Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I've been drawn back into Christianity after having been a muslim for 5 years. I have no denomination as I'm still exploring local churches and researching. I do however feel drawn to the rosary prayer. Is it ok for a non-catholic to pray the rosary?

Much of it is just fine, the Apostles Creed, the Lord's prayer, etc., but where the waters get more than a little bit murky is when the Rosary departs into praying to Mary and asking her to pray for us. For example, a Christian no-no would be:
"HAIL HOLY QUEEN, mother of mercy; our life, our sweetness, and our hope. To thee do we cry........................"

or

"Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death"

Upvote 0

angel in hope

May 11, 2013
wv
✟7,947.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
im a christian and i do at times pray the Rosery...I worship not mary our mother i worship and just about all my prayers our lead from the holy spirit..Which are totally differnt prayers then the Rosery..i meant to say i worship Jesus...lol..my brain hurts today..lol...

So i see nothing wrong with praying the rosery..but i personally have to put Jesus first and pray what the holy spirit has givev to me to pray..i think thats better...help.....lolo..lol..lol

Upvote 0

xaira

May 15, 2013
✟7,720.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-NDP
When I was a protestant before I converted to Islam I also had an issue with what I perceived to be praying to Mary. However now I see it as just asking her to pray for me in the same way I would ask anyone else alive or dead to pray for me. However I'm still transitioning back to Christianity so I'm trying to keep an open mind and spirit to all things.

Upvote 0
Sep 4, 2011
✟10,276.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
If you like the idea of reciting a pre-written prayer, you might enjoy the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer.

The Online Book of Common Prayer

In it, you'll find nice rhythms and meaningful expressions of devotion to God. Click on Prayers and Thanksgivings, and it gives such a comprehensive list of things to pray for, it's humbling how many needs we forget to pray about!

Upvote 0

theophilus40

Nov 6, 2012
✟8,807.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
However now I see it as just asking her to pray for me in the same way I would ask anyone else alive or dead to pray for me.
The Bible encourages us to ask living believers to pray for us but it forbids communication with the dead.

What does the Bible say about praying to / speaking to the dead?

Catholics claim that asking Mary for help isn't actually praying to her but think about what it entails. People all over the world are speaking to Mary and expect her to hear them. That implies a belief that Mary is omnipresent and able to hear all of their prayers. This is actually an act of worship even tho it isn't called that.

There is nothing in the Bible that even indicates the dead are able to hear anything that is said to them. If you want to ask someone to pray for you ask those who are still alive.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
...I do however feel drawn to the rosary prayer. Is it ok for a non-catholic to pray the rosary?

Absolutely!!! The Rosary is a wonderful meditation on Christ.

However now I see it as just asking her to pray for me in the same way I would ask anyone else alive or dead to pray for me.
Yep. There's nothing at all about it that any Christian need worry about... including the Hail Holy Queen.

And I'd like to invite you over to the One Bread, One Body section of the forums.

Last edited:
Upvote 0