Can looking too young work against you? (Physical limitations)

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I totally understand what you're getting at. It's just that I honestly don't drink a lot so it's not as big of an issue for me (plus, that limitation wouldn't last forever). Besides, due to age, a 23-year-old like myself might be more in line with the norms of an 18-to-20-year-old than someone like you. Our respective age gaps obviously differ significantly. If an 18-year-old woman is 5 years younger than me but 11 years younger than you, things are obviously going to be different.

I'll admit, its almost a requirement that she drinks with me. I don't want anyone on the band wagon but I also don't want an alcoholic either. I took care of my problems several years ago so if she can't get a hold of her problems without getting on the wagon, find someone else on the wagon because I'm not on it and I want to buy my lady a drink and treat her out with wine, some good beer and good food a good amount of time but I wouldn't put drinking on the same level of morals or sex...or maybe I do but anywho...

Ok I'll put it like this...
You are 23...would you want to be with someone who can't drive because of age? Now of course it wouldn't matter for you. You seem like a nice guy. You'd no doubt be the type of guy to pick her up without that much of problem. Also, there are plenty of good, responsible drivers who are young and female correct?

Yet, do you want someone that cannot drive because of their age as a romantic partner...even if the statute of limitation would be set at 15?

Upvote 0

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'd rather my potential wifey not work at a fast food restaurant. If anything, I'd try to "save" her from that drudgery. :)

If she spent any amount of time with me at all, she would realize her inner power and quit. lol

But what I'm saying is, I don't value status in women. It's literally meaningless to me.

Upvote 0

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ok I'll put it like this...
You are 23...would you want to be with someone who can't drive because of age? Now of course it wouldn't matter for you. You seem like a nice guy. You'd no doubt be the type of guy to pick her up without that much of problem. Also, there are plenty of good, responsible drivers who are young and female correct?

Yet, do you want someone that cannot drive because of their age as a romantic partner...even if the statute of limitation would be set at 15?

Well, for me I'm not so much arguing that we should take an anything goes mentality when it comes to dating as long as she's legal; I guess my point was that I'd be willing to date a woman who is 19 or 20. Just because I could legally date a 16-year-old where I live doesn't mean I would (I wouldn't, in fact).

Also keep in mind that I wouldn't date an 18- or 19-year-old if I saw her as nothing more than a teenybopper. If she didn't have a maturity level that wasn't on par with me or at least advanced for her age, I wouldn't consider her. In essence, I'd rather date a 20-year-old woman who was mature for her age than a 21-year-old woman who could drink but acted like a child.

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Oh and Howie the only rule of exception, would ever go down to 21. I will not date someone that cannot drink alcohol legally. I turn 30 next year...21 years old is young enough let alone someone younger than that...seems like I'd be dating a child.

As someone who is 21, I have to agree with you. Not that drinking is everything, but by the time you're 21 you have a lot more experience and usually a bit more practical knowledge than someone younger.

I have the BIGGEST crush on this girl. But she's 18, and I can see that even though she "works" in her mind just fine, it's also showing how young she is. And that is really turning me off from making it any more than a crush.

Upvote 0

Oddish

May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD.
Jun 20, 2009
✟31,510.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am 21 but I sometimes get IDed for a lottery ticket which you have to be 16 for. Quite a few people on my uni course have been taken aback when I told them my age as they thought I looked younger than them. Sometimes people will patronise me or not listen to my views which kind of irritates me to be honest but it is not a huge problem.

Upvote 0

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Man, you guys should try being almost 30 and still looking like a teenager! It has most certainly hindered me in almost every facet of life - career, with women, you name it. As Rodney Dangerfield would say, "I don't get no respect." And it tends to be true, I'm afraid.

As much as I may know what I am talking about, it would be a lie for me to say that it hasn't resulted in a great deal of discrimination against me, albeit much of it is simply because people only judge by appearances. I carry myself well and do not act like a child, but in the eyes of many shallow people who only judge by looks, it has most definitely held me back in some vein or another.

I don't bemoan it - rather, I try to embrace it. However, I am having a brief moment of clarity to see past the standard veil of optimism that usually clouds my eyes.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
You seriously look like a teenager, at 30? I'll admit I've skipped some longer posts, but did you say anything about facial hair? 'Cause that tends to make a person look older and it has the added bonus of looking kinda sexy to some ladies. :D

Upvote 0

Howard Cneal

Oct 26, 2010
✟16,809.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
You seriously look like a teenager, at 30? I'll admit I've skipped some longer posts, but did you say anything about facial hair? 'Cause that tends to make a person look older and it has the added bonus of looking kinda sexy to some ladies. :D

Yeah. I don't like it.

I've tried it, and it's not me. And at the same time, I welcome the suggestion because I appreciate the intent, but the fact of the matter is, if I have to change in order to appease *others* then I become something I don't want. That would be like me saying to a woman that she must change her hair color, hair style or get it all cut off in order to be accepted by others.

I just don't see the value in doing it for those reasons. If I liked it, it would be different.

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah. I don't like it.

I've tried it, and it's not me. And at the same time, I welcome the suggestion because I appreciate the intent, but the fact of the matter is, if I have to change in order to appease *others* then I become something I don't want. That would be like me saying to a woman that she must change her hair color, hair style or get it all cut off in order to be accepted by others.

I just don't see the value in doing it for those reasons. If I liked it, it would be different.

Oh I didn't mean to suggest changing yourself to please others, but to change yourself to please yourself. I just know that if I was frustrated with an aspect of my looks, I'd change it to make myself happier. For instance, I know that I look older (than I usually do, so about my actual age) with shorter hair. Well, about 2 years ago, I started growing my hair longer because I wanted to look younger and was sick of people thinking I was the older sister (my sister is 2 years older than me). I still prefer having my hair shorter, but I keep it longer to look younger.

Upvote 0

Obzocky

Senior Contributor
Dec 24, 2009
Rain Land
✟33,236.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I am 21 but I sometimes get IDed for a lottery ticket which you have to be 16 for.

^_^
I know the pain. There's making sure someone looks over 25 and there's being over cautious just in case the person is a plant who could see you fired and fined. It's silly. Well, not really silly as it serves a purpose, but when they get all het up about it happening (there's always leaks) and suddenly the woman who just goes "yeah yeah, just pay it and leave" is IDing everyone your face goes all eh? Getting IDed to buy Batman begins was a low point.

Funny how looking young can effect how someone interprets your opinion. I think it can happen almost anywhere when people start thinking about life views vs. life experience.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

StevenK

I'm just really fat. Although, I have lost around 60 lbs in the last two years. Otherwise I have been told that I'm good looking.

Also I've been told that I'm very young looking...

Before I lost my weight:
fat me.jpg

And this one is after I had lost about 50 lbs. I'm still losing.
less fat.jpg

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I guess I just hid fat away well on my body. Most people I know kept saying "you never looked that fat to me" but I weighed about 278 lbs at one point. I weigh almost exactly 220 right now, and I'm supposed to weight around 180-190.
I seriously look like the before, but I'm not 278 by any means.

How tall are you?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
S

StevenK

I'm 5'11"...I guess you really do hide your fat well.

I weight 195 and I look just like you did. Except possibly stronger because I lift weights and do moderate exercise and eat well and stuff.

I'm actually quite strong myself...I used to lift weight. These days I almost only run, and I run a lot. It's why I've lost so much weight. But back in the day I could bench around 200lbs, among other things. I remember I could leg press nearly 500 lbs.

Anyway, not to brag. But another reason why I can weigh more and look about the same is possibly because I have a very wide body...can't tell in those pics but I have one with me standing close to my mom and you can tell how wide my shoulders are there. Having a wider frame can make it easier to weigh more.

Upvote 0

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm not very athletic. I'm not physically unable, but I'm slow and uncoordinated, and I have a terribly slow metabolism. And it shows in my appearance. 8 years of constant training in football and other sports didn't help. I'll never have the lean muscle mass that makes an attractive body.

Upvote 0