Can Biden Circumvent McCarthy's Threats to Let America Default on its Debts?

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Scholars are saying that the 14th Amendment requires the U.S. to pay its debts.

If Congress fails to act, some legal experts say Democratic President Joe Biden has another option to avert a crisis: Invoke the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution to ensure the United States can continue to pay its bills.

Some, like Cornell University law professor Michael Dorf, say the "least unconstitutional" option would be for Biden to act on his own to protect the integrity of the national debt.

"That would mean borrowing money," he said.

Any action by Biden would surely prompt a lawsuit.

WHO COULD SUE OVER THE DEBT CEILING?​

It's not clear who could bring a case. It could be difficult for any plaintiff to prove they had been harmed by the action — a legal concept known as "standing."

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1997 that individual lawmakers do not have standing to file such lawsuits, but Congress could potentially vote to say that it had been collectively harmed.

This is really interesting...and yes, I'm sure it would go to the Supreme Court, but except for the two most extreme, would the Supreme Court really want to set off an economic cataclysm by ruling in favor of the dissenters?

• Informative
Reactions: JosephZ

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟152,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems the stock market may force our government to obey their oaths and do their jobs for the American people. We as an electorate certainly do not force them to do their jobs at the ballot box.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,406,110.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
It seems the stock market may force our government to obey their oaths and do their jobs for the American people. We as an electorate certainly do not force them to do their jobs at the ballot box.

Well, we have passed this way before. And we have felt this pain before. :sigh:

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

This is really interesting...and yes, I'm sure it would go to the Supreme Court, but except for the two most extreme, would the Supreme Court really want to set off an economic cataclysm by ruling in favor of the dissenters?

Biden could avoid a default by simply negotiating.

• Winner
Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think the President AND Congress should work together.

They should. But this is yet another case of the story being some Republican is arguing with himself and we're going to default. It's silly. The Federal budget is my single most important issue. That's because I want my son to have a country to live in. That means I will always side with whomever wants to reduce the Federal budget. But most times it's all for show and nothing ever becomes of it.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟559,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
They should. But this is yet another case of the story being some Republican is arguing with himself and we're going to default. It's silly. The Federal budget is my single most important issue. That's because I want my son to have a country to live in. That means I will always side with whomever wants to reduce the Federal budget. But most times it's all for show and nothing ever becomes of it.
Republicans don't want to reduce the budget. They want to use the opportunity to put on a show and throw some red meat to their base. If they truly cared about reducing the budget, they would have done so when they had power, like the first two years of the Trump administration, when they had the White House and majorities in both chambers of Congress.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely yes - a good President reaches across the aisle to negotiate the best for the American public - let's find out if we have a good president.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What they should do is not run up debts that they know they will not be able to pay... and then invoke the 14th to try and force the taxpayers to pay them anyways. Or even worse, raise the debt ceiling (again) to the point where it will beyond our ability to pay it. It is irresponsible to say "we can spend as much money as we want, and then force the people to pay it." Unfortunately the voters have been dummied down so far that they are unable to vote in accordance with this concept. They will wake up one day with a crashed economy, a worthless dollar, and no job and look around stupidly wondering what happened. Unfortunately, it will be our children who end up paying this. Look at your kids and smile and thank them that we are living high on the hog, on their dime.

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

...sure....during budget negotiations (which would have occurred last year if we had a Republican party interested in governing).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Historian Heather Cox sets the context for the 14th Amendment. Last year, the budget was already passed as law....

The fourth section of the Fourteenth Amendment reads: “The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned.”

This statement was a response to a very specific threat.

During the Civil War, the U.S. Treasury issued more than $2.5 billion in bonds to pay for the war effort. To make those bonds attractive to investors, Congress had made most of them payable in gold, along with their interest. That gold backing made them highly valuable in an economy plagued by inflation
"

Read the rest here....

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
With MTG, Boebert and Gosar pulling the Speaker's strings, fat chance.

These debts have already been incurred (much more in the Trump than in the Biden years, BTW.)

Threatening to be dishonorable without future concessions is dishonest.

They are balking at Biden's deficit but passed Trump deficits that were twice as high.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,202.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Wing 2000, as Richardson said in the end, lawmakers of yesteryear had too much integrity to dismantle the government and default on debts.
So if today's 217 House members lack the integrity to pay debts already incurred, Biden must intervene.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,430,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You left out one little “Covid” fact.

It's fair to exclude COVID spending and lost revenue due to the downturn. However, we didn't hear any spending protest rom Republicans prior to COVID during the Trump administration.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My brother and I share a checking account. I went out and wrote a bunch of checks that exceed the balance of the account by thousands. My mean old brother refuses to take money from his private account to prevent our shared account from being overdrawn.
Who is in the wrong here?
It is foolish to over-spend and then when the bills come due blame someone else for not coming up with the money to make good your debts.
You know they do this on purpose. They know you will have to come up with the money else you will be the bad guy who does not pay his bills.
I say let it default. They need to break out of this bad habit.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wing 2000, as Richardson said in the end, lawmakers of yesteryear had too much integrity to dismantle the government and default on debts.
So if today's 217 House members lack the integrity to pay debts already incurred, Biden must intervene.
Wrong. It is the entire government who overspends and then expects the taxpayer to come up with the money to bail them out.
Hint... Don't overspend and you will not have to worry about defaulting. It is like holding a gun to their head and saying "pay for our overspending or we will let it default and it will be your fault."
Extortion.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
My brother and I share a checking account. I went out and wrote a bunch of checks that exceed the balance of the account by thousands. My mean old brother refuses to take money from his private account to prevent our shared account from being overdrawn.

It's more like

My brother and I share a checking account. I went out and wrote a bunch of checks that my brother explicitly authorized that exceed a total limit set arbitrarily by my brother. My mean old brother refuses to raise that arbitrary limit to accommodate the spending he authorized.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,478.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wrong. It is the entire government who overspends and then expects the taxpayer to come up with the money to bail them out.
Hint... Don't overspend and you will not have to worry about defaulting. It is like holding a gun to their head and saying "pay for our overspending or we will let it default and it will be your fault."
Extortion.
So vote for representatives who wont overspend. (Thats neither D's nor R's tho.)

• Agree
Reactions: SavedByGrace3
Upvote 0