less. And if the voice you hear says, "All the denominations are in error. Don't join any of them," then you have the situation I opened this response with.

By giving the advice of going to the NT, you yourself are influencing the inquirer as to which direction he/she should go. For, as has been stated already, the Bible came out of the church. A very specific church. The life of the scriptures to the church are symbiotic. The church needs the Bible as a guide and the Bible needs the church for proper interpretation.

The Bible is not an entity. The church is. Christ did not die for the Bible. He died for the church. The Bible is not Christ's bride. The church is. The Bible is not the fullness of Christ. The church is. The bible is not the body of Christ. The church is.

The scriptures were given that individuals may know that Jesus is the Christ the Son of the Living God. The church was given to contend earnestly for that faith that was once for all delivered to the saints.
When one divorces the scriptures from the church, one is in grave danger. And when the church divorces herself from her grandest prize, she is in graver danger still.

Peace.

Peter

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but the Catholic church did not start until hundreds of years after the death of Christ. The church that Jesus built began in 33 A.D. on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2). Besides, Catholics do a lot of things that go against the Bible.

What is the purpose of getting an English Modern version of the Bible? Why can't they read any one they want to?

I still recommend that you attend the church that you can read about in the Bible. It is the church that will give book, chapter, and verse for everything they believe. I believe that you should do the things God told to do.

Upvote 0

Force

GO NOLES!!!!!!! 16 58
Sep 23, 2002
In Vegas at the moment....
Visit site
✟8,888.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Raphe was close to hitting it on the nail. Read your bible (all of it) and pray. Seek Gods will and he will lead you. Joseph Smith was NOT Christian, as mormons are NOT Christian so dont compare the two.

And it is not wrong to seek God or want his will to be done in your life.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matthew 6:33

(That is just ONE verse among many others telling you it's ok to seek Gods will for your life in everything you do. When your eyes are focused on Him everything will fall into place.)

Pray that his will be done and go to different Christian churches and see where you feel comfortable. Remember he is with you always anyway. God will never forsake you! No one church is perfectly right because the church isn't perfect. It is meant for guidance, spiritual growth, and fellowship. The only thing that is constant is the love of Jesus Christ...our Lord and Savior! And his love letter and scriptural guidance for us...the Bible. So keep searching for a good place where you feel the Spirit. Have a little faith.

Upvote 0
I wasn't referring to you, Peter, I was referring to panterapat. Sorry about the confusion.

Force, why go to different churches when Jesus only established one? Jesus didn't establish the Catholic, Luthern, or any other denominational church. He established HIS church, the church of Christ.

Upvote 0

Force

GO NOLES!!!!!!! 16 58
Sep 23, 2002
In Vegas at the moment....
Visit site
✟8,888.00
Faith
Pentecostal
dldjr86 said:
Force, why go to different churches when Jesus only established one? Jesus didn't establish the Catholic, Luthern, or any other denominational church. He established HIS church, the church of Christ.
You should go to a church you feel comfortable in, why go to one that is stagnant, or is going to hinder your growth?

I agree that we should not choose a religion but yet a relationship, with Jesus...And as I stated church is not perfect, because it is run by imperfect people yet we are still to go for fellowship, for guidance, for worship, and for growth.

So it is good to find a place you can do all those things.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Donny_B

Mar 4, 2003
North Carolina
✟740.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Any church that affirms that Jesus Christ is head of the Church and whose doctrines are based on the Scriptures and emphasize Bible study is a good one. Any church that is not confused by Matthew 16:18 is a good one (Christ is the Rock on which the Church is built, not Peter the pebble).

I would recommend the Calvinist churches, such as the Presbyterian and Reformed, also many Baptist churches, and many non-denominational churches. Churches that emphasize Christian education are very good and that look for the imminent return of Christ for His Church.

Upvote 0

panterapat

Jun 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟9,767.00
Faith
Catholic
dldjr86,

"I'm sorry, but the Catholic church did not start until hundreds of years after the death of Christ. The church that Jesus built began in 33 A.D. on the day of Pentecost (Acts 2). Besides, Catholics do a lot of things that go against the Bible."

On the contrary:

There is a continous line of popes from Peter to the present John Paul II.

The Catholic Church was in existance for 300 years BEFORE the Bible even existed. It was the Catholic Council of Hippo, Cira 300AD that gathered the Jewish scriptures, varied letters to churches, and numerous gospels (the gospel of Thomas did not make the cut). They then judged which writings were inspired of God, and put these writings into a book which they called the Bible.

Until 1000AD there was only ONE Christian Church and it was Catholic. In 1000, the East and Western Churches split. But they both were and are Catholic.

It was not until the 16th Century when Martin Luther broke away, that any christian church was not Catholic. And more breaking away occured, and more and more. And today we have hundreds of different churches.

Jesus prayed that we may all be one. And yet, we have seperated ourselves.

Let us pray for the day when Jesus' prayer comes to fruition.

In Christ, Patrick

The Catholic Church is fully ingrained in the Bible. No Church teaching may contridict the Bible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Donny_B

Mar 4, 2003
North Carolina
✟740.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
If Peter was made head of the Church, why was there an argument among the disciples at the Lord's Supper about who was the greatest among them (Luke 22:24)...wouldn't they have known?

Why are there no scriptural references of Peter ever being in Rome, particularly from Paul's letters, who was imprisoned in Rome?

Since Peter was married (I Cor 9:5), wouldn't this have disqualified him from being a Pope?

Also, notice in the letter of Jesus to the Church of Philadelphia in Revelation 3:7, it is Jesus that has the key of David, not Peter.

A lot of the confusion lies in the misinterpretation of Matthew 16:18 and the 2 different Greek words used for "rock". Peter is "Petros", the small stone, but Christ is "Patra" the rock.

In Peter's first epistle, he clears up the matter:

"5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded."

Upvote 0

panterapat

Jun 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟9,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Donny_B said:
If Peter was made head of the Church, why was there an argument among the disciples at the Lord's Supper about who was the greatest among them (Luke 22:24)...wouldn't they have known?

The greatest was to serve the others. Jesus told Peter three times to "feed my sheep".

Why are there no scriptural references of Peter ever being in Rome, particularly from Paul's letters, who was imprisoned in Rome?

Being in Rome is not a prerequsite(sp) for being a pope.

Since Peter was married (I Cor 8:5), wouldn't this have disqualified him from being a Pope?

Celebate priesthood is a practice, not a dogma of the Church. This can be changed at the direction of the pope.

Also, notice in the letter of Jesus to the Church of Philadelphia in Revelation 3:7, it is Jesus that has the key of David, not Peter.

Jesus gave Peter, the keys to the Kingdom of heaven.

A lot of the confusion lies in the misinterpretation of Matthew 16:18 and the 2 different Greek words used for "rock". Peter is "Petros", the small stone, but Christ is "Patra" the rock.

The confusion only occurs in Greek. The original gospels were written in Arimeic(sp)

In Peter's first epistle, he clears up the matter:

"5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded."

Read John 6. Jesus tells us several times that His Flesh is real food and His Blood is real drink. This is the essence of the Catholic faith.:prayer:

In Christ, Patrick

Upvote 0
Tell me how come there is no Catholic church in the Bible. Peter didn't establish the church, Jesus did. Did Peter die for the church? Of course not. Are we baptized into Peter? Of course not. Where is pope in the Bible? You won't find it. How come the Catholic church uses a different Bible than the original? To let them be able to say they can do things different than the church is supposed to.

Donny_B makes so good points refuting the Catholic church. The first pope didn't exist until 606 A.D.

I'm sorry, but there are no valid points to the fact that the Catholic church was the first church. Jesus established HIS church. Peter didn't establish one.

Upvote 0

panterapat

Jun 4, 2002
Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟9,767.00
Faith
Catholic
dldjr86 said:
Tell me how come there is no Catholic church in the Bible.

Perhaps the name Catholic did not occur for some years but there is definitely a continuous list of popes from Peter to John Paul II. "Catholic" means universal, for all people.

Peter didn't establish the church, Jesus did.

I agree. Jesus did give Peter the keys of the Kingdom of Heaven though.

Did Peter die for the church? Of course not. Are we baptized into Peter? Of course not.

This is speculation on your part. The Church is the people of God. Jesus died for His people. Peter died proclaiming Jesus' death and ressurrection for His people.

Where is pope in the Bible? You won't find it.

You don't find Trinity in the Bible either, yet all Christian denominations believe in this doctrine.

How come the Catholic church uses a different Bible than the original?

Sorry to burst your bubble. Martin Luther removed several books from the Bible in the 17th Century because they conflicted with his beliefs. The Catholic Bible is THE ORIGINAL Bible, compiled, and approved by the Catholic Council of Hippo in 300AD.

To let them be able to say they can do things different than the church is supposed to.

Catholic belief is totally biblical. Nothing in Catholic teaching is pertmitted to conflict with the Bible.

Donny_B makes so good points refuting the Catholic church. The first pope didn't exist until 606 A.D.

We will have to agree to disagree on this point. But I could show you the historical list of all the popes from 33AD to 2003AD.

I'm sorry, but there are no valid points to the fact that the Catholic church was the first church. Jesus established HIS church. Peter didn't establish one.

Right, Jesus established His church and intrusted it to Peter. Jesus said, "I will be with you always to the end of the age." The only Christian church from 33AD to the age of Martin Luther some 1600 years later, was the Catholic Church. This is historical FACT.

Upvote 0