✟1,091,281.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
1. Pro-Life

Theologians define this, most of the time, as the period from conception to natural death. I find that Democrats, in general, have more respect for people from the period of natural birth to natural death.

2. Pro-Family Values

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but I certainly think that siding with the Party who sought to give workers Family Leave, etc. is more "pro-family" than siding with the Party that fought it tooth and nail. Similarly, I would say that western European countries are far more pro-family than either Democrats or Republicans in the US.
3. Against Gay-Marriage

It seems as if both parties oppose gay marriage, but Democrats sometimes favor civil unions and anti-discrimination laws.

I would rather see my gay bretheren in committed monogamous relationships than promiscuous ones, myself. But I don't think those committed monogamous relationships should be called "marriages," and I support the rights of all churches to make their own rules regarding marriage.

4. Against Contraception

I would be extremely shocked if more than 5% of Republican public officials were against contraception as well.

I think that contraception enjoys wide public support among Republicans, Democrats, Conservatives, Liberals, Green Party, Libertarians, etc.

I have never seen "contraception" listed as a party position since I've been voting, and I think it's presumptious to assume that Republicans are less in favor of it than Democrats (I'd bet if you did a census, as a matter of fact, Republicans would have smaller families.)

6. Against embryonic Stem-Cell/Cloning research

President Bush is in favor of limited embryonic stem cell research. And many Republicans favor it as well.

My personal view is that, practically speaking, it concerns big business more than it does the average American. This research will take place all over the world, with or without American competition. The real question is whether Americans will get a slice of the pie.....and since it is a "big business" issue, it's a Republican issue.

I am hopeful that new discoveries about stem cells in amniotic fluid, etc. will bring an end both to this controversy AND to diseases like Parkisons, Juvenile Diabetes, etc.
6. For prayer in school

No one will stop a student from praying quietly to him or herself.

My own feeling about this is that if such a prayer were generic enough to please all the people (i.e. "to God as we understand Him") the very people who are clamoring for school prayer now would be marching on Washington to get it stopped.

And if it were NOT generic, it would be unconstitutional.

Upvote 0

CrusaderKing

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2006
United States
✟24,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If the president, indeed, has so little power, what harm does it do to have a great candidate who just happens to have no active campaign against abortion-legalizing legislation?

The President has the power to appoint justices to the Supreme Court and has the power to veto bills. Those are two very important powers that are outlined by the Constitution.

Upvote 0

SHYBEAR

Jun 28, 2007
Texas
✟7,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I wish I could help you out my friend and brother.

But I, being Canadian, do not understand much of US politics. I do not know the difference between the Democrats and Republicans.

Hey DLF, it easy as one two three! Democrats AND Republicans both happen to be liars, cheats and crooks, aka "Politicians".

You see when an American goes to the pole, its not REALLY about choosing the "right" or "best" candidate, OR party!

Its simply choosing the lesser of two evils. see how simple? :)

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The President has the power to appoint justices to the Supreme Court and has the power to veto bills. Those are two very important powers that are outlined by the Constitution.
It would seem the president also has the power to reject supreme court decisions as unconstitutional when he feels the courts have over stepped their powers.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.