Can someone please tell me the basic Pentecostal beliefs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaptizedbytheHolySpirit

Jan 7, 2008
South Carolina
✟15,228.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Can someone please tell me the basic Pentecostal beliefs. I do know alot about the faith because my boyfriend is Pentecostal and I read a lot in order to not be ignorant on other people's beliefs as well. Still, I'd like to know in more like a list form of some sort the basic Pentecostal beliefs. According to my boyfriend's Uncle if we are to get married he wants us both Baptized by him in the Lake before the marriage takes place. He is already Baptized by his Uncle. Though I am Baptized, I am not of his particular denomination. Do Pentecostals "rebaptize"?

When do they consider you officially Penetecostal and what sort of classes do you go through before Baptism? They are Russian/Ukranian Holiness Pentecostals. Still, in their particular church the women wear pants. Especially those considered young or middle aged. I've only seen the older women such as his grandma not wear them and continue to cover her head at all times instead of just at Church. She was previously Eastern Orthodox before becoming Pentecostal and then the family since then has been of the faith.

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
I'm totally the wrong person to answer this question. Although I'm Pentecostol, I in no way a traditional Pentecostol. I just wanted to tell you to wait on the answer ... someone will post ... I know several I can think of off hand who could answer this very well. After they do ... I'll come back and see if I should add my thoughts. God bless and keep seeking ... you will find the answer you're looking for. The only thing I could offer right now is don't let God's word and will get overcomplicated ... it's really not as hard as it is made out to be. And keep your heart open so you can hear him. God bless ... belle

Upvote 0

BaptizedbytheHolySpirit

Jan 7, 2008
South Carolina
✟15,228.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The truth is, I do know God's word very well, which in my own personal walk with him has kept me Catholic instead of straying, still I know this is something my bf wants me to learn about and not completely turn away from, because his faith means so much to him. We have considered being Missionaries together. People, have said I should be a motivational speaker since I know the word of God so well, and am so close to him. Still, I made it a point to learn very deeply about the Pentecostal faith for my boyfriend so we both as Christians regardless of denominational differences, who feel we are meant to be joined by God forever, will make wise decesions according to God's will.

Upvote 0

seekthetruth909

Veteran
Dec 14, 2005
✟16,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can someone please tell me the basic Pentecostal beliefs. I do know alot about the faith because my boyfriend is Pentecostal and I read a lot in order to not be ignorant on other people's beliefs as well. Still, I'd like to know in more like a list form of some sort the basic Pentecostal beliefs. According to my boyfriend's Uncle if we are to get married he wants us both Baptized by him in the Lake before the marriage takes place. He is already Baptized by his Uncle. Though I am Baptized, I am not of his particular denomination. Do Pentecostals "rebaptize"?

When do they consider you officially Penetecostal and what sort of classes do you go through before Baptism? They are Russian/Ukranian Holiness Pentecostals. Still, in their particular church the women wear pants. Especially those considered young or middle aged. I've only seen the older women such as his grandma not wear them and continue to cover her head at all times instead of just at Church. She was previously Eastern Orthodox before becoming Pentecostal and then the family since then has been of the faith.

The only differences between Pentecostals and other mainstream Christian denominations is that Pentecostals believe that in addition to water baptism, there is a baptism of the Holy Spirit.Pentecostals also believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are for today. [Read Acts] Tongues, prophecy, and healing are the most common gifts present in Pentecostal churches today.
After these core beliefs Pentecostal churches can be quite different. Some are more legalistic on how they dress and behave etc. and others are not. Some are very mainstream and don't use their gifts in services, while others display their gifts [ tongues etc.] in services.
Many women like Pentecostal churches because woman are allowed to preach unlike many Baptist churches which don't allow women to preach. Visit the Assemblies of God website to have a more complete understanding of Pentecostal beliefs.

God Bless

Upvote 0

BaptizedbytheHolySpirit

Jan 7, 2008
South Carolina
✟15,228.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Seek the truth, sorry if I sound foward, but Catholics also believe in Baptism by the Holy Spirit. It is the Baptism that Catholics believe is also referred to as Confirmation. Mainly meaning your faith is now officially confirmed, in the Lord. You receive the Holy Spirit at this point, and his graces.

Upvote 0

bithiah2

Jah is my strength and song!
Jun 12, 2006
metro
✟18,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You asked good questions, as the others say there are different types of Pentecostal churches. i attend a Foursquare church, and as far as i know there are no classes to go through before being baptized. according to the Bible if a person repents of their sins and asks God for salvation, they can be baptized (Acts 2:38). in the Pentecostal church, they baptize under the water, not by sprinking. so they will baptize someone again if they have been sprinkled. in the Pentecostal church, we believe that God still does miracles, and that He still gives spiritual gifts according to I Cor 12 and 14. and we believe that when a person is baptized in the Holy Spirit, they will speak in tongues according to Acts 2:4.
so... that is what we believe in our church, most Pentecostal churches believe the same thing.
you can always look online, if you google Pentecostal beliefs, it will tell you more.
blessings
bithiah2:groupray:

Upvote 0

Mathetes the kerux

Tales of a Twice Born Man
Aug 1, 2004
Santa Rosa CA
Visit site
✟8,217.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The most basic Pentecostal theological requisites are this:

1. Gifts of the Spirit are for today
2. There is a subsequent experience AFTER salvation called "Baptism in the Spirit" (or any one of a number of other terms)
3. Speaking in tongues is the initial physical evidence of this Baptism in the Spirit

There are other common doctrines . . . but these are the basics that STRICTLY define Pentecostalism.

Upvote 0

seekthetruth909

Veteran
Dec 14, 2005
✟16,813.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Seek the truth, sorry if I sound foward, but Catholics also believe in Baptism by the Holy Spirit. It is the Baptism that Catholics believe is also referred to as Confirmation. Mainly meaning your faith is now officially confirmed, in the Lord. You receive the Holy Spirit at this point, and his graces.
I wouldn't consider confirmation the same as baptism by the Holy Spirit.
I was raised a Catholic and like most Catholics, when I received confirmation as a child, I had not even completely made up my mind about God. Pentecostals as far as my experience goes, do not baptize young children. You have to be old enough to make a conscience decision to accept Christ before being baptized.
On the other hand there are some charismatic Catholics who have been baptized by the Holy Spirit as adults.
Seek

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
The only differences between Pentecostals and other mainstream Christian denominations is that Pentecostals believe that in addition to water baptism, there is a baptism of the Holy Spirit.Pentecostals also believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are for today. [Read Acts] Tongues, prophecy, and healing are the most common gifts present in Pentecostal churches today.
After these core beliefs Pentecostal churches can be quite different. Some are more legalistic on how they dress and behave etc. and others are not. Some are very mainstream and don't use their gifts in services, while others display their gifts [ tongues etc.] in services.
Many women like Pentecostal churches because woman are allowed to preach unlike many Baptist churches which don't allow women to preach. Visit the Assemblies of God website to have a more complete understanding of Pentecostal beliefs.

God Bless
Yep, that seems to fit. I'd like to add that I'm very glad God led me to an Assemblies of God church that is not legalistic, but focuses more on love and grace. If I had not found such a church, I would never have been interested in becoming Pentecostal. That's because I think a strong grace focus is fundamental to what Jesus intended, and that legalism is contrary to it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟829,883.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The most basic Pentecostal theological requisites are this:

1. Gifts of the Spirit are for today
2. There is a subsequent experience AFTER salvation called "Baptism in the Spirit" (or any one of a number of other terms)
3. Speaking in tongues is the initial physical evidence of this Baptism in the Spirit

There are other common doctrines . . . but these are the basics that STRICTLY define Pentecostalism.
As usual,sound advice from 'mathetes!'

Upvote 0
O

onelamb

Yes, all Christians are baptised BY the Holy Spirit into the Body of Christ at the moment of salvation-"for by one spirit you were all baptised into one body" Yet, Pentecostal's believe (and it's a scripturally sound belief) that there is another baptism-given by Jesus Himself-IN the Holy Spirit--"there is coming One who is mightier than I, it is He who will baptise with the Holy Sprit and fire;."

And according to the scriptural examples we've been given-when this happens-the first physical sign that this has occured is the ability to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enables.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You both sound like you really love the Lord and want to serve him.

From someone who has been in a mixed religion marriage for 50 years - please let me help you in this area and save you many years of problems.

I went with my husband who is Catholic for years, he went with me for years, we became Lutheran and raised our children in the Lutheran faith, which was fine.

But when I discovered the Spirit Filled Walk - all denominational stuff became unimportant.

The last three years my husband and I have really grown in our walk - the way we did it - we get the Bible out and he reads several chapters, we discuss it and look up what we don't understand. Our faith has just become a personal relationship instead of a religion.

Don't listen to other people - just get before God and both of you submit yourself to His leadership and the Guidance of the Holy Spirit - you both have the same objective and was just raised different - as long as you believe the crucified risen Christ, covered by the Blood, Saved by Grace and not works and led by the Holy Spirit - all else will fall into place.

Your love for God does not have to have a label. I know what you mean by being baptised again - I have been dunked, sprinkled and baptised every way possible - got them all covered, none was necessary except the first one. I listened to many people, was disowned by my family and had many years of misery because of mixed religion.

It does not have to be - if you will just get in the Bible - follow the leading of the HOly Spirit and tune everyone else out - you will be just fine.

I pray Blessings upon your ministry together. Your mixed religion just means you can minister to more people.

Upvote 0

okieray

Dec 30, 2006
sallisaw,oklahoma
✟15,620.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You both sound like you really love the Lord and want to serve him.

From someone who has been in a mixed religion marriage for 50 years - please let me help you in this area and save you many years of problems.

I went with my husband who is Catholic for years, he went with me for years, we became Lutheran and raised our children in the Lutheran faith, which was fine.

But when I discovered the Spirit Filled Walk - all denominational stuff became unimportant.

The last three years my husband and I have really grown in our walk - the way we did it - we get the Bible out and he reads several chapters, we discuss it and look up what we don't understand. Our faith has just become a personal relationship instead of a religion.

Don't listen to other people - just get before God and both of you submit yourself to His leadership and the Guidance of the Holy Spirit - you both have the same objective and was just raised different - as long as you believe the crucified risen Christ, covered by the Blood, Saved by Grace and not works and led by the Holy Spirit - all else will fall into place.

Your love for God does not have to have a label. I know what you mean by being baptised again - I have been dunked, sprinkled and baptised every way possible - got them all covered, none was necessary except the first one. I listened to many people, was disowned by my family and had many years of misery because of mixed religion.

It does not have to be - if you will just get in the Bible - follow the leading of the HOly Spirit and tune everyone else out - you will be just fine.

I pray Blessings upon your ministry together. Your mixed religion just means you can minister to more people.
i agree one baptism is enough as long as the believer is at a age to know why they are being baptized and they are fully emerged under the water as john practiced. next is baptism of the holy spirit, for me this took time and prayer but it came and i feel my walk with the lord has increased afterwards its hard to explane unless you have been through it, its great!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.