Midwest
✟8,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone. This will be long but I desperately want to keep my wife and family, so here I am looking for Christian advice.

My wife and I have been married for 11 years. Like and marriage, we've had many ups and downs, at least I thought. We are both in our mid 30s with 1 child we absolutely love and were blessed with.

Recently my wife had been distant and not wanting to be much of any kind of affectionate toward me which led to me asking about it. She said she was finally standing up for herself and she was done being touched without permission, I was smothering her, and she basically felt trapped by me. Of course this came to a shock to me, but she finally told me why.

She said I've been controlling our entire marriage and she was done being controlled. I immediately went into defense mode saying I hadn't been and all the denying one usually does when accused.

We went on our anniversary trip we had planned and it ended up being a knock dorm drag out fight most of the time, which of course furthered this.

She proceeded to tell me more as to why she was feeling the way she did. She has felt like a sexual object, not a person, and not able to tell me no for any type of physical activity. She did things for me only because I had thrown a fit, acted mad, said things that hurt her feelings if she didn't want a hug or to have sex whenever I wanted, etc. I never drank until she came in my life. I had noticed it had gotten to where she only wanted sex if she drank enough to get tipsy. She would tell me to get her more drinks until she loosened up some. Well I of course at the time liked this because I was getting what wanted, not realizing she was having to drink to be with me sexually.

Before we had our child she had a very stressful job. It caused her to resent me because I wouldn't let her quit the job and find something different. There aren't too many jobs around where we live, and we had just had our child, so I was looking at things in the way of making sure we could provide for our family until something better came along. It caused many nights of exhaustion, stress, and heartache. 3 years ago now, she did end up getting a much better position at a company she likes with wonderful hours and pay.

I would constantly make her feel like she wasn't enough, and everything had to be my way or no way. I would pick at the smallest things and gripe about them. I even at one time early on said that man and woman once married were supposed to be one together sexually, and be together in that way which I shouldn't have said.

She likes tattoos and I told her I had rather her not getting an entire arm or leg done as I much prefer her natural skin. She wanted black hair at one point, and I told her I preferred other colors.

Never once did I say she couldn't, I just prefer this or that which made her feel inadequate on what she wanted. I never forced her to do anything physical, but my nagging made her when she didn't want to at all.

She has always put what others wanted above her wants, and loves approval from people. She has been this way even growing up with her parents. She did not have a great childhood.

Her parents are divorced and she was glad when they did so the fighting between them would stop.

She further told me she has emotionally checked out of our marriage, and doesn't know if we are able to be fixed.

This threw me into anger at first. But then I realized I hadn't prayed about any of this, or over our marriage in a long time. I then realized I WAS wrong, and that most everything of what she has been saying, is right. I immediately started praying and for forgiveness from God but also from her.

Since this started, I have felt the negativity, and all of this controlling behavior leave me. I have prayed every night, and am a different person. I don't know what was over me, but I felt it lift.

She has noticed the difference since I told her I admitted that I was wrong, and for most of our marriage, I made her feel this hurt and anger towards me. I have no idea why I was this way for so long. I never wanted to hurt her in any way.

Presently, she is sleeping in another bedroom in our house. It is absolutely killing me. She can't have any thing to do with me physically. She said she is nearly traumatized at this point from touch. Not just me, but friends or family even. She doesn't want me seeing her without clothes on right now, and I can't even hug her without her freaking out on me, so everything has stopped.

She said she is very angry, and very hurt, and is processing her feelings on if she can stay together, or if too much damage has been done for her to stay. She doesn't want to leave and wants to try, but she just doesn't know when or how to get through this feeling. She said if I can give her time and space, she will try, but me pushing her will make it worse.

We had a counselor before but I went back after a few weeks to the same old me. She is mad now because she loves the way she's been treated, and thus was the husband she wanted and never got. And now she wonders if too much damage has been done.

Something else I did wrong was she told me she didn't want to be physical with me, but I found one of her toys she was using by herself one time and called her out on it. This made her even more mad which now I see why. It's HER body as well, not mine.

She still calls me babe, takes pictures together, we still go to church together, go out to eat, and she still tells me she loves me. She just needs to process her thoughts and feelings, and it's 10 years worth of bad memories. There are some good, and she's trying to focus on them.

She said she isn't ready to tell a counselor everything she's felt, but may can get there to help her process.

I gel feel absolutely worthless, and like the worst man on the earth right now. Why didn't I see these things before. Why didn't I pray through until it released?

My friends have went through some rough times as well and have nearly divorced. They have been in the same boat. They said give her time and the space she wants. God can heal I know that. I have faith, but it's so hard to roll over and not have her in our bed, and in the guest room instead. Neither of us want to raise our child in a split home. She just says she can't get over this anger and hurt right now, and time is what she needs.

I would love advice, and does it sound like she may stay? We had our normal talk/snack/drink together tonight and shared some laughs together. She sent me some funny pictures about things we joke about a lot. I think she wants to work things out, she just needs to see that this husband I am now, offering help, not being negative, basically the husband she wants, is here to stay.

I just want her to heal from our lady past, and have more positive years than bad. Does this seem possible in our situation? Thank you to whoever takes time to help give advice on this!

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone. This will be long but I desperately want to keep my wife and family, so here I am looking for Christian advice.

My wife and I have been married for 11 years. Like and marriage, we've had many ups and downs, at least I thought. We are both in our mid 30s with 1 child we absolutely love and were blessed with.

Recently my wife had been distant and not wanting to be much of any kind of affectionate toward me which led to me asking about it. She said she was finally standing up for herself and she was done being touched without permission, I was smothering her, and she basically felt trapped by me. Of course this came to a shock to me, but she finally told me why.

She said I've been controlling our entire marriage and she was done being controlled. I immediately went into defense mode saying I hadn't been and all the denying one usually does when accused.

We went on our anniversary trip we had planned and it ended up being a knock dorm drag out fight most of the time, which of course furthered this.

She proceeded to tell me more as to why she was feeling the way she did. She has felt like a sexual object, not a person, and not able to tell me no for any type of physical activity. She did things for me only because I had thrown a fit, acted mad, said things that hurt her feelings if she didn't want a hug or to have sex whenever I wanted, etc. I never drank until she came in my life. I had noticed it had gotten to where she only wanted sex if she drank enough to get tipsy. She would tell me to get her more drinks until she loosened up some. Well I of course at the time liked this because I was getting what wanted, not realizing she was having to drink to be with me sexually.

Before we had our child she had a very stressful job. It caused her to resent me because I wouldn't let her quit the job and find something different. There aren't too many jobs around where we live, and we had just had our child, so I was looking at things in the way of making sure we could provide for our family until something better came along. It caused many nights of exhaustion, stress, and heartache. 3 years ago now, she did end up getting a much better position at a company she likes with wonderful hours and pay.

I would constantly make her feel like she wasn't enough, and everything had to be my way or no way. I would pick at the smallest things and gripe about them. I even at one time early on said that man and woman once married were supposed to be one together sexually, and be together in that way which I shouldn't have said.

She likes tattoos and I told her I had rather her not getting an entire arm or leg done as I much prefer her natural skin. She wanted black hair at one point, and I told her I preferred other colors.

Never once did I say she couldn't, I just prefer this or that which made her feel inadequate on what she wanted. I never forced her to do anything physical, but my nagging made her when she didn't want to at all.

She has always put what others wanted above her wants, and loves approval from people. She has been this way even growing up with her parents. She did not have a great childhood.

Her parents are divorced and she was glad when they did so the fighting between them would stop.

She further told me she has emotionally checked out of our marriage, and doesn't know if we are able to be fixed.

This threw me into anger at first. But then I realized I hadn't prayed about any of this, or over our marriage in a long time. I then realized I WAS wrong, and that most everything of what she has been saying, is right. I immediately started praying and for forgiveness from God but also from her.

Since this started, I have felt the negativity, and all of this controlling behavior leave me. I have prayed every night, and am a different person. I don't know what was over me, but I felt it lift.

She has noticed the difference since I told her I admitted that I was wrong, and for most of our marriage, I made her feel this hurt and anger towards me. I have no idea why I was this way for so long. I never wanted to hurt her in any way.

Presently, she is sleeping in another bedroom in our house. It is absolutely killing me. She can't have any thing to do with me physically. She said she is nearly traumatized at this point from touch. Not just me, but friends or family even. She doesn't want me seeing her without clothes on right now, and I can't even hug her without her freaking out on me, so everything has stopped.

She said she is very angry, and very hurt, and is processing her feelings on if she can stay together, or if too much damage has been done for her to stay. She doesn't want to leave and wants to try, but she just doesn't know when or how to get through this feeling. She said if I can give her time and space, she will try, but me pushing her will make it worse.

We had a counselor before but I went back after a few weeks to the same old me. She is mad now because she loves the way she's been treated, and thus was the husband she wanted and never got. And now she wonders if too much damage has been done.

Something else I did wrong was she told me she didn't want to be physical with me, but I found one of her toys she was using by herself one time and called her out on it. This made her even more mad which now I see why. It's HER body as well, not mine.

She still calls me babe, takes pictures together, we still go to church together, go out to eat, and she still tells me she loves me. She just needs to process her thoughts and feelings, and it's 10 years worth of bad memories. There are some good, and she's trying to focus on them.

She said she isn't ready to tell a counselor everything she's felt, but may can get there to help her process.

I gel feel absolutely worthless, and like the worst man on the earth right now. Why didn't I see these things before. Why didn't I pray through until it released?

My friends have went through some rough times as well and have nearly divorced. They have been in the same boat. They said give her time and the space she wants. God can heal I know that. I have faith, but it's so hard to roll over and not have her in our bed, and in the guest room instead. Neither of us want to raise our child in a split home. She just says she can't get over this anger and hurt right now, and time is what she needs.

I would love advice, and does it sound like she may stay? We had our normal talk/snack/drink together tonight and shared some laughs together. She sent me some funny pictures about things we joke about a lot. I think she wants to work things out, she just needs to see that this husband I am now, offering help, not being negative, basically the husband she wants, is here to stay.

I just want her to heal from our lady past, and have more positive years than bad. Does this seem possible in our situation? Thank you to whoever takes time to help give advice on this!
Welcome to CF. Sounds like a lot of pent up anger has made it's way to the surface. Time heals so give it to her. Be patient, kind and respectful during that time. Seems like you have made strides in these areas so good for you ! I cant speak to what was going on in the marriage bed however what I do know is a selfish lover will eventually get shut down. Maybe start from the beginning by learning the art.

Blessings.

Reactions: Herein23
Upvote 0

Herein23

Jul 4, 2023
Midwest
✟8,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF. Sounds like a lot of pent up anger has made it's way to the surface. Time heals so give it to her. Be patient, kind and respectful during that time. Seems like you have made strides in these areas so good for you ! I cant speak to what was going on in the marriage bed however what I do know is a selfish lover will eventually get shut down. Maybe start from the beginning by learning the art.

Blessings.
Thank you. It absolutely has along with the hurt. I have absolutely prayed and changed my heart over the last week. I'm just so angry at myself for why I didn't see these things when she was telling me. I hope there is still hope for us. I've prayed for forgiveness not only from God, but from her, and to set me free of this negative behavior.

It's good that she sees a difference, but she is having a hard time understanding how I can do this. I think she is having some issues with faith too through all of this.

I am trusting in God. It just sets me back when she says she doesn't know if we can get past this and her not feel this way anymore. I told her she has all the time she needs, I will be here for her.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
From what you've described, I'd say, yes, the marriage can be healed, but it will take time. If she's been in a constant state of fear for the last 11 years, it will take time for that to heal. If she's able to experience a span of months or years of marriage without the controlling behavior, I think that will help her to trust again. Counseling may help when she's ready. If there are elements from her family of origin that make her afraid to say "no" to people (including you), then counseling may help her work through that as well.

I hear some very encouraging things in your post. You've both acknowledged and talked out loud about the controlling behavior, and that's an important first step. You've said that you're working on being less controlling, and that you've prayed about it, and that's wonderful. (Changing that habit will probably also take time.) It sounds like you're both willing to stick with the marriage and work together for healing, and that's an excellent place to be.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟72,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I would love advice, and does it sound like she may stay?
We are totally dependent on God. He made us male and female and he has a plan for us to join us together. Apart from God, there is not much we can do. So you just need to continue to pray and seek God in your marriage.

Upvote 0

Herein23

Jul 4, 2023
Midwest
✟8,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is SO hard for me to be patient. I know this took years of my actions to get her this hurt and angry, and it's not going to change overnight, but it hurts so much to roll over in bed and it's empty, even if she's just in the room next door.

It hurts leaving for work and her not even attempting for a small kiss. I realize these things may or may not come back, and probably will take a long while if so, but she is worth it.

I just wish and pray she can forgive me and move on from the past and look forward. I really only think she stayed and is considering making this work due to not wanting to split our family up. Neither of us want that, and maybe me showing I've changed while she's here will help.

I'm just ready for the time she comes and says okay, let's do this. We're figuring this out tonight and what were gonna do to stay together. Or they she's forgiven me and we're moving forward.

Upvote 0

Herein23

Jul 4, 2023
Midwest
✟8,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Each day seems to get worse for me. I am so much more sensitive to things that I never eve noticed before. I have cried daily and I don't cry. I have begged God for forgiveness for how I treated her, as well as him to open her heart forgiveness for me.

Small things around the house she always wanted me to do, I find joy in doing them for her now knowing it makes her happy. She isn't asking me to do everything, just small things that show I listen here and there.

Her coming home to a nice clean home and no stress (other than us now) I hope helps.

She has only talked to me today about our daughter this morning mostly. Since then, silence. Monday at work, she talked to me quite a bit. The back and forth and not knowing is just killing me. I am just mostly staying silent, out of her way, and here for her when she wants me to be.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praying.. Have you tried both talking to someone a pastor a counselor? There are always two sides to a story. I truly know exactly how you feel.. been with my wife for almost 40 years now and there were so times you could never see the thread holding us together.

Not here to give advice since I only hear one side... I was just sitting here thinking .. see what I do have always done is I put myself in it.. and was thinking.. something comes to mine is .. to get away.. to go somewhere to.. like take a trip even for a day or two where you leave behind and just enjoy the moment. I would think what did she like in me when she 1st saw me.. what did we do. Some times you want to just get away even for a moment. I don't know. Praying..

Know He hears you.. know He did forgive you. Its hard to this if we have not been living for Him. So give it to Him.. know there is NOTHING to hard for Him. If I don't know what to do.. I can ask Him for wisdom and no matter how I FEEL once I asked I know He gives it. One simple idea can change everything. Praying

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Herein23

Jul 4, 2023
Midwest
✟8,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praying.. Have you tried both talking to someone a pastor a counselor? There are always two sides to a story. I truly know exactly how you feel.. been with my wife for almost 40 years now and there were so times you could never see the thread holding us together.

Not here to give advice since I only hear one side... I was just sitting here thinking .. see what I do have always done is I put myself in it.. and was thinking.. something comes to mine is .. to get away.. to go somewhere to.. like take a trip even for a day or two where you leave behind and just enjoy the moment. I would think what did she like in me when she 1st saw me.. what did we do. Some times you want to just get away even for a moment. I don't know. Praying..
We did a counselor this time last year over the whole not allowing to quit her job situation and putting her first. While it helped, I think I didn't hold my end up, and I fell lazy and not caring again. This time it's me recommending counseling, and she says she's open to it again, just not ready to let go of her anger and hurt.

She's having faith issues right now also, and not sure our pastor is who she'd want to talk to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Herein23

Jul 4, 2023
Midwest
✟8,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We are going out for a dinner date for her birthday tomorrow, and our daughter is coming too. She said she's not sure she can go out just us 2 for a romantic evening just yet.

At least she's still here and maybe I can stop being so emotionally upset and show her I am positive and can be again, and that will help her out some.

Upvote 0

Herein23

Jul 4, 2023
Midwest
✟8,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We had a talk tonight and I definitely don't feel great about it. She said she is angry and hurt and can not forgive me. And said she's going to say some things that really hurt my feelings. I told her to let me have it all and she had to get it out.

Basically she says she's at a place where she can no longer trust me and doesn't see her ever getting past that. She can't see a future where she's not being hurt. No amount of change I've done now can erase the past. She also says we've had this almost same argument a year ago and here we are again. She is an idiot if she tries again.

She feels like she got cheated out of marriage and regrets marrying me. She feels she wasted a decade of her life.

She has now stopped saying she loves me as well. I told her she was going to have to get through and process all of these feelings and it was part of the healing process and she said she's not going to heal.

For everything good I point out about our marriage, which there is a lot of good from, she responds with something negative no matter what. And says if she keeps coming back to me, she's the insane one.

She doesn't want to split our family up, but feels it would be much better of a future with our child to be in a single mom home than in a marriage home that she can't stand her husband in and is full of resentment.

I have prayed all day and night for her to be able to forgive me and for God to heal her heart. It really feels as though she is gone now. She can't see a future because there's nothing but 10 years of crap to go off.

We are supposed to go for dinner this evening for her birthday. I'm going to continue to show her I have changed until I'm handed papers. This is the worst feeling I've ever experienced.

Upvote 0

Herein23

Jul 4, 2023
Midwest
✟8,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And she just got home from work. First time she's never had her ring on. I just said immediately, forget your ring?

She said she stopped wearing it to the gym bc I told her not to when the weights and her ring were making her fingers red.

She's only forgotten her ring maybe 4 or 5 times in our marriage when we were rushing to get ready for something. She forgot it all day?

I truly feel like she is screaming at me she is done and moved on, and I'm holding on to nothing.

Every time I pray it gets worse feeling. I hate this. Every second of these last 2 weeks has been the most miserable I've ever felt. She said last night she feels bad because she should be feeling sympathy for me and us making up by now, but she doesn't and has no care at all for how bad I feel. She is completely numb to every emotion I've sent her during this.

Upvote 0

Herein23

Jul 4, 2023
Midwest
✟8,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tonight went amazingly well!!!

We went out, my wife, me, and our child, for her birthday. It was the most refreshing time I think we've had in weeks.

I can absolutely tell a difference in myself, and I think she noticed as well. We went shopping afterwards and let her just look around. Usually halfway through I'm griping and complaining. Tonight was a relief. We were both walking close together, she didn't act weird if we brushed against each other, and I even lightly touched her back one time and she didn't act weird at all. I didn't push, didn't bring our situation up, any of that. We just had a wonderful night.

On the way home I did get a little sad, knowing this is how I should have been the entire time we've been together. I wasn't horrible every time, but a lot of times I was for no reason at all. I don't want to over analyze, but I really think she noticed.

She was texting with her mom, pretty sure about how she's feeling and before I went to bed. I told her I loved her and she said she loved me too. When I opened the door she said she had a really great time tonight and thanked me.

I know this won't change her mind overnight, but I think I definitely made a good impression. Still praying she stays with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Herein23

Jul 4, 2023
Midwest
✟8,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I got up and brought something into the living room last night and she was sitting still. She said she was done talking with her mom and I could stay and talk if I wanted. I asked if I could sit by her and she said sure.

We watched videos until 2 this morning. Our arms would occasionally touch and she let the contact happen. She never really pulled away unless it was to get more comfortable.

We laughed a lot and just enjoyed each other's company. At some point something came up about kids and she said yeah we have to get us straightened out before that happens again.

I made her a late night snack, didn't push anything and went to sleep after. She is still sleeping in the guest bedroom though which I hate, but understand if she needs that still.

I don't expect last night to change too much about her feelings, but hopefully it's a good start.

Upvote 0

Herein23

Jul 4, 2023
Midwest
✟8,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She touched up some of shaving my head today and unfortunately it gave her a anxiety attack. She then said last night taking felt too close and once or twice she backed away just a little.

She said everything I'm doing and saying is right, and she sees a change in me. Unfortunately she says I sexually abused her. This coming from me getting frustrated or mad that she didn't want to be physical, and to keep me from getting mad, she just did it go keep the peace. Me continuing to engage in sex with her when she didn't really want to has caused her to not be able to be around me or want to be romantic now.

I understand this completely, but I at the time just thought I was like most guys that got turned down and would sigh out loud or say something like you never want to do anything when I want to, or just be visibly irritated. There was never any type of physical abuse.

So now she says she knows we can't continue to just be good friends that are roommates. We have to have the romantic aspect, but she doesn't know if she can move past that. She thinks a counselor will tell her not to go back to her abuser, so there's that.

Is there still any hope of getting through this? I feel completely lost, but I'm willing to give her all the time and space she needs. I just don't know what else to do.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟449,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes it can be saved. Believe me. I'm not saying your marriage will be saved but it can.

On here all you're going to get is encouragement, because we are not able to offer the kind of advice and feedback that you need. I do strongly suggest you get counseling - if not together than just you. If the counselor doesn't seem to fit, find another. Not all are suited for every situation.

The system that is your marriage was created over years, so it won't change in a few days or weeks. It's good your wife stood up for herself - while you own your faults totally, every marriage system is co-created. Had she done nothing, then there would be no opportunity to evolve into a thriving marriage. Her making a move, as you saw, forces changes to your marriage system and gives your marriage a chance. It also gives you the opportunity to work on you.

If you are willing to continue examining yourself, one resource I can suggest is Passionately Married. Dr. Corey and Pam Allen are Christians who are dedicated to helping people learn how to build a thriving marriage by working on themselves. Home - Passionately Married Lots of resources, many of which will be relevant to you (though they cover a broad range of topics so some will not be relevant and some hopefully will be in the future). You may have to hunt a bit; they do have "starter packs" of podcast episodes, the Healing one might be closest to providing info for you. There is also an on-line community that may be of help. Prayers for both of you.

Upvote 0