Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Divorce and remarriage is only permissible if you are betrothed to a partner and find out they were immoral/unchaste beforehand. God shows mercy in such a situation, because you didn't know. This is what Jesus meant.

Can you walk me through the scripture that says that is what Jesus meant and where Jesus meant it?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s hard to believe you can read scripture and come up with that opinion. I guess reading it in context makes hard for yourself self righteous nature.
“The wages of sin is death” is an out of context quote you can use to appease yourself. I’ll stick with the bible in context.
The way it usually works out is God will not let us continue in sin. Early death threatened the Corinthian brother who was involved in incest. And many died and were sick by taking communion unworthily.

Upvote 0

Cnnsdc63

Dec 27, 2018
Pennsylvanis
✟13,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Can hookers keep hooking after they become Christians?

Tell me , is that for you to decide, or is that for Christ to decide. Remember Jesus only hung out with the sinners. He only shunned the self righteous. It’s in your bible too.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tell me , is that for you to decide, or is that for Christ to decide. Remember Jesus only hung out with the sinners. He only shunned the self righteous. It’s in your bible too.
Just sayin'. I've never seen it work out for any who are truly saved.

Upvote 0

Cnnsdc63

Dec 27, 2018
Pennsylvanis
✟13,851.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The way it usually works out is God will not let us continue in sin. Early death threatened the Corinthian brother who was involved in incest. And many died and were sick by taking communion unworthily.

Note the word “unbeliever” and claims to be a “believer” Unbelievers are made believers by mercy,grace and forgiveness not condemnation. Christ changes hearts, the law doesn’t. Who are we to judge someone’s heart.

When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. 10 But I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. 11 I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer[*] yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don’t even eat with such people.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Note the word “unbeliever” and claims to be a “believer” Unbelievers are made believers by mercy,grace and forgiveness not condemnation. Christ changes hearts, the law doesn’t. Who are we to judge someone’s heart.

When I wrote to you before, I told you not to associate with people who indulge in sexual sin. 10 But I wasn’t talking about unbelievers who indulge in sexual sin, or are greedy, or cheat people, or worship idols. You would have to leave this world to avoid people like that. 11 I meant that you are not to associate with anyone who claims to be a believer[*] yet indulges in sexual sin, or is greedy, or worships idols, or is abusive, or is a drunkard, or cheats people. Don’t even eat with such people.
No repentance = no changed heart = no true faith.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, for non believers. Let’s make them believers via faith.
Faith without works is dead. Sinful works are not biblical works but need repented of. Jesus says whoever divorces his wife causes her to commit adultery. And He says whoever marries a divorced person commits adultery. So one divorce and remarriage can produce 4 adulterers. Do you think this is your calling as a Christian?

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Can you walk me through the scripture that says that is what Jesus meant and where Jesus meant it?

I think I did somewhere toward the beginning of this thread. I think it is on the second page. I also explained it in other places.

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON

262241_97344f3feba7d2020816cbb9e9ef87d8.jpeg

This Thread

From Christian Advice
To General Theology
This is a More Fitting Forum
for this subject

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So there should be a lot of married divorcees dropping dead?

Upvote 0

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate
Why is Jesus expressing his feelings towards his creation through his act of redemption irrational? Not only does your post have logical problems here but it seems you don't understand what "rational" means.

Also, the reason why abusive spouse is raised a lot is to give examples of actual circumstances in where divorce is needed. People who fall out of love is a different issue. Realistically speaking, the decision will depend on what is the lesser of the two evils. Separation or continuing to live with each other regardless of no love. In most cases, it can be wrong to continue to live together because the more the two peoples lives will be in sin. This is a problem of maturity and it's highly subjective.
Oh I am sorry ..In a previous post you had mentioned some thing not being rational so I was attempting ( poorly ) to show that God's great love was NOT rational as we often think of rational . Much like two people or even one person irrationally choosing NOT to remarry when their spouse is not following my and your Lord Jesus Christ . Please understand me ..I am not advocating remaining in an abusive situation but as part of my faith , I am given to understand that God often intercedes and changes people's heart ( He did mine !! )
Now two believers who have hope of eternity through Jesus Christ not loving one another is another matter . Paul tells the older women to teach the younger women to love their husbands and children. Why ? Why would our apostle tell us to do something that was not do-able ? I think it is gloriously great news that love can be taught . Why is it written for husbands to love their wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself for her . Why ? Is not our Lord Jesus wonderful ? How beautiful our religion rather than what the secular world and those who have no hope teach !

Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Oh I am sorry ..In a previous post you had mentioned some thing not being rational so I was attempting ( poorly ) to show that God's great love was NOT rational as we often think of rational . Much like two people or even one person irrationally choosing NOT to remarry when their spouse is not following my and your Lord Jesus Christ . Please understand me ..I am not advocating remaining in an abusive situation but as part of my faith , I am given to understand that God often intercedes and changes people's heart ( He did mine !! )
Now two believers who have hope of eternity through Jesus Christ not loving one another is another matter . Paul tells the older women to teach the younger women to love their husbands and children. Why ? Why would our apostle tell us to do something that was not do-able ? I think it is gloriously great news that love can be taught . Why is it written for husbands to love their wives as Christ loved the church and gave himself for her . Why ? Is not our Lord Jesus wonderful ? How beautiful our religion rather than what the secular world and those who have no hope teach !

Your post was an odd understanding of what "rational" means. Just by the way you are using the word in your post. We can't use rationality in the realm of someones psychology (why he did this or why he chose that), much more God's. The mind of a man who abuses a woman isn't a rational mind for example.

We are talking about rationalism in the context of wisdom -- when dealing with circumstances and situations in real life.

Do you think the words of Paul also counts towards Carole Ann Boone (who was married to Ted Bundy?); Do you think Jesus would tell Toni Henthorn to remain faithful to her husband --who not only abused her but eventually shoved her off a cliff? Or what about that Colorado Dad who killed his entire family?

You christians don't think of stuff like this yet for some reason demand a verse in the bible to answer something that should be so obvious. There are circumstances and situations that the Bible doesn't reference or answer, one verse in Ec 3 about a time for everything (which includes killing) because everything has their own circumstances and situations.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your post was an odd understanding of what "rational" means. Just by the way you are using the word in your post. We can't use rationality in the realm of someones psychology (why he did this or why he chose that), much more God's. The mind of a man who abuses a woman isn't a rational mind for example.

We are talking about rationalism in the context of wisdom -- when dealing with circumstances and situations in real life.

Do you think the words of Paul also counts towards Carole Ann Boone (who was married to Ted Bundy?); Do you think Jesus would tell Toni Henthorn to remain faithful to her husband --who not only abused her but eventually shoved her off a cliff? Or what about that Colorado Dad who killed his entire family?

You christians don't think of stuff like this yet for some reason demand a verse in the bible to answer something that should be so obvious. There are circumstances and situations that the Bible doesn't reference or answer, one verse in Ec 3 about a time for everything (which includes killing) because everything has their own circumstances and situations.

What should happen in that case is a Matthew 18 trial by the congregation, and in situations that would result in such extreme tragedies, the likely endpoint of a Matthew 18 trial by the congregation would be the expulsion of the husband from the Body of Christ.

Then the question would be whether the woman would prevented from remarriage or permitted to remarry--which is the additional point that Paul had to actually find a way to make practicable. In 1 Corinthians 7, Paul talks about Christians married to Christians and then gives different instructions to Christians married to pagans. After the Matthew 18 trial, the woman's position would be "Christian married to pagan."

Some people seem to think that Paul's instructions to Christians married to pagans are the same as they are to Christians married to Christians. They say that Christians married to pagans are also only permitted to separate and must eventually reconcile.

If so, why did he address them separately, and why did he not say the same thing? The fact is that for Christians married to Christians, the Body of Christ exercises control over both of them. Both of them are expected (at least in Paul's congregations) to continue toward reconciliation because there can be no permanent enmity within the Body of Christ...Matthew 18 again.

But the Body of Christ has no control over the behavior of pagans. Paul could not instruct a pagan to separate, reconcile, and return to the marriage. When the pagan left, he left.

I note that beyond 1 Corinthians 7, Paul insisted that young widows must be married, and all his reasons would apply as well to young divorcees.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So there should be a lot of married divorcees dropping dead?
They probably are not saved but only think they are. John says we do not live in sin and Jesus says you'll know them by their fruit.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NeedyFollower

Feb 29, 2016
N Carolina
✟71,145.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Celibate

Brother ...I am not sure of the disconnect ..I thought I was clear in saying this ...that a believer should not willing remain in a dangerous situation . As I am given to understand , Jesus answer to divorce was to protect the woman AND the sanctity of marriage . For marriage was given by God to demonstrate faithfulness . There are abusers from both sexes because evil does not prefer one sex over another . There are godless men and godless women . There are men who have abused their wives and children . There are women who have abandoned husbands and children . And while not very often , there are Godly people who pray for their enemies ..even if their enemies are those of their own household . I do not see what Jesus advocated was bad . As I understand by the title of this forum , Christian Forums ...this is a Christian Forum and we answer as Christ answered and His apostles , like Paul and Peter . To do other wise we should call it something else ...Ann Landers or Dear Abby and so forth . I think that is a rational and logical conclusion .
You use the title " You Christians " ..I am of course trying to be a follower or learner / disciple of Jesus which is the calling of anyone who takes His name . What do you mean by "You Christians" on a Christian forum ? What should we be ?

Upvote 0