Can a Christian ever renounce his faith?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPolo

Woe those who call evil good + good evil. Is 5:20
Jul 29, 2007
Visit site
✟17,196.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Going to church falsely would not be efficacious. As to leaving/returning to the faith:

Luke 15:24 for this my son was dead, and is alive again...

The older son was in the faith, left the faith, and returned to the faith. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
If a person says that he renounces God but he:

1. Still follows God and reads the Bible, goes to Church, etc, is he still saved?

2. Later desires forgiveness?
How can you renounce God and still follow God?

I would speculate that such a person is confused as to the meaning of 'renounce'. If you are still attending church, reading the Bible, and following God, you have not renounced Him.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Even at the 11th hour it is possible to lose and regain salvation.

Forgive me...

Going to church falsely would not be efficacious. As to leaving/returning to the faith:

Luke 15:24 for this my son was dead, and is alive again...

The older son was in the faith, left the faith, and returned to the faith. :thumbsup:

How can you renounce God and still follow God?

I would speculate that such a person is confused as to the meaning of 'renounce'. If you are still attending church, reading the Bible, and following God, you have not renounced Him.

What they ^^^ all said!

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If a person says that he renounces God but he:

1. Still follows God and reads the Bible, goes to Church, etc, is he still saved?

2. Later desires forgiveness?

If the person still follows the Lord , they didn't renounce Him - no need for forgiveness .

If you are saying that reading the bible and going to "church" are indicators of salvation - they are not . They are not needed nor required for salvation nor are needed nor required to follow the Lord . People can read the Scriptures and go to religious meetings all they want and not follow the Lord in any sense .

Upvote 0

holo

former Christian
Dec 24, 2003
✟77,794.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
If your mother has given birth to you, can you become another woman's son? Like, if you really try as hard as you can to become another woman's child? Or if you simply don't want your mother to be your mother?

If God calls you His child, can you decide not to be? How many times can you be born again?
How did you become a child of God to begin with? What exercises did you do, or what thoughts did you think, or what performance did you achieve, to make Him call you His own child?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Can you read the Bible, believe in God, but blaspheme the Holy Spirit, then where does our Lord Jesus Christ come in?

Faith is believing in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Faith is CHRIST-centredness.

I know a lot of Christians who are GOD-centred, but NOT CHRIST-centred.

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Upvote 0

OldStudent

Feb 24, 2007
central Ohio
✟8,188.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
How would He NOT allow it? If it were shown that He doesn't allow backsliding - wouldn't that make Him a tyrant to be avoided? A study of the parable of the sower in Matthew 13 may be a starting point of this study as well.

I went to BibleGateway.com and ran a topical search on "backslide*." That will load you up for a few minutes!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.