Can it be a sin for a Christian mother to have a career outside the home?

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Lesson 11: The Influence Of Godly Mothers (2 Timothy 1:5; 3:14-17)" Steven J. Cole. Bible.org. The influence of the feminist movement has caused the status of motherhood to decline. Women are encouraged to find fulfillment in a career, not in raising children. If kids come along, they are dropped off at the day care center, sometimes even as infants.

2 Timothy 1:5, 3:14-17

5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.

14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it 15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
1. Godly mothers are women of sincere faith (1:5).
2. Godly mothers honor God’s Word and train their children in it (3:14-17).
3. Godly mothers have great influence on their children.

How does Titus 2:4-5 apply?

4 and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.
Teach Sound Doctrine (Titus 2)

2 But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine. 2 Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. 3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, 4 and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. 6 Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled. 7 Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, 8 and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us. 9 Bondservants are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, 10 not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.

11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, 12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

15 Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you.​

Reactions: Pavel Mosko

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
On only what you said.. we have not say nor do we tell others what GODS word is really saying. God is really good at what He starts in someone He no us but He will finish. So women can have a career out side of the home. You asked yet its up to them not us. Between them and their God.

Now based on this " Women are encouraged to find fulfillment in a career, not in raising children. " Duh.. encouraged to not raising children.. simple answer is.. it would be I think not wise. Again.. its real people were talking about.. lives we know nothing what so ever about. Who are we to tell GODS people GODs children what to do.. not our right. They can pray seek God hear from Him.. He talks walks with us ever day.. HES ALIVE! PRAISE GOD GLORY TO JESUS! AMEN!

So let them seek them pray.. they do what they believe.. again its His word.. not mine to tell anyone what GOD is really saying. I am saying that.. not that you did :)

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't think it is a sin, or at least not automatically, but when talking to Egalitarians I've always wanted to bring up that verse that speaking about "being saved" by child birth. 1 Timothy 2:15

• Agree
Reactions: Aabbie James
Upvote 0

After God's Heart

May 15, 2021
Florida
✟18,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It would be adding to God's law to say that Christian mothers should not work outside the home, however training up God fearing children and shepherding little souls is a HUGE responsibility, one that shouldn't be forsaken for a career. This is something a couple should prayerfully come together to seek God's will in structuring how to appropriately meet the needs of their children, there will be a lot of variables depending on the ages, quantity of children, homeschooling/private school/alternate education options , where the family lives, line of work, etc. Seek to submit to Christ above any career or monetary ambitions whether you work in or out of the home, let your children see your love for the Lord, and train them up according to the scriptures.

When you consider the woman exalted in Proverbs 31, she is diligent: selling linen, gardening, purchasing land....and her children rise up and call her blessed. I'm not claiming anyone can do it all - not by any means - but this is a woman whose takes care of her home and her family really well, contributes to the household income, and is a blessing to her husband. For some families it makes complete sense for the wife to homeschool, tend to all the housework, cooking, while the father is the sole breadwinner. In others the situation may lend itself to the mother working part time or full time, maybe the children are all teens or go to a Christian school and don't require as much hands on attention, or multiple generations (grandparents) live in the house, or there's a family business/farm where everyone is contributing. To call something is a sin, we would need to identify where there is a transgression in God's law - are the parents dishonoring their children in some way, is there something being idolized before God, etc

Upvote 0

Aabbie James

Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It would be adding to God's law to say that Christian mothers should not work outside the home, however training up God fearing children and shepherding little souls is a HUGE responsibility, one that shouldn't be forsaken for a career. This is something a couple should prayerfully come together to seek God's will in structuring how to appropriately meet the needs of their children, there will be a lot of variables depending on the ages, quantity of children, homeschooling/private school/alternate education options , where the family lives, line of work, etc. Seek to submit to Christ above any career or monetary ambitions whether you work in or out of the home, let your children see your love for the Lord, and train them up according to the scriptures.

When you consider the woman exalted in Proverbs 31, she is diligent: selling linen, gardening, purchasing land....and her children rise up and call her blessed. I'm not claiming anyone can do it all - not by any means - but this is a woman whose takes care of her home and her family really well, contributes to the household income, and is a blessing to her husband. For some families it makes complete sense for the wife to homeschool, tend to all the housework, cooking, while the father is the sole breadwinner. In others the situation may lend itself to the mother working part time or full time, maybe the children are all teens or go to a Christian school and don't require as much hands on attention, or multiple generations (grandparents) live in the house, or there's a family business/farm where everyone is contributing. To call something is a sin, we would need to identify where there is a transgression in God's law - are the parents dishonoring their children in some way, is there something being idolized before God, etc
Well, the question says we're speaking about women, who are Christian, who are also mothers. It speaks nothing about if the woman is married, widowed, unwed single, divorced, etc. And, as you point out, there are multiple other variables to consider. Your's would be an excellent biblically based answer to anyone asking this question, especially considering you brought in Proverbs 31 as an example from which to draw from.

It's always good, in my humble opinion, to look to scriptures as a frame of reference, a lens through which to view the questions we have from our experience in this world, so that we can do our best to glorify God in all that we do, and experience more joy in Him, in spirit, and in Christ.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
question says we're speaking about women, who are Christian, who are also mothers. It speaks nothing about if the woman is married, widowed, unwed single, divorced,

The question should really move several stages back. To the dating stage where the question should be asked , " Is he good husband material? " If the answer is no, drop him.
What is the girl looking for.
A husband and Father to her children or a guy who's fun to be with, but who will never commit to one girl?

Look at the science. Children left in creche s do suffer. A mother's influence is vital durring those early preschool years and surprisingly is still important durring the high school years.
Going out to work is possible while they are at school, if that sort of work can be found.
But let's not forget that Father's at all stages are also important to both boys and girls.

They learn through observation how men and women, husbands and wives work together, interacting to support each other.
Fact single parent families are dangerous places for children. Boy friends do not care about those children.
The lack of a Father leads boys to seek an alternative in gangs etc and girls to seek male approval in early sexual activities.

Which brings us back to where the question should have been asked from.
How does a girl evaluate a boy friend?

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟693,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The influence of the feminist movement has caused the status of motherhood to decline.

I'd say it's far more than that, but rather caused western decline in general.

As to the question, is it sin for women to work outside the home, using Titus as your opening, I guess we would have to ask, what does "workers at home" mean?

We notice in 1 Timothy 5, that younger widows are apt to get bored after initial devotion, and turn from such devotion and become what we would describe as "busy bodies", going house to house gossiping and so forth.

So I think "workers at home" can mean just to be women who aren't busy bodies, but rather women who stay in their own home finding productive ways to fill ones time.

Busy bodies the world has its fill of.

In many ways our lives today are different, and many ways our lives today remain the same.

Some of the differences create a situation where western women have more time. No longer are they hauling in the water from the well, it comes from a tap. No longer does water have to be boiled for the washing, it's thrown into a machine, then into another machine to dry, then fold and put away.

Women of old would be so jealous of the ease of life today, but at the same time this ease creates a situation women really do have more time than women had long ago, and far more opportunity for boredom.

So, how do modern women fill the time? Be workers ...

But where? And how?

Not every woman even today is trained in the arts of sewing, of finding those ways to "work" from home. Such things are not valued because they worked outside the home.

But I still see it along the lines of simply finding productive ways to fill ones time, ones that don't lead to sin.

Should Christian women be taking far greater interest in their 1st responsibility before God; that of being wife and mother? Yes, absolutely.

I've been so proud of my stepson and his wife, as they have figured out, surrounded of course by the support of family, how to keep her home raising quality children. A thing nearly unheard of today.

Now not everyone has that kind of support system in place, and not everyone has that luxury.

I don't believe there is one strict rule and anything beyond that rule is equal to sin, God definitely knows us and treats us as individuals, but He's also given us, as women, certain mandates and when we treat them as meaningless or ignore them then yes, we have sinned.

A woman's first estate is that of wife and mother, and it is sin to shirk that responsibility. It's a sin that as a nation we are paying for, and it is nice to remind women of that first estate, and show the value of it for what it is.

Upvote 0

Aabbie James

Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'd say it's far more than that, but rather caused western decline in general.

As to the question, is it sin for women to work outside the home, using Titus as your opening, I guess we would have to ask, what does "workers at home" mean?

We notice in 1 Timothy 5, that younger widows are apt to get bored after initial devotion, and turn from such devotion and become what we would describe as "busy bodies", going house to house gossiping and so forth.

So I think "workers at home" can mean just to be women who aren't busy bodies, but rather women who stay in their own home finding productive ways to fill ones time.

Busy bodies the world has its fill of.

In many ways our lives today are different, and many ways our lives today remain the same.

Some of the differences create a situation where western women have more time. No longer are they hauling in the water from the well, it comes from a tap. No longer does water have to be boiled for the washing, it's thrown into a machine, then into another machine to dry, then fold and put away.

Women of old would be so jealous of the ease of life today, but at the same time this ease creates a situation women really do have more time than women had long ago, and far more opportunity for boredom.

So, how do modern women fill the time? Be workers ...

But where? And how?

Not every woman even today is trained in the arts of sewing, of finding those ways to "work" from home. Such things are not valued because they worked outside the home.

But I still see it along the lines of simply finding productive ways to fill ones time, ones that don't lead to sin.

Should Christian women be taking far greater interest in their 1st responsibility before God; that of being wife and mother? Yes, absolutely.

I've been so proud of my stepson and his wife, as they have figured out, surrounded of course by the support of family, how to keep her home raising quality children. A thing nearly unheard of today.

Now not everyone has that kind of support system in place, and not everyone has that luxury.

I don't believe there is one strict rule and anything beyond that rule is equal to sin, God definitely knows us and treats us as individuals, but He's also given us, as women, certain mandates and when we treat them as meaningless or ignore them then yes, we have sinned.

A woman's first estate is that of wife and mother, and it is sin to shirk that responsibility. It's a sin that as a nation we are paying for, and it is nice to remind women of that first estate, and show the value of it for what it is.
Thank you for your thoughtful comments. I'm hopeful and prayerful the "busy bodies," and all of us for that matter, focus our time, talent, and energy on those tasks that God puts before us, those that bring glory to Himself--God's will be done. Many blessings to you and your family.

• Friendly
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟477,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
My mother had a career outside the home and I benefitted from it. Many children furthermore are children of widowed or divorced mothers, who must obtain employment to sustain their family, so, in answer to the question posed by the OP, “absolutely not.”

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I do not think it is a sin for a Christian mother to have a career outside of the home. Beyond that, I find the propagation of such a belief repugnant. My wife was a medical scientist and a very good mother as evidenced by how our adult children turned out. Whilst raising children we attended a church where the prevailing view was that women should not work outside of the home. This was very difficult for my wife who was always made to feel "less than" for working despite doing very important work that benefited many people. All of the church's activities for women were scheduled during the day while all the stay-at-home mom's kids were off to school leaving my wife out of all female-targeted programming. Eventually it became a very bitter pill for her to swallow adversely affecting her view of that congregation in particular and the institutional church in general. Excluding people for a career path is not very welcoming.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
before I became a parent, a neighbor told me she "had" to work not due to finances, but because she couldn't stand to be home all day with her two kids

another told me she'd call her husband at work, crying & begging him to come home as she couldn't handle her young kids

^ that is a common theme I heard

granted, I only have one child but I absolutely loved the toddler years & yrs before school
liked playing with child, finger painting, play-doh, doing crafts, & taking lots of pics of her...as she got older, remember 3 hrs of card games some afternoons, lol

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
This was very difficult for my wife who was always made to feel "less than" for working despite doing very important work that benefited many people.

I’m truly sorry your wife experienced that. :yellowheart:

I’ve been on both sides of the coin and you’ll find happy women in each group and discontented ones too. My work exposes me to them. Most aren’t spending the day playing with kids or being domestic goddesses. They’re chatting on the Internet and posting on social media. There’s a litany of Facebook groups full of them. Don’t believe everything you hear.

I had a demanding job. I used my downtime to learn and help others. The skills I obtained during that period became a source of income later. My business mentor was a stay-at-home wife turned entrepreneur who retired her husband. Now they work together.

The other women I’m associated with were equally industrious while working and raising families. They retired their spouses too. The gifts and calling of God are irrevocable. They’ve altered their family’s destiny through their diligence. They’re like the woman in Proverbs 31.

God isn’t hindered by a job. They were blessed to be a blessing and serve many. So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Your wife fulfilled that mandate in her work. Very few make a difference.

The mommy wars exist due wrong identity placement. Instead of placing it in God they define themselves by their career and parenting. It hails from insecurity and spiritual ignorance. One isn’t better than the other and many have green grass syndrome.

Ask the Lord to build her friendships with Christian women of His choosing. He’s done the same on my behalf and this is why. I don’t have to deal with the jealousy or pettiness. We’re pursuing the same and celebrate each other’s triumphs. That’s the way it should be.

~bella

Upvote 0

Believer000

Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Feb 23, 2018
Coventry
✟25,222.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Lesson 11: The Influence Of Godly Mothers (2 Timothy 1:5; 3:14-17)" Steven J. Cole. Bible.org. The influence of the feminist movement has caused the status of motherhood to decline. Women are encouraged to find fulfillment in a career, not in raising children. If kids come along, they are dropped off at the day care center, sometimes even as infants.

2 Timothy 1:5, 3:14-17

5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you as well.

14 But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it 15 and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, 17 that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.
1. Godly mothers are women of sincere faith (1:5).
2. Godly mothers honor God’s Word and train their children in it (3:14-17).
3. Godly mothers have great influence on their children.

How does Titus 2:4-5 apply?

4 and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.
Teach Sound Doctrine (Titus 2)

2 But as for you, teach what accords with sound doctrine. 2 Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. 3 Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, 4 and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. 6 Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled. 7 Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, 8 and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us. 9 Bondservants are to be submissive to their own masters in everything; they are to be well-pleasing, not argumentative, 10 not pilfering, but showing all good faith, so that in everything they may adorn the doctrine of God our Savior.

11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, 12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works.

15 Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you.​

I don't believe it's a sin, - but its not encouraged. As a mother her pimary place is in the home. The children and her husband must be her first priority. If she has the time she could have her own business working from the home. I believe financial issues should not be a worry to her, - thats the job of the husband- to provide.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am reminded of Proverbs 31

Apparently a virtuous woman is an entrepreneur.

10 ¶ Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies.
11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil.
12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life.
13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands.
14 She is like the merchants’ ships; she bringeth her food from afar.
15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens.
16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard. {buyeth: Heb. taketh }
17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms.
18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night. {She … : Heb. She tasteth }
19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff.
20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy. {She … : Heb. She spreadeth }
21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet. {scarlet: or, double garments }
22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple.
23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land.
24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.
25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come.
26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness.
27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her.
29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. {have … : or, have gotten riches }
30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised.
31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.

So I'd recommend to take all scripture in context.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't believe it's a sin, - but its not encouraged. As a mother her pimary place is in the home. The children and her husband must be her first priority. If she has the time she could have her own business working from the home. I believe financial issues should not be a worry to her, - thats the job of the husband- to provide.

Most families can’t survive on one income in the US without challenges. The majority aren’t high wage earners and the cost of living is too steep.

US average income by state.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,940.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
...I believe financial issues should not be a worry to her, - thats the job of the husband- to provide.

It is certainly true that it is more difficult for families to survive on one income that it used to be. Nonetheless, women working is not always about financial necessity. It can also be about a calling, a wish to make a difference, a skill too precious not to be shared, a desire to give back and contribute. The motivations may be endless...the same sort of thing that motivates a man.

I'll say, too, as a dad that the responsibility to raise and nurture children or to aid their moral and spiritual development is no less my responsibility than their mother's.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ran into sahms at church/library events for kids, gym class for toddlers, princess/prince events, family community events, dance classes, bookstore readings for kids, etc

sahms busy with our children involved in activities since it's a family friendly town
who has time to be on social media when kids little?

we didn't even have internet when our child was young
I had to go to library with kid in stroller to check email, lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0