Not open for further replies.

deathtolife04

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
✟15,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
HEY-

I've always thought that it's possible for the devil/demons to affect us physically. Like for a while when I first started playing guitar for worship, I would feel sick every week on my way to church.

And a few weeks ago this girl I know who was getting ready to go to South America on a missions trip with me fell off a horse, and she said that she thought it was the devil trying to attack her because she was going on a missions trip.

One of my friends was like, in one of those "that girl is weird" voices, "she said that she thought it was the devil?! the devil can't affect us physically can he?????? i don't think so"

and i was like "umm yeah i think he can", but i couldn't think of a specific verse to back it up. then i realized i just assumed it's true because of what people told me, i never read it in the Bible or anything.

SOOO do you think the devil can affect us physically? or can he just affect our minds, but our minds are so powerful that can lead to the physical?

irateional

Aug 3, 2007
✟15,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ignoring the last post, you probably have, just like most people, suffered from a psychosomatic incident.

We've all had it before. You get so nervous that you develop a migraine. Or a rash. Or cramps. Or IBS. When you get particularly emotional (whether it's nervous, angry, sad or frightened), your brain kinda shorts out a bit. If you're angry, your adrenalin kicks into overdrive. If you're nervous, your body goes really haywire, as it's one of our newer reactions. Your body doesn't really know how to react. Unlike fear and anger which compromise the body's hardwired fight or flight response, nervousness is relatively new on the evolutioary landscape. As a result, it tends to compound itself in different ways in different people.

In sum. It's not demons. It's your body freaking out.

As for the girl...a bit of skepticism is handy. Think about it. There's a 100 perfectly fine explanations that don't involve the devil.

Upvote 0

theQuestionist

May 29, 2007
✟15,897.00
Faith
Seeker
Attributing bad things to demons/Satan (as well as attributing Good things to God) just gives people a chance to live in fairy-tale worlds where they don't have to take responsibility for their own actions, the actions of others, and/or the regular events of this world.

No, demons were not attacking you. Demons are imaginary.

The only thing that is very real is the power of suggestion.

Reactions: Mavros
Upvote 0

theVirginian

Mar 5, 2007
✟15,879.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Starting from the early '70s, I used to get the flu 3 or 4 times a year even if the bug wasn't circulating. One day, in the mid '80s, I felt it coming on me again and I decided that I've had enough of this. I'm a child of the living God and I don't have to put up with this. I started pacing the living room and coming against it by praying in the Spirit.

After about 20 minutes, I was still nauseous and dizzy and getting discouraged. I thought of giving up and then decided, no, I'm going to stick this out. A few minutes later, an intense heat originating from my spirit flashed throughout my body. At that moment, I had a vision of what was going on that lasted a couple of seconds. Four devils had a hand on various parts of my body and as that heat reached them, they jerked their hands off as though they were being burned. The symptoms immediately stopped. I haven't had the flu since including during epidemics and people around me catching it.

Let the deconstruction attempts commence. :D

Upvote 0
B

BrBob

OK, a little balance is needed here.

The answer is Yes!

No, really. Yes, demons can, and do, affect us physically sometimes. That being said though, I don't believe that most illness is caused by demonic activity. Our bodies are physical and they get sick. Period. Sickness happens! On the other hand, demons do use physical attacks at times to hinder our progress but most of their power is through deception and lies.

I would venture that in order to sow confusion, the enemy whispers lies to us sometimes when our bodies are getting sick. They try to convince us that they are responsible for the sickness so that we will think they are more powerful than they really are. Their whole focus is to get us to fear and respect them rather than God.

The Word of God tells us that there is healing for us that can be appropriated through prayer and faith. Just look at the healings that were manifested in the new testament. We need to keep our eyes on God and put our faith in Him, not on Satan and his demons. If we do that, the enemy has no power over us.

As far as falling off of the horse.... chances are that she fell off the horse.... that's all.

Bob
Spearfish, SD

Upvote 0

InFathersArms

Jul 29, 2007
Germany
✟7,712.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
HEY-

I've always thought that it's possible for the devil/demons to affect us physically.

Only if we allow it.

Like for a while when I first started playing guitar for worship, I would feel sick every week on my way to church.

I used to feel the same way during the first and about the hundredth time I got up to speak before a group of people. They call it "butterflies." It's really just nervousness and a bit too much adrenaline.

And a few weeks ago this girl I know who was getting ready to go to South America on a missions trip with me fell off a horse, and she said that she thought it was the devil trying to attack her because she was going on a missions trip.

I rather think it's a combination of the horse going one way, the girl going the other, and gravity winning out over saddle friction.

SOOO do you think the devil can affect us physically? or can he just affect our minds, but our minds are so powerful that can lead to the physical?

I think Satan is always trying to deceive us, and the biggest deception he tries to pull is that he can pester us without hindrance throughout the day.

Again, only with our permission can he do this, hence the deception.

As the Bible says, "stand firm and the devil will flee" (usually go bother someone who's not standing firm...)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaBronx

Mar 10, 2005
New Jersey
✟16,289.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Starting from the early '70s, I used to get the flu 3 or 4 times a year even if the bug wasn't circulating. One day, in the mid '80s, I felt it coming on me again and I decided that I've had enough of this. I'm a child of the living God and I don't have to put up with this. I started pacing the living room and coming against it by praying in the Spirit.

After about 20 minutes, I was still nauseous and dizzy and getting discouraged. I thought of giving up and then decided, no, I'm going to stick this out. A few minutes later, an intense heat originating from my spirit flashed throughout my body. At that moment, I had a vision of what was going on that lasted a couple of seconds. Four devils had a hand on various parts of my body and as that heat reached them, they jerked their hands off as though they were being burned. The symptoms immediately stopped. I haven't had the flu since including during epidemics and people around me catching it.

PRAISE GOD!! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

InGodsLovingHands

Jul 28, 2007
✟7,675.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
HEY-

I've always thought that it's possible for the devil/demons to affect us physically. Like for a while when I first started playing guitar for worship, I would feel sick every week on my way to church.

One of my friends was like, in one of those "that girl is weird" voices, "she said that she thought it was the devil?! the devil can't affect us physically can he?????? i don't think so"

and i was like "umm yeah i think he can", but i couldn't think of a specific verse to back it up. then i realized i just assumed it's true because of what people told me, i never read it in the Bible or anything.

Job chapter 2 (GWT)
1 One day when the sons of God came to stand in front of the LORD, Satan the Accuser came along with them. 2 The LORD asked Satan, "Where have you come from?"
Satan answered the LORD, "From wandering all over the earth."
3 The LORD asked Satan, "Have you thought about my servant Job? No one in the world is like him! He is a man of integrity: He is decent, he fears God, and he stays away from evil. And he still holds on to his principles. You're trying to provoke me into ruining him for no reason."
4 Satan answered the LORD, "Skin for skin! Certainly, a man will give everything he has for his life. 5 But stretch out your hand, and strike his flesh and bones. I bet he'll curse you to your face."
6 The LORD told Satan, "He is in your power, but you must spare his life!"

In these verses from Job you see that the Lord has rule over Satan, and by commanding him to let Job have his life, he is ruling over him.

Satan does have powers because he is granted it. Job nor God had directly rebuked him. Basically, the devil was only able to attack him due to the fact that Job did not command Satan to leave properly, or ask for protection.

Satan has no hold on us if we are filled with the light of God. No hold at all. We are filled with the light of God if we genuinely ask Jesus to be the Lord and saviour of our hearts, follow and study his word, believe he died on the cross to forgive us our sins and iniquities, pray against evil forces, command them to flee from us, and most importantly we believe that Jesus established a "New Testament" between God and us.

As one fellow on here answered, Job did learn valuable life lessons in the suffering he experienced but then again, he also did suffer greatly. This is not a typical, or real formulation that could possibly occur if you are rebuking Satan as a Christian. If you do rebuke Satan, the Bible states he must flee. Satan has no hold on you unless you do nothing and let him "obsess" you, which means harm you physically or mentally etc. If you do not order him to go from your life, he can never posess you, but he can start to harm you. So keep praying, and be strong in your will to fight.

What most people tend to forget is that before Jesus died, such as in the Chapter of Job, we had an "Old Testament" with God. It was a curse because Adam and Eve had eaten from the tree of Good and evil. Because of this "original sin" our relationship with God was severed and we were punished. Satan was let loose on the land and basically stole the right to hurt us unless we made blood sacrifices etc of our doves, or lambs to purify ourselves from being "unclean," and prayed for God to intercede and cast him away from us. Women had to do this in childbirth etc.

Many of us were going to hell, or being punished by God because we were unclean, and unworthy due to all of our sins, and our unfaithfulness. Satan could, at that point, effect us alot easier, but the key word is could, not would always. Satan, at this point, could still not physically effect you unless you had little Faith. It is impossible to, because once you are God's - Christian, and a spiritual warrior against him - there is no place for him.

The Bible states time and time again that God will cast Satan from you if you ask, and God's word is living, and the only truth. Any doubts you are having right now are because Satan is trying to trick your mind into fear so he CAN have a place in you, but unless you break your tie with God he cannot.

Even though all of this was occuring in the Old Testament, you have to remember that God was here for us, and loved us, but needed to find a way to cleanse us again from our original sin so he could interceed on our behalf, stop the devil, and help us make our way to heaven to be with him; so God sacrificed the purest lamb that has ever been, Jesus his only begotten son, and therein was created the New Testament.

The Lord has stated that "we are MORE than conquerers," "No weapon formed against you shall prosper" etc.

God has given us spiritual warfare for times when our Faith seems dim, and Satan is tempting us to be fearful. Eventually some people give in, and think he CAN effect us when he CANNOT if we are fighting against him, and by letting that doubt cloud their mind, and by not using prayer, they dies or are hurt by him. Satan is always trying to pull us closer into his traps and snares - which of course would be giving up your belief in God altogether.

We can fight against his TEMPTATIONS with God's words, and most importantly we as Christians have to pray and lay down any fears, or burdens at God's feet so that the Lord has permission to fight the actual spiritual battle that is going on for us. And by the way, the Bible states that all spiritual battles that go on, and sometimes effect us in our daily lives, do actually go on constantly between angels and demons.

God is always fighting for us. The world has painted a picture of Satan on one shoulder, and God on the other, both being equal, as strong as one another, a negative, and an equal positive, when the truth is that God defeated the Devil a long time ago, he really did. Satan has no power but to TEMPT unless you let him. If you say NO, he cannot tempt you. NO is a Holy Word, remember that. That is why the Bible says stay strong and do not fall into his temptations.

Satan is an asteroid as to the Sun - which of course is God - So don't think so little of God's power. He has hold of you, and the Earth, not satan. What satan wants you to believe is that he has power over your life, so you fear him, and make mistakes in fear, wrather then leaps of Faith in God. So have Faith that all is well, and PRAY! : )

I Personally ride horses and have fallen off many times, so do not worry. You both are to do great things, and that is why he is trying to attack you. Satan only attacks those who are a threat to him, so believe in yourself! : ) Be excited, and rejoice in the plans God has for your life! : ) God is here for you, as I am. We are spiritual brothers and sisters, and Jesus is your Daddy, Father, and Saviour Forever! Would you let a dog attack your kid? Well how much more would God fight for you? ; )

If you ever are feeling scared pray for God to take away that fear. Say Lord I offer this up to you, and ask you to please accept, and conquer this fear for me, then let it go! I mean it; let it go! The biggest mistake Christians make is to hold onto their fears, and burdens after they have offered them up to the Lord because they try to fix their issues themselves. This usually only leads to bad decisions and God's perfect will being blocked. Pray some spiritual warfare verses which you can easily google online, you can ask any of us, or look them up in your Bible. There is usually a section where it suggests verses for all circumstances in the front or back of your Bible. : ) Praise and Worship also works very well for restoring Faith, but most importantly listen to your intuition! If God is telling you, SATAN IS HERE, in your heart you will know, and feel like something isn't right, so pray, fight, ask for prayer from others, and for God to fight the fight for you, sing, read the word, and say SATAN I REBUKE YOU, YOU HAVE NO PLACE HERE! IN JESUS' MIGHTY NAME, AMEN!

As for the person who said demons do not exist, I'm sad for your lack of Faith : (. By questioning the existence of demons you are questioning the word of God, which is living, and God himself, whom is "the TRUTH, the WAY, and the LIFE." Please be careful what you choose to say because your acts are always noted by God, even on here, and judgement will come. I will pray for your Faith to grow and for God's love to fill you! God Bless you! : )

As for your Faith, please go and get a book called "Why I Believe."

My brother and I started off as scientific people. The book prooves beyond a shadow of a doubt that God and his Kingdom, demons, hell etc are real. Creation is proven aswell, all the information studied, and concluded from leading Harvard scientists, and other Dr.'s from around the globe.

Evolution has NEVER been proven, yet it's taught. Darwin actually historically admitted his theory was wrong before he died.

Scientists around the world have also studied the realistic numbers, and computed how physically probable it would be for a cell, such as explained in the big bang theory and evolutionism, to evolve into an organism and eventually end up as us. It was proven Impossible.

That book helped me alot, but more then facts rely on Faith, God's love for you, and alone time with him. Let the Lord Jesus know how much you love him, and ask for protection. : )

Trust in God's word! He loves you so much, and will protect you. Any Christian on this site who has answered you and has given you little, or no faith is not a true Christian. We are here to be a light unto others.

Just trust in God, and walk in love, the rest will follow! I'll keep you in my prayers! : ) *Hugs*

God Bless, and have a great night!: ):wave:

If you have any more questions feel free to ask! I'de love to help! :groupray:

God's will be done!:angel:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private

Ive tried that many times...
many many times have I tried that...

Infact Ive been sick since I was a child where Id get attacks and not stop for 24 hrs...
Id pray and pray to God...

I dont believe its demons and I dont believe God lets the devil at us...
Infact I really dont believe in a devil so to speak...Evil yes..but a devil, and demons... no...:sorry:

Upvote 0

deathtolife04

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
✟15,329.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ive tried that many times...
many many times have I tried that...

Infact Ive been sick since I was a child where Id get attacks and not stop for 24 hrs...
Id pray and pray to God...

I dont believe its demons and I dont believe God lets the devil at us...
Infact I really dont believe in a devil so to speak...Evil yes..but a devil, and demons... no...:sorry:
How can you not believe in something that's flat out in the Bible?

Upvote 0

united4Peace

Contributor
Jun 28, 2006
Alberta
✟26,223.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
How can you not believe in something that's flat out in the Bible?
As I said...I believe in Evil...
There is tons of evil...

I dont take the bible literally but that again is for antoher post...if you want to take that else where feel free too...

Peace to you :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.