Sep 24, 2009
India
Visit site
✟15,241.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We already have a thread here on Yoga, good or bad for the body and spirit . But before that let us come to a conclusion, whether a Christian can practice yoga at all? No matter how Good an option is, if it's against our Spiritual growth, no practicing christian would like to pursue.

Anything that is ancient and particularly from another civilization and culture will always have a Religious subtext or connotation attached to it. It doesn't matter whether its a herbal medicinal science, physical trainings like yoga, martial art forms (karate, judo and other forms too have a lot of religious/spiritual subtexts to them) and in some cases even their dresses have mythological stories attached to them.

Now in this internet age, where the world has become a global village, it is confusing to many people when they are confronted with anything that is from other civilizations and cultures.

The Old testament Jews did not have a numeric system at all, they used to write the numbers in words. The system that they adopted was from the Sumerian/babylonian civilization. Sumerians had two numeric systems one is based on 6, 12, 30, 60 ... and the other was the metric one i.e. based on 10 by 3100 BC. And we all know even the numeric systems have a lot of gods and goddesses attached to them. Each number is represented by a god and also by a planet.

But certainly the Israelites only adopted the numbers and left the religious subtext. When they said 'one' they were not thinking of Sun for sure :)

The days are named after planets, moons and sun even today in all cultures and languages.

Many English words are derived from the Greek mythology (names of gods and goddesses)

The thing I am trying to point out is that today we are a mixture of lot many things that we have borrowed from the ancient civilizations and cultures and everyone of them had a religious subtext to it.

When we go to the doctor we often hear ' do this religiously'. We use this phrase because we know anything that is religious is followed blindly and that was the main objective behind putting a religious connotation to everything in the ancient world.

Just because Push ups are known as Surya Namashkar in yoga terminology (means salutation to the sun) that doesn't mean every christian who hits push ups is worshiping the sun. :D

Yoga is a great physical training discipline. It's high time that Christians who are well versed in Yoga start classes which mainly focuses on the physical benefit aspects. If you insist to your yoga teacher he/she will be ready to leave the so called supernatural aspect.

The remaining things about Kundalini and stuffs, just put them in the back burner. I am in India and trust me i have never seen an enlightened, kundalini awakened guru in my entire life.

Just do your yoga with the mechanical precision that we follow while doing our curls and bench presses.

The most progressive and bold statement made by apostle Paul was about eating the food offered to idols and he goes on to say in

1 Cor 8:8 But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

Now imagine, he is talking about food offered to the Idols, for the jews it was nothing less than joining the Church of Satan in today's comparison.

Like St Augustine said, " Unity in all essentials, Liberty in all non enssentials and Charity in everything " let us work for the furtherance of His kingdom.

(I am bringing this debate from fitness and health category to this one; moderators hope this is not against the forum rules :))

Be blessed.
Edward G

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Good post . I would like to add something ...

The most progressive and bold statement made by apostle Paul was about eating the food offered to idols and he goes on to say in

1 Cor 8:8 But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

Do you realize how many christians don't believe that ? They would no more eat food sacrificed to idols than the Jews of Paul's time - and , for the same reasons .

I put up a poll in a forum at least five years ago and asked if people would eat food sacrificed to idols . The response was an overwhelming "No" - or even "Hell , no" ( though usually stated in a different way ) .

Xmas not being celebrated for this reason and Easter for that reason and Halloween for yet another reason all come back to people doing things in the past that have nothing to do with people doing something now . Even so , an idol is still nothing .

Upvote 0

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟36,026.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I once heard a preacher say (yes I know someone's not gonna like this and report me). That yoga is just having spiritual intercourse with demons.

I once told that to a friend who was doing yoga as a result she stopped then told me she felt freedom when she stopped

Upvote 0

EdwardG

Progressive
Sep 24, 2009
India
Visit site
✟15,241.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good post . I would like to add something ...

Do you realize how many christians don't believe that ? They would no more eat food sacrificed to idols than the Jews of Paul's time - and , for the same reasons .

I put up a poll in a forum at least five years ago and asked if people would eat food sacrificed to idols . The response was an overwhelming "No" - or even "Hell , no" ( though usually stated in a different way ) .

Xmas not being celebrated for this reason and Easter for that reason and Halloween for yet another reason all come back to people doing things in the past that have nothing to do with people doing something now . Even so , an idol is still nothing .

Absolutely.
New Wineskin, the challenge with Christianity all across the ages was about different people coming and joining the Kingdom and trying to Hijack the Christian cause with their own understandings and dogmas thus portraying a completely different Christ than the one of the Gospel.

Let me elaborate.
The Jews who were the ones who wanted the Lord to be crucified, somehow were persuaded and accepted the Lord. Immediately they tried interpreting the Gospel with their Laws as the benchmark and yardstick, like circumcision etc. They tried to Hijack the christian movement and wanted to be the champions, but some how the apostles wrestled it out of their hands (some gave in, in the beginning).
Then the Gnostics tried to hijack the movement again the Lord's grace saved it from them.
Then the Romans joined in, the ones who were burning our brethren because of their faith, started burning the non-believers again because of their faith :D, they did not change at all. Now the whole world is blaming Christians for what the Romans did.. funny isn't it. Again they hijacked the movement and portrayed a Christianity that was not Christ's vision.
It took a while for Christianity to come out of the Romans clutches.

In the New age, the Scientific community, the occult communities, the Positive thinking community all come and join Christianity but instead of changing themselves to Christian values are trying to change Christian values to suit them.

Now if you think the Pharisees, Sadducees and greek are the thing of the past, think again.
1 Cor 1:22 For both the Jews require signs, and the Greeks seek after wisdom.

The present day Christian community can be broadly divided into these three categories.

The Pharisees are the ones who run after Miracles, fake healers and scandalous TV evangelists. (these are the people who don't believe in Celebrating Christmas, easter etc etc)

The Saducees never believed that the Lord is bothered about humans and that He is least bothered about our pains and joy. Very similar to our Scientific Christian guys of this age.

The present day greeks, you know them they talk about hi fi things from the bible but don't have an iota of the fruits of the Holy Spirit.

It does not matter to some people whether its Christmas celebration or Yoga or for that matter any other thing, they will be very audible in their opposition to it.

My answer to Mystree and Renee:

In short, if your conscience is not comfortable in doing something please don't do it. But if your conscience is clear in these things, don't bother yourself with all this trivial talks. And always keep in mind there are people who are very sensitive and have a history of seeing, hearing and interacting with demons or things supernatural and out of the world. There are many like us, who will not see anything even in Amitiville and there are people who would see the devil in the church itself. For them it's better they don't do anything that goes against their spirit and conscience.

Guess what, at the dawn of the automobile era, there were preachers and believers who thought that the car is from the devil, the car is the beast of the devil, and that Christians should stay away from it. Try telling it to somebody today, they will send us to some mental facility :D

Remember, the Lord gave us a lot of autonomy in Non - Essential things, for He knew the internet age is coming ;) and thus said,
What you bind on earth will be bound in heaven and what you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Be blessed
Edward G

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟165,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Yoga is a great physical training discipline. It's high time that Christians who are well versed in Yoga start classes which mainly focuses on the physical benefit aspects.

The problem with this statement is that Jesus did not call us to be conformed to the world, but to Him,..

Joh 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto the Father.

This is not something that has good fruit associated with it, nor should we advocate it as Christians unless we want our witness questioned by other Christians.

If it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it is a duck.

Upvote 0

EdwardG

Progressive
Sep 24, 2009
India
Visit site
✟15,241.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The problem with this statement is that Jesus did not call us to be conformed to the world, but to Him,..

Now Arbiter, the problem with this statement is that this one is used by everyone and for everything under the sun. Right from not celebrating Christmas, birthdays, to yoga, physical training, movies, etc etc... we can go on and on and particularly for the issues which are of not much importance, where we can have a dose of liberty.

Surely the degree of importance can vary depending upon your place, culture, upbringing etc, but to simply put a blanket ban on such things using the above conformity statement is a little bit far fetched i think.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Most of the yoga that westerners exercise is simply flexibility stretching.

I had a disturbing experience in high school gym class when a spiritual practitioner asked us to meditate; but I still feel that participating in the physical exercise does not automatically connect us with demons.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why take a chance?

Let's face it, if we think we might be connecting to the demonic, and we know that doing so is a sin, then our conscious convicts us. If we are convicted against this, but do so anyway, then we are sinning regardless of if we connect to the demonic or not, because whatever is not done out of faith is sin (Rom 14:23) and no amount of justifying or semantics will change that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So you're against exercise as well?
Though exercise is good for your health, it profits little.

Psalm 90:10 And if by reason of strength they are eighty years, yet their boast is only labor and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.

Ecclesiastes 8:8 said:
No one has power over the spirit to retain the spirit, and no one has power in the day of death.

Ecclesiastes 12:7 said:
Then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.

Psalm 90:3 said:
You turn man to destruction, and say, "Return, O children of men."

Matthew 11:28 said:
But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell [literally in Death, and symbolically in Abyssos].

Rather, does not God sustain and provide for the body?

Matthew 6:25 "Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing?

Matthew 6:32-33 For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

he4rty

Just A Fool For Christ
Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
✟21,138.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
yoga as an exercise, I don't really have an issue with. But I think the risk is that anything like yoga or similar too doesn't suddenly through its own spirituality at you, it draws you in slowly without you possibly even realising. For me this is the dangers we face in all things being drawn in to something slowly and unaware.

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
yoga as an exercise, I don't really have an issue with. But I think the risk is that anything like yoga or similar too doesn't suddenly through its own spirituality at you, it draws you in slowly without you possibly even realising. For me this is the dangers we face in all things being drawn in to something slowly and unaware.
Yes, but I'm afraid even the positions and postures of yoga also pose a spiritual risk.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟136,930.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Rather, does not God sustain and provide for the body?

I'm pretty sure that the message of those scriptures is not supposed to be a green light for people to sit around on their hineys all day long eating Twinkies® and Ding-Dongs® and then expect that God will take care of their physical bodies.

:cool:

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm pretty sure that the message of those scriptures is not supposed to be a green light for people to sit around on their hineys all day long eating Twinkies® and Ding-Dongs® and then expect that God will take care of their physical bodies.

:cool:
That doesn't mean you don't have to exercise. :idea: You can if you want.

Upvote 0

Jpark

Oct 11, 2008
✟13,882.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It profits a little, but it still profits, unlike lying around or not exercising. Seems to me dying of a heart attack because you're too fat has no profit at all.
I drink Coke. :yum: But I also keep a healthy diet consisting of a salad and a steak.

Upvote 0

Why9999

Jan 8, 2010
Desert SW - USA
✟15,189.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Guys,

I highly recommend that you do not think of exercise as "optional". Our bodies were designed for movement and exercise. Exercise will literally rebuild your brain for example at any age. Exercise helps with almost every risk factor for heart disease. It greatly improves mortality and cancer rates - the list just goes on and on.

God gave us a brain and the research is pouring out of the labs showing how essential exercise is for the human body and mind. I think it is foolish to turn your back on the information God clearly intended for the whole world and especially Christians.

Upvote 0