Can we learn without love? (thoughts on a lecture I heard today)

Mustaphile

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2004
Indiana
✟35,696.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
So I was listening to a lecturer on Russian Literature talk about Tolstoy. A theme that pops up on Tolstoy's work is the idea that when we try to teach people and get frustrated, impatient and lack empathy for them, the student doesn't learn

This was expressed in Prince Bolkonski trying to teach his daughter Princess Maria mathematics and examples where given from other books Tolstoy wrote. He was eternally frustrated at her inability to grasp the concepts of mathematics and considered her dull-witted and called her as much often. She never did really improve in the area of mathematics.

I thought I'd share this idea today and see if people have other examples, personal experience or just thoughts on the importance of love in learning. Do we learn more effectively if a teacher expresses love for the student? What is the quality of love that helps in understanding?

It's an idea I'd like to explore more in my own life.

2PhiloVoid

Get my point, Web-Maker ???
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,130,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So I was listening to a lecturer on Russian Literature talk about Tolstoy. A theme that pops up on Tolstoy's work is the idea that when we try to teach people and get frustrated, impatient and lack empathy for them, the student doesn't learn

This was expressed in Prince Bolkonski trying to teach his daughter Princess Maria mathematics and examples where given from other books Tolstoy wrote. He was eternally frustrated at her inability to grasp the concepts of mathematics and considered her dull-witted and called her as much often. She never did really improve in the area of mathematics.

I thought I'd share this idea today and see if people have other examples, personal experience or just thoughts on the importance of love in learning. Do we learn more effectively if a teacher expresses love for the student? What is the quality of love that helps in understanding?

All I can keep thinking about is: those poor, poor ol' Pharisees! ^_^ Except, maybe, ol' Nicodemus? They seemed to have been given the harder lessons, with a large pinch of educational discipline.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mustaphile
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Yes you absolutely need love. But I don't think its love for the student themselves, but love for the vision you have as a teacher and the potential you see for the students you encounter within that. What i mean by that is that, taking the example of student and teacher, is that as a teacher you have to be about a mission as a teacher and the value of people knowing the subject matters that you know. Then you must have the desire to see that same vision in fruition when teaching students. The student needs to be able to pick up on that drive for that vision when sitting with them. Being part of that vision the teacher have for students will naturally establish a platform for them to bond in other personal areas.

So I dare to say that its not her inability to grasp concepts of math as so much as the failure of the teacher to establish what vision he have as a teacher and the value of math to the student, that would be big factors as to why she couldn't improve. I know for me, I remember teachers who love and believe in what they do and love to see others succeed, it wasn't necessarily that they love me, if that makes sense.

Granted there are cases where maybe something personal in the student life is hindering her from learning. If i am truly about my work, I will want to address it immediately, but it will always be towards taking off barriers to further the process of teaching. Example, maybe during studies, a family member passed away, and it is affecting how I interact. A true teacher will respond in a way (whether its attending the funeral, making suggestions on therapy, quick check-ups) to quickly address the potential blockage for learning, so that their growth can continue. I believe in the value of the subject so much, that i am willing to address any potential hindrances in order for you to get that value. Its not a matter of, "you're a nice student so I'm going to support your growth in learning", there is no real benefit from that. But it have to be a "despite your character, I am going to support your growth in learning". Its not something contingent on one student, but more so on your mission and vision for anyone that becomes a student.

There is also coachability that students are responsible for on their end, but as for teachers, there needs to be love for the vision you see in your career and the subject matters you teach.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes you absolutely need love. But I don't think its love for the student themselves, but love for the vision you have as a teacher and the potential you see for the students you encounter within that. What i mean by that is that, taking the example of student and teacher, is that as a teacher you have to be about a mission as a teacher and the value of people knowing the subject matters that you know. Then you must have the desire to see that same vision in fruition when teaching students. The student needs to be able to pick up on that drive for that vision when sitting with them. Being part of that vision the teacher have for students will naturally establish a platform for them to bond in other personal areas.

So I dare to say that its not her inability to grasp concepts of math as so much as the failure of the teacher to establish what vision he have as a teacher and the value of math to the student, that would be big factors as to why she couldn't improve. I know for me, I remember teachers who love and believe in what they do and love to see others succeed, it wasn't necessarily that they love me, if that makes sense.

Granted there are cases where maybe something personal in the student life is hindering her from learning. If i am truly about my work, I will want to address it immediately, but it will always be towards taking off barriers to further the process of teaching. Example, maybe during studies, a family member passed away, and it is affecting how I interact. A true teacher will respond in a way (whether its attending the funeral, making suggestions on therapy, quick check-ups) to quickly address the potential blockage for learning, so that their growth can continue. I believe in the value of the subject so much, that i am willing to address any potential hindrances in order for you to get that value. Its not a matter of, "you're a nice student so I'm going to support your growth in learning", there is no real benefit from that. But it have to be a "despite your character, I am going to support your growth in learning". Its not something contingent on one student, but more so on your mission and vision for anyone that becomes a student.

There is also coachability that students are responsible for on their end, but as for teachers, there needs to be love for the vision you see in your career and the subject matters you teach.

I agree. Identify and if possible remove the obstacles to learning. We should be doing that in our schools today, including at the college level.

Reactions: Mustaphile
Upvote 0