Can a person's opinion ever justify anything?

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Imagine a conversation like this:

Person A: "Nicole Brown Simpson got what she deserved".

Person B: "Your statement is highly offensive! It justifies murder!".

Or one like this:

Person A: "If O.J. Simpson killed Nicole Brown Simpson, it was justified".

The two statements by Person A are Person A's opinion. Person B asserts that the statements justify something--something that he/she does not think is/was justified.

To me, all of this begs a question: Can a person's opinion justify anything?

Maybe it is just me, but it makes no sense to me to say that somebody's opinon justifies anything. It's just his/her opinion! Since when did anybody have the authority, power or ability to justify anything by stating his/her opinion?

matthewgar

Jun 18, 2010
powell river BC. Canada.
✟15,965.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
CA-Others

Or one like this:

The two statements by Person A are Person A's opinion. Person B asserts that the statements justify something--something that he/she does not think is/was justified.

Maybe it is just me, but it makes no sense to me to say that somebody's opinon justifies anything. It's just his/her opinion! Since when did anybody have the authority, power or ability to justify anything by stating his/her opinion?

Well don't even have to go quiet that far, people like to claim X justifies Y or can be used to do so to base wether something is true or not. A odd example was the big fight on youtube a few months ago I witnessed where someone was discussing wether rape has a evolutionary advantage, *not wether it was good or not* just is it advantage for some animals and such, and it devolved into a argument not on facts, but wether or not saying it could be part of nature or natural selection was justiifying rape.

Another way of looking at it is, in nature there is a advantae of killing off the offspring of another male, particular in social species like lions and such, but in no way justifies or claims justification in humans.

I don't think anything can justify an action, the action is either good, bad, or neutral, you can try to justify it to yourself, and maybe try to convince someone else, but the ultimate truth of it is independant of opinions.

Upvote 0

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Or one like this:

Of course an opinion can justify something. Whether or not it's a valid justification is another issue.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yes, opinion can justify anything that requires a deciding opinion (juries, parliament, etc), or that only changes on opinion (subjective preference, etc). Sometimes one's opinion must be strictly dictated by the evidence, as is the case with good legal systems and with science, but it's an opinion nonetheless.

Upvote 0