Can anyone tell me if evolution has ever been shown correct on any occasion?

Sibelius

Feb 5, 2006
✟15,121.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Tomk80 said:
I think it's actually an interesting question how far apart species producing hybrids are genetically. Then I don't mean karyotyping, as that is relatively unimportant, but more genetic distance, for example determined by differences in homologuous genes or proteins. But I could imagine that this is not the whole story.

Yeah, it's complex. My field is canine genetics. One example from my current work is how certain combinations of breeds form unfit offspring.

From today's TimesOnline: 'Crossing a pug and a pekinese has produced an animal with such a distorted face that its eyes kept popping out'.

I read about some work done creating crosses between very small and large breeds. Some of the resulting crosses ended up with a set of extra long front legs or back. Obviously not darwinian ideals of fitness for thier environment.

As I understand it, a likely theory is that we as a species being so successful killed off our closest relatives through expansion, competition and hybridisation.

On the subject of genetic closeness, this is from an article at the BBC entitled 'Chimps genetically close to humans':
bbc said:
According to this analysis, chimpanzees and humans occupy sister branches on a family tree, with 99.4% genetic similarity. Next on the tree are gorillas, then orang-utans, followed by Old World monkeys.
None of the primates were closely related to mice, which were used as a control.
Dr Wildman said: "You could say that humans and chimps are as similar to one another as say horses and donkeys.
"And there really isn't much evidence for them to be divergent at the family level, which would be something like the divergence between apes and monkeys.
"There has been this notion since Aristotle's time of this great chain of being with humans at the top and then less complex life at the bottom. But while that might seem intuitive to some people, it doesn't appear to be borne out by the data.
"There's been as much change on the lineage on the line leading to chimpanzees as there has been on the lineage to humans since they last shared a common ancestor around six million years ago."

Upvote 0

ChrisPelletier

Sep 10, 2005
✟7,951.00
Faith
Agnostic
Sibelius said:
Donkeys have 62 chromosomes while horses have 64 chromosomes.

As this is my first post (Hi everybody), I'm not allowed to post links, but a google search on 'hybrid fertile mule' will lead you to the site I took that from.

Number and type of chromosomes (termed karyotype) is not the only factor in a species barrier. Determining the possibility of crosses is best explored through experimentation, though not ethical in this case.

I was thinking along the lines of: If the chromosomes of closely relates species can combine (like in the case of a donkey and a horse) is there a way to extrapolate the possiblity of succefully mating, and therefore the susseful recombining of chromosomes, of two other closely related species (in this case humans & chimps).

Upvote 0

Sibelius

Feb 5, 2006
✟15,121.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
ChrisPelletier said:
I was thinking along the lines of: If the chromosomes of closely relates species can combine (like in the case of a donkey and a horse) is there a way to extrapolate the possiblity of succefully mating, and therefore the susseful recombining of chromosomes, of two other closely related species (in this case humans & chimps).

At this stage I get to do something very scientific and say:

I don't know

:)

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
TheInstant said:
Yes, this clue has helped me by further supporting the fact that a literal Genesis is ridiculous.
Thank you, you show how your present based views are more than ridiculous. Especially since you seem to find the spiritual ridiculous.

Upvote 0

TheInstant

Hooraytheist
Oct 24, 2005
✟8,738.00
Faith
Atheist
dad said:
Thank you, you show how your present based views are more than ridiculous.

How did I do that? What are my "present based views"?

dad said:
Especially since you seem to find the spiritual ridiculous.

I said that a belief in a literal Genesis was ridiculous. I don't think that a belief in something spiritual is ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Frumious Bandersnatch

Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
✟23,431.00
Faith
Unitarian
TheInstant said:

I said that a belief in a literal Genesis was ridiculous. I don't think that a belief in something spiritual is ridiculous.
To dad-hoc the absurd everything that doesn't jive with his bizarro fanatasy world is ridiculous. Just have a look at the no gravity before the flood thread to see how ridiculous he can be. His calling others ridiculous is like the kettle calling the porcelain bowl black.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
TheInstant said:
You seemed to say that the union of the sons of god with women helped you consider genesis as ridiculous. It sounded like you had a problem there because it involved spiritual beings. If not, then explain.
AS for present based beliefs, old agers use the present to imagine what the pst was like, assuming it was also basically the same. -present-based.

OK, so then do you believe in angels ghosts, and spirits or not?

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
dad said:
As always when neither science nor the bible support you, you are exposed as silly.

Really, dad, just because you can't disprove Xel'naga science, don't mock it.

Really, once you get out of your Bible-Only box, you'll see that Xel'naga intervention accounts for the Earth's history far better than your baseless split/merge hogwash.

The Bible is a baseless fantasy, which has fooled smarter people than you for thousands of years. The Xel'naga are real.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheInstant

Hooraytheist
Oct 24, 2005
✟8,738.00
Faith
Atheist
dad said:
You seemed to say that the union of the sons of god with women helped you consider genesis as ridiculous. It sounded like you had a problem there because it involved spiritual beings. If not, then explain.
AS for present based beliefs, old agers use the present to imagine what the pst was like, assuming it was also basically the same. -present-based.

The belief that sons of God mated with people and produced giants is just one of the things about a literal reading of Genesis that I find to be ridiculous, yes, because the events of the stories go against all evidence and logic. You said that my saying this shows how my beliefs are more ridiculous. How did you come to that conclusion based on what I said?

dad said:
OK, so then do you believe in angels ghosts, and spirits or not?

I do not think that all beliefs other than mine are ridiculous. Some, yes, but not all. That doesn't mean that I believe in them.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
TheInstant said:
The belief that sons of God mated with people and produced giants is just one of the things about a literal reading of Genesis that I find to be ridiculous, yes, because the events of the stories go against all evidence and logic. You said that my saying this shows how my beliefs are more ridiculous. How did you come to that conclusion based on what I said?

Don't bother arguing logic with dad -- he's already disavowed any belief in the past that doesn't conform to his will.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Frumious Bandersnatch said:
To dad-hoc the absurd everything that doesn't jive with his bizarro fanatasy world is ridiculous. Just have a look at the no gravity before the flood thread to see how ridiculous he can be. His calling others ridiculous is like the kettle calling the porcelain bowl black.
He called genesis ridiculous first, I just applied the adjective more appropriately. Looks like you found a new calling. Try to convince others not to take me seriously!

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...&start=100&svnum=30&hl=en&lr=&sa=N&as_qdr=all

Upvote 0
S

Silent Bob

Nathan Poe said:
Really, once you get out of your Bible-Only box, you'll see that Xel'naga intervention accounts for the Earth's history far better than your baseless split/merge hogwash.

Sorry for interupting but the Xel'naga are the ones who helped the evolution of the Protoss and Zerg there is no indication in their most holy scriptures (as recovered from the temple in Aiur before Tassadar's sacrifice) that they had anything to do with UEC or Terrans.

Just wondering.

En taro Tassadar!

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
dad said:
He called genesis ridiculous first, I just applied the adjective more appropriately. Looks like you found a new calling. Try to convince others not to take me seriously!

A calling should be more of a challenge -- all he has to do is get you typing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Silent Bob said:
Sorry for interupting but the Xel'naga are the ones who helped the evolution of the Protoss and Zerg there is no indication in their most holy scriptures (as recovered from the temple in Aiur before Tassadar's sacrifice) that they had anything to do with UEC or Terrans.

Just wondering.

En taro Tassadar!

Well, the truth of it is that The Xel'naga did develop the Teran culture, and, as they did with the Protoss, revealed themselves, although not in such a ham-fisted manner.

Xel'naga influence is the foundation for each of the major world religions -- all that hoopla about angels and spirits (The "Spiritual Universe" which fills up dad's Bible-only box) was actually them.

In any event, since dad can't prove it wrong, then it must be acceptable.

Upvote 0

Valkhorn

the Antifloccinaucinihilipili ficationist
Jun 15, 2004
Knoxville, TN
Visit site
✟11,624.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Look around for someone that knows the limitations of science, and respects the bible as the word of God. In other words beyond your circle.

They don't take you seriously either. They've told you on this forum. Theistic Evolutionists have told you this, even YEC's won't even address your crazy ideas.

And by the way there are people out there who know Evolution is a fact and is valid, who agree with an ancient Earth and no global flood and still believe in the Bible.

Yet, you conveniently ignore that.

Upvote 0