Can a Christian question the authority and infallability of the Bible?

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Sigh.

The Isaiah 53 we have today is based on the Hebrew Masoretic text, from 1008 AD. An older, complete scroll of Isaiah is from the Dead Sea caves and has variation from the later Masoretic text. BUT OUR BIBLES USE THE MASORETIC TEXT WHEN THEY TRANSLATE ISAIAH. Since it is later than the Dead Sea version by about 1200 years and has variations from the Dead Sea scrolls, how do you justify using it for your Bible codes? If even one letter is different between these texts it ruins the premise that skip interval is a valid method of exegesis.

I don't know which one they used, but that was the result.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't know which one they used, but that was the result.

All Hebrew bible codes use the Masoretic text because it is the authorized version for Judaism. The Masoretic text is also the basis for the OT translations used by nearly all Christian Bibles. That text is just over 1000 years old. There are older manuscripts of the OT, but they are not used.

Upvote 0

Ron Gurley

What U See is What U Get!
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2015
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
✟87,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The "author" of the Bible is God the Holy Spirit. He superintended and inspired men to write manuscripts which in their original form were without error. There are many interpretive tools for the systematic theology in interpreting the Bible. God the Holy Spirit should be the interpreter of the Bible.

Upvote 0

spockrates

Wonderer
Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
✟17,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Because God is not trapped in the pages of a book? Nor is he bound by our interpretation of it.
Hi, @Steve Petersen. Hope you don't mind me being late to the conversation. I agree people's interpretations can be flawed, especially since certain key biblical passages are seem to me to be ambiguous. :)

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
to say the bible which is the Word of God is fallible is to effectively say God is fallible.

not sure how a born again follower of Christ could do such a thing.

Which Bible are you referring to? I am not speaking of translations here, but canons, that is which collection of books of the Bible. Not all Christian denominations have had the same books in their Bibles.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Which Bible are you referring to? I am not speaking of translations here, but canons, that is which collection of books of the Bible. Not all Christian denominations have had the same books in their Bibles.
This would not include the apocryphal books

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
to say the bible which is the Word of God is fallible is to effectively say God is fallible.

not sure how a born again follower of Christ could do such a thing.
Sorry, but people who reject inerrancy don't think God is fallible. In fact people who don't believe in inerrancy believe that Scripture contains the word of God in varying ways, but isn't directly The Word.

Certainly the Bible records cases where people (e.g. the prophets) say "thus says the Lord."

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sorry, but people who reject inerrancy don't think God is fallible. In fact people who don't believe in inerrancy believe that Scripture contains the word of God in varying ways, but isn't directly The Word.

Certainly the Bible records cases where people (e.g. the prophets) say "thus says the Lord."

In other words, they don't believe all of scripture to be God's Word which brings it's authority into question. They then get to pick and choose what they want to follow.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Books that are/were part of the NT canon of present Christian denominations.

Still of man's choosing to accept or reject. I think the Church made mistakes.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi, @Steve Petersen. Hope you don't mind me being late to the conversation. I agree people's interpretations can be flawed, especially since certain key biblical passages are seem to me to be ambiguous. :)

Quite ambiguous. While I strongly believe God loves and blesses the Bible literalists who believe in the infallibility of the Scriptures, and indeed they may be justified in that belief, I myself see that ambiguity as our Achilles heel when it comes to understanding.

I know of no devout Jew or Christian who does not just sort of ignore those passages in the Bible that we no longer wish to obey--I have cited a few in this thread and have yet to have anybody acknowledge them. :) All pick and choose those passages they wish to be authoritative and shrug off those that might put such passages into a different perspective.

And it isn't only the literalists who tend to do that I think.

How many times have Christians admonished their brethren that we are to be our brother's keeper? And that is based on Genesis 4.9: Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" "I don't know," he replied. "Am I my brother's keeper?"

Looking at this through 21st century eyes, it is an impertinent response, as well as a lie, saying that he is not responsible for his brother.

But if we look at it through the eyes of the ancient ones, a 'keeper' is the tender of the flocks, the shepherd who directs where they go, what they eat, where they sleep or in other words is their overlord or master.

Is that how we think of people when we suggest it is our responsibility to be their 'keeper'? It wouldn't be such a noble virtue would it.

Cain in fact was most likely stating that he had no such authority over his brother and was expressing respect for his brother even as he lied about what he had done.

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it reallly necessary to launch into a false history of the English church every time a discussion develops over differences between Catholics an Protestants? Realllly? It's becoming the "go to" reply every time that a Catholic is stumped, and it's off-topic in any case.:doh:
They seem to forget St. Augustine of Canterbury and the divisions leading up to the Synod of Whitby!

Upvote 0

Raphael Jauregui

Episcopalian, liberal Anglican, Mdiv
May 3, 2017
Mesa
✟28,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
The "author" of the Bible is God the Holy Spirit. He superintended and inspired men to write manuscripts which in their original form were without error. There are many interpretive tools for the systematic theology in interpreting the Bible. God the Holy Spirit should be the interpreter of the Bible.
The authors of the Bible were human beings. They inspired to write, yes, but the authors were human and still prone to human error as well as human biases and presuppositions beholden to their contexts.

• Agree
Reactions: jerrygab2
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I question everything. However at the end of the day, i weigh my options and nothing in this world can replace the love of God and the promise of eternal life. These things give me joy. So i follow the Lord (Spirit) and His word (Scriptures) Amen. I feel joy just talking about it. Praise the Lord, my shepherd.

Upvote 0