Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
As we pray this month for the holy souls in purgatory a question may arise: Can the souls in purgatory pray for us — and do they?

This is a question that I have been asked recently. I always assumed that the answer was “yes;” but, after doing some research in the Catholic Encyclopedia I see that the question has been open to opinion, or least it used to be before the sixteenth century. There is no definitive teaching of the Church, however, on the subject; even the ordinary magisterium, which is infallible as to what has been held by the faithful throughout the centuries, does not provide a unanimous affirmative. What is unanimous, and scriptural, and defined (Trent), is that our prayers on earth alleviate the Church suffering, and, most especially, the holy sacrifice of the Mass. How is that? By reducing their suffering and shortening the time of their purgation. What greater motive could we have to show our love for our departed family and friends? And, lest we forget the Savior’s command, what greater charity could we have than offering prayers for our departed enemies, or those who hurt us in some way during our life?

St. Thomas (II-II.83.11) denies that the souls in purgatory pray for the living, and states they are not in a position to pray for us, rather we must make intercession for them.

Saint Robert Bellarmine (De Purgatorio, lib. II, xv,) disagreed with Saint Thomas citing his arguments as unconvincing. Bellarmine taught that precisely because they are secure in their salvation, and permanently united to God, that they have a greater love for Him than the wayfarers, although he did not concede that they are aware of our particular circumstances. The Tridentine doctor, Francisco Suárez (De poenit., disp. xlvii, s. 2, n. 9), Bellarmine’s contemporary and fellow Jesuit, asserts more. He argues thus: “that the souls in purgatory are holy, are dear to God, love us with a true love and are mindful of our wants; that they know in a general way our necessities and our dangers, and how great is our need of divine help and divine grace”.

Continued below.
Can the Souls in Purgatory Pray for Us?

Joyous Song

Jun 5, 2020
Buffalo
✟46,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As we pray this month for the holy souls in purgatory a question may arise: Can the souls in purgatory pray for us — and do they?

This is a question that I have been asked recently. I always assumed that the answer was “yes;” but, after doing some research in the Catholic Encyclopedia I see that the question has been open to opinion, or least it used to be before the sixteenth century. There is no definitive teaching of the Church, however, on the subject; even the ordinary magisterium, which is infallible as to what has been held by the faithful throughout the centuries, does not provide a unanimous affirmative. What is unanimous, and scriptural, and defined (Trent), is that our prayers on earth alleviate the Church suffering, and, most especially, the holy sacrifice of the Mass. How is that? By reducing their suffering and shortening the time of their purgation. What greater motive could we have to show our love for our departed family and friends? And, lest we forget the Savior’s command, what greater charity could we have than offering prayers for our departed enemies, or those who hurt us in some way during our life?

St. Thomas (II-II.83.11) denies that the souls in purgatory pray for the living, and states they are not in a position to pray for us, rather we must make intercession for them.

Saint Robert Bellarmine (De Purgatorio, lib. II, xv,) disagreed with Saint Thomas citing his arguments as unconvincing. Bellarmine taught that precisely because they are secure in their salvation, and permanently united to God, that they have a greater love for Him than the wayfarers, although he did not concede that they are aware of our particular circumstances. The Tridentine doctor, Francisco Suárez (De poenit., disp. xlvii, s. 2, n. 9), Bellarmine’s contemporary and fellow Jesuit, asserts more. He argues thus: “that the souls in purgatory are holy, are dear to God, love us with a true love and are mindful of our wants; that they know in a general way our necessities and our dangers, and how great is our need of divine help and divine grace”.

Continued below.
Can the Souls in Purgatory Pray for Us?

I agree with St. Thomas or at least, even if they could if they did they would likely not be in purgatory but holy enough and pure enough for heaven, After all, praying for someone you do not know takes a level of love only holiness likely can grant. That's just my understanding.

Still we cannot really know whose in purgatory and whose in Heaven. HaShem judges not like we judge. And those heaven certainly do pray for us, likely all the time.

Upvote 0