Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
If an "angel of light" were to give you a message could you be sure it was from God?

2 Corinthians 11:13-14
For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light​

1 John 4:1
Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
Is there a fool-proof way to test a spirit? (so that two Christians would always agree about whether it is from God?)

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
If an "angel of light" were to give you a message could you be sure it was from God?

For such people are false apostles, deceitful workers, masquerading as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light​

Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
Is there a fool-proof way to test a spirit? (so that two Christians would always agree about whether it is from God?)
It can be tricky. Things to look for:
Does it contradict the Bible?
Who is getting the glory? Lord Jesus or the individual?
Do we have peace in our spirit about it?
Have we heard the same thing from another source?

It's ok to be neutral. Sometimes "I don't know" is the safest position to take.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Yes a few ways. Some people will do things like ask an angel if Jesus Christ has come in the flesh, because a passage from the epistle of John that says false angels can't testify to that. But I'm a little suspicious that one wouldn't work all the time today, because it's a little specific or gimmicky, and I would expect the fallen angels to find some way around it, if they could but worth trying. I would probably read them the Nicene Creed and command them in the name of Jesus Christ if they agree, or something like that to start with.

But in general there are 3 broad things to look at.

1) Heretical doctrine is one of the best indicators because the object is to pervert the Gospel.

2) Being tempted to sin. Like an angel telling you that is OK to do something like adultery or fornication because you are special chosen person and therefore exempt from that sort of thing. Mohammed is a great case study for this, besides having heretical doctrine. He was exempt from most of the sexual morals he imposed on his followers and this came from his revelations.

3) Very Suspicious Contextual stuff. e.g. Mohammed before he accepted his call he was subject to things that looked like demonic attack (being choked), he even believed he was being possessed, and tried to kill himself a few times before his wife at the time convinced him to listen to the angel that it was a real messenger from God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Laureate

whatisthebaytreeknown4? What's debate reknown for?
Jan 18, 2012
The big island of hawaii 19.5 in the ring of fire
✟58,771.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Contextually '....Test the Spirit...' means for one to Examine the Spirit, for a tree is Known by it's Fruit, thus in our keeping Watch, we hold everything up to the Word of Alôʰhéyîm, it either measures up or it does not, as for the sake of surety, we are instructed to let all matters to be Established by the mouth of two or three witnesses.

This precept was given to us (in part) to help us ascertain what is sufficient enough to accept, or act upon something, and circumvent the justification of those who like to play it safe sitting on a fence.

Upvote 0

Laureate

whatisthebaytreeknown4? What's debate reknown for?
Jan 18, 2012
The big island of hawaii 19.5 in the ring of fire
✟58,771.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
However the surety that I suspect you are looking for, can only come from one who exercises Faith, and seeing time after time the results that Faith brings, nevertheless one must Know the Word of Alôʰhéyîm in order to Know where they stand, and how they ought to stand.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I've actually experienced something similar to this. I don't know what to think of it, honestly. Some things about it were quite amazing, but there is reason for concern as well.

The thing is, we don't always know, and, it's up to God that it happened at all, and that's really all there is to say about it.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
I've actually experienced something similar to this. I don't know what to think of it, honestly. Some things about it were quite amazing, but there is reason for concern as well.

The thing is, we don't always know, and, it's up to God that it happened at all, and that's really all there is to say about it.

Please consider 'external world skepticism'.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private

To your last question, I would have to say no. If Lucifer has free will, what is to stop him from impersonating the Messiah, for which all Christians now profess as their savior? If Lucifer does not have free will to do so, then it seems odd God still allows Him to run amuck; in the manor he is said to do so...?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnClay

Married Mouth-Breather
Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2006
Australia
Visit site
✟447,819.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
....If Lucifer has free will, what is to stop him from impersonating the Messiah, for which all Christians now profess as their savior
Related Bible verses:
Matthew 24:23-24
At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

About false prophets:
Deuteronomy 18:22
Sometimes a prophet will announce something in the name of the Lord. And it won’t take place or come true. Then that’s a message the Lord hasn’t told him to speak. That prophet has dared to speak on his own authority. So don’t be afraid of what he says.
This is related to messages that are supposedly from God....

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I trust that we can make sure with God, about anything. He is interested in personally communicating with His children, all the time, so we can be sure about whatever God wants us to know and believe and who to trust and how to trust each person.

One thing I think of is Jesus says, "Freely you have received, freely give." (in Matthew 10:8) So, I understand that any genuine ministry of our Father's love is free of charge. So, not only do we need to be wise to false speakers, but also be wise to how people might minister in the wrong way, though they might say things that are true.

It seems there are ones who make money a condition for you to get what they say or pray or sing or write to you. But God loves and gives freely. And this is our example. And I suspect I have seen how ones' ministry is defective because it is not in the creativity of God's freely giving love.

So, the obviously false ones might not be our real problem. And how I can fool my own self is a major issue. I can be my main problem, then :)

So, then, I always need to be making sure with God . . . because of how I myself might be fooling myself and not even know this.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
Related Bible verses:
Matthew 24:23-24
At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect.

About false prophets:
Deuteronomy 18:22
Sometimes a prophet will announce something in the name of the Lord. And it won’t take place or come true. Then that’s a message the Lord hasn’t told him to speak. That prophet has dared to speak on his own authority. So don’t be afraid of what he says.
This is related to messages that are supposedly from God....

We might first need to know if Lucifer has true free will? Why does this seem so important? Well, he apparently has magical powers. He apparently persuades humans. He apparently knows the Bible. He apparently wants to taint humans. He appears to be perpetually motivated to undermine God.

How do we know Lucifer did not impersonate a man named Jesus. Maybe the entire NT is based upon a sham? If YHWH would not allow for this type of trickery, but does allow for Lucifer to do what He does do to humans, then Lucifer does not have true free will. Lucifer might be perfectly capable of such trickery, but restricted.

If Lucifer is restricted, God is instead monitoring and managing his every move. Hence, if Lucifer is responsible for your anguish, then you might say God allowed it, when He could have controlled/stopped it; much like stopping him from impersonating a Messiah...

Now getting to your Bible quotes...

1. (Matthew 24:23-24) - Millions assert they speak to Jesus. Maybe they are all speaking to Lucifer in disguise?

2. (Deuteronomy 18:22) - This would suggest that you can reject the message, if the message does not come true. Well, Jesus stated He would return promptly. Did He? But this is besides the point.... Many claim they speak to Jesus, and what Jesus tells them comes true. Is this all it takes to determine they are speaking to Jesus, and not just themselves?

Upvote 0

Under_the_moon

Feb 4, 2021
Ontario
✟16,071.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
A false profit is not there to bring you to Jesus but take you away from Jesus. It could even be for their own gain. What feels right and is right are two different things but can be easy to confuse without thinking about it. Evil knows scripture and can use it. Personal gain of worldly things is generally not from God. Becoming closer to God is.

Upvote 0