Can science continue without a belief in God?

Theo Barnsley

Jan 4, 2019
Auckland
✟21,150.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Engaged
Tolworth Jon, when he was suggesting that Hitler was acting in accordance with the ToE.
I suspect that Tolworth Jon is a creationist, who will say anything to try to smear evolutioniary theory. Because no evidence can be provided to support their 'creationist theory', they will just keep throwing mud at Evolutionary theory & hope some of it sticks. Creationism isnt even a theory, it is just based on a dogmatic belief that everything in the bible is true, so creationism has to be true & evolution false.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
@Radagast, I think our discussion got a bit lost...

Here's my last post before we got sidetracked.

They are distinguished by the phrases "to some extent" and "so much so." It's a question of how much interaction there is between my mind and the object of study.

However, since there is no clear dividing line between the two, I don't see that you can claim they are two different things.

Granted. However, if it was you personally (or worse, your child) being eaten, an objective analysis would be difficult.

True, but just for me. Someone else would not have the same kind of difficulty.

In science, there either really is a separation between my mind and the object of study; or the interactions are small enough for me to act as if that separation is there. This is, I would argue, necessary for science to work.

Why?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟241,002.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Do you want to know if there is a God?
Your questions were directed at another, but they intrigued me, so here are my answers. (Feel free to ignore them. I won't be offended.) I would be interested in the answer. I do not know how relevant it would be since there are more variations in the possible character of God than I can imagine and many of them would have zero impact on me. Since I am also unaware of how I could come by this knowledge, the wish to know the answer is not high on my Attention List.

What is it you do believe?
I generally believe nothing, other than in the colloquial sense. e.g. "I believe I shall have breakfast shortly".
I do, however, as a practical matter, accept many things as probably reflecting reality, or certainly being the most likely explanation for what appears to be reality.
Belief, though, demands an unwarranted assumption that what appears to be the case is the case. I have little regard for "eye witness testimony", whether my own, or that of others.

Do you believe it is possible to know, or that some people know there is a God?
It seems many people think they know God. They appear to be confusing "spiritual" experiences, generated by chemical fluxes in the brain in response to environmental factors, with divine revelation of some sort.
I find it more helpful to interpret, experience and enjoy those spiritual moments in a pacific, pantheistic way. But whatever turns your gears, so long as it does not adversely impact on others, or the environment.

Upvote 0