Can someone explain the Scriptures surrounding Paul & Barnabas, and if they reconciled

quintessentialramble

Mar 7, 2018
New York
✟73,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Specifically curious about the reformed theology on the matter. For those who aren't aware, a brief synopsis on the situation is Paul & Barnabas were both great teachers who sailed together, but there came a rift due to differing viewpoints considering Jon-Mark, another fellow believer. Some believe they reconciled, some believe they did not.
To summarize the theological debate, many consider this a hateful division, or at least a sinful division left unreconciled; while many others might say the division was a mutually agreed upon departure for the sake of the Gospel---this text often comes into play in the non-reformed camps when there is a division that leads to the "let go and let God" mentality, generally claiming it is a loving thing to just let things be. There is probably much more than that to dive into, but that's a base start for the sake of this discussion.

Last edited:

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @quintessentialramble, if memory serves, Mark wanted to return to his position of missionary under Paul and Barnabas on Paul's 2nd missionary journey, but Paul was uncomfortable with that idea because he walked off the mission field during Paul's 1st missionary journey. Barnabas, John Mark's cousin, knew he wanted to go and, apparently, wouldn't take no for an answer from Paul (perhaps his demand had something to do with his being protective of his cousin .. but who really knows?), so Paul headed off with Silas in one direction and Barnabas headed off with John Mark in another (again, if memory serves).

A couple of things to remember about nearly every person in the Bible is this, God lets us see people throughout the OT/NT for who they really are, warts and all, yes? Paul and Barnabas were wonderful, faithful men of God, but they were also fallible/sinful human beings. So they had a disagreement and decided it best to part ways for a time, but I think that we can gather from Paul's Epistle to the Colossians (which was written either during or after his 3rd missionary journey), that all ended well with Paul, Barnabas and John Mark, who remained dear brothers in Christ.

Here's what Paul said in Colossians about John Mark that makes me think that's the case. What does it sound like to you?

Colossians 4
10 Aristarchus my fellow prisoner greets you, and Mark the cousin of Barnabas (concerning whom you have received instructions—if he comes to you, welcome him),
11 and Jesus who is called Justus. These are the only men of the circumcision among my fellow workers for the kingdom of God, and they have been a comfort to me.

--David
p.s. - John Mark may not have been the best missionary (again, who really knows), but "missionary" may not have been John Mark's true calling from God anyway. One thing's for sure, he certainly wrote a wonderful Gospel for us as its human author, yes :)

Upvote 0