drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I became a Christian when I was 13 years old but I backslid from the time that I was 15 until I was 18. At that point I came back to the Lord and rededicated my life to Christ. Over the years I've really struggled with certain passages in the book of Hebrews which seems to say that a person can't come back to God once they've been a Christian and backslid. Those verses are Hebrews chapter 6 verses 4 through 8 and Hebrews chapter 10 verses 26 and 27.

I am currently 43 years old and this is something that Ive struggle with off and on for years. I've done a ton of research on these verses and there are a multitude of interpretations. But the ultimate fear is that these verses say that once a person has been a Christian if they backslide they can never come back to God and they're damned.

I know there are two schools of thought when it comes to Salvation. One says that a person that has ever truly been a Christian can never lose their Salvation. And the other says that if ever a person backslid they never truly were a Christian to start with. But from what I can tell there are no interpretations for these verses in Hebrews that say a person can't come back to God if they've ever backslid. But the thing about those versus is that it appears that that's exactly what they seem to say.

I'm really trying hard to get resolution in this area because I don't want to live with fear and doubt about my Salvation for the rest of my life. Can anyone offer any help or advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,629.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
what i understand is everyone is welcme to be a servant of jesus even backsliden ones the only people who are doomed are the unrepentant and sinners who wont ask for forgiveness iv back sliden and cae back i got jesus working in me

Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I became a Christian when I was 13 years old but I backslid from the time that I was 15 until I was 18. At that point I came back to the Lord and rededicated my life to Christ. Over the years I've really struggled with certain passages in the book of Hebrews which seems to say that a person can't come back to God once they've been a Christian and backslid. Those verses are Hebrews chapter 6 verses 4 through 8 and Hebrews chapter 10 verses 26 and 27.

I am currently 43 years old and this is something that Ive struggle with off and on for years. I've done a ton of research on these verses and there are a multitude of interpretations. But the ultimate fear is that these verses say that once a person has been a Christian if they backslide they can never come back to God and they're damned.

I know there are two schools of thought when it comes to Salvation. One says that a person that has ever truly been a Christian can never lose their Salvation. And the other says that if ever a person backslid they never truly were a Christian to start with. But from what I can tell there are no interpretations for these verses in Hebrews that say a person can't come back to God if they've ever backslid. But the thing about those versus is that it appears that that's exactly what they seem to say.

I'm really trying hard to get resolution in this area because I don't want to live with fear and doubt about my Salvation for the rest of my life. Can anyone offer any help or advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

Have you got the story on the prodigal son anywhere in the scripture you quoted above ?

Upvote 0

drummingman

Jun 16, 2007
✟9,106.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you got the story on the prodigal son in the scripture you have quoted above ?
That is definitely one of the areas of scripture that is quoted to say that a person can come back to God if they backslide. The verses in Hebrews seems to start from the moment of Christs crucifixion and the parable of the prodigal son was told by Jesus before his crucifixion. So I have to wonder if that makes that particular parable null and void when it comes to what it's talking about in Hebrews?

Upvote 0

Rodan6

Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2016
Highland, CA
✟86,675.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Don't look to the Bible to determine the status of your soul. The Old Testament contains many great teachings of value, but one must understand that those priests that assembled these writings, did so in the light of the age in which they lived. We have the powerful teachings of Jesus, so God expects much more from us. Look to the fragment of God that indwells your soul for the answer you seek. When a soul continuously makes selfish choices in life, a person moves away from God and eventually the destruction of that soul becomes a possibility. Know that God is the absolute of love and logic and that nothing of value is ever lost. Embrace logical and loving choices as you go forward and you need never doubt your spiritual standing.

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Site Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You might get a lot of opinions, so here's mine. Hopefully you will base your decisions and beliefs on the Scriptures, not on any schools of thought. This is a really important question and you don't want to be building on such a shifting foundation as an opinion when you can base your life on the Word of God by hearing His Word and doing His word.

Try a thorough study of Isaiah. I was reading there today. God is interested when people repent. It's not that God is OK with sin and backsliding, but it is that God is full of lovingkindness (Jeremy 9) and demonstrates His love for us in that while we were sinners Christ died for our sins (Romans 5.8). That thought, that God is interested in those who repent, is throughout the Scriptures. The reason I mention Isaiah is that Israel was not just waving incense sticks before a phony altar, they were prostituting their entire culture to evil entities, which included child sacrifice and child abuse. This same people God called out of slavery in Egypt to be His holy people slipped to this degree of depravity multiple times, and He kept calling them. Yes, He punished them, and when things got really rough, they were much more inclined to turn to Him. We are often much like that. It's no surprise to Him. It's not what He wants, but our sin is actually not as difficult to Him as our lying hearts and our refusal to acknowledge our sin. Israel was a pretty awful demonstration of God's wonderful love, in that He kept reaching out to bring them out of that mess. He also clearly demonstrated His love for the nations/gentiles. You can bank on that. He is interested in your salvation, very much so.

People have put together philosophies, doctrines, and theories about what God is like and whether there is a cut-off point where we go from struggling sinners to reprobate and unforgivable. If anyone offers you support that you are too late, I'd be interested in hearing their argument. Yes, there is a day when God will judge the wicked. BUT, for today, I firmly believe it's the day of salvation for those who will repent, believe, and obey in the way God wants, through the grace offered in Jesus Christ.

Now, it sounds like you are seeking security. To be fair, many will say once you make a profession of faith in Jesus, that's all that is needed for that security, but you apparently have found sufficient Scriptures that raised the question, and that's good. God isn't fooled, and you know that. Please realize that in repenting, believing and obeying, that this is where you need to live in for the rest of your life. In this way, like Peter said, you will add all diligence to make your calling and election sure, for if you do these things, you will never stumble, for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. (2 Peter Chapter 1) Set your mind to love the LORD your God with all your heart, study what He has to say and do it (whether the words of the LORD in the OT or the Lord Jesus in the NT, and settle the question. You will find Him if you seek Him with all your heart. He said so (Jeremiah 29.13, Deuteronomy 4.29, and other places) and He doesn't lie.

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
One of the Greatest Places on Earth.
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The desire to serve God comes from the holy Spirit, indeed your faith in Jesus is a gift from God. When you have no more desire to serve God then you know that the holy spirit has been taken from you and that you are doomed. This happens only very rarely and usually in part. E.g we die in the sin which took us away from Christ. So in the wilful sins which took you away from Christ you will certainly perish you will not be given a second chance of repentance Hebrews 4:12-13 describes this process really nicely.

Hebrews 4:12-13
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

However if you love Jesus as the Son of God who died for your sins and was resurrected by God the Father after He paid the penalty for the sins of the world. Then you are a true Christian for the Holy Spirit makes you believe these truths, some one without God's spirit cannot love Jesus or have a desire to serve Him.

So like Jude tells us in our battle with the ungodly living within us

Jude 1:21
keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

While we keep the words of His promise in our minds.

John 10:25-30

Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

Faith in God's love will free you for your spiritual burden, instead of fearing your salvation praise God who choose you as one of His own.

Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I also became a Christian at 13 and was drawn away from the church for 11 years, falling into the sins of the world. When my life became a complete mess, He met me and put me back on the rails. It took 7 years of ministry and prayer to be restored.
He is still doing the Prodigal Son thing, because in the same way as the prodigal was lost and was still a son, so He restores those born again who fall into deception. This is a huge gift of Grace, and His own are eternally grateful. You cant be born again twice, but you can be restored to fellowship in the light, by His great mercy.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

You are correct in your interpretation of Hebrews. It teaches that a baptized Christian who falls away cannot be brought back. It says it in simple terms with not much interpretation required. It describes it as "impossible". That is not the only place in the new testament that says the same.

Fast forward to the last Roman persecution. There were Christians who denied Christ under threat of death and burned incense to the Roman emperor. At the end of the persecution the question was what then became of those who had fallen away but who later wanted to return to the Church. The decision was made to allow them to return after a period of penance, and the impossibility of Hebrews was set aside by the Church.

The answer to your question is yes, a person can return after backsliding.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,629.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The desire to serve God comes from the holy Spirit, indeed your faith in Jesus is a gift from God. When you have no more desire to serve God then you know that the holy spirit has been taken from you and that you are doomed. This happens only very rarely and usually in part. E.g we die in the sin which took us away from Christ. So in the wilful sins which took you away from Christ you will certainly perish you will not be given a second chance of repentance Hebrews 4:12-13 describes this process really nicely.

Hebrews 4:12-13
For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

However if you love Jesus as the Son of God who died for your sins and was resurrected by God the Father after He paid the penalty for the sins of the world. Then you are a true Christian for the Holy Spirit makes you believe these truths, some one without God's spirit cannot love Jesus or have a desire to serve Him.

So like Jude tells us in our battle with the ungodly living within us

Jude 1:21
keep yourselves in God’s love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

While we keep the words of His promise in our minds.

John 10:25-30

Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

Faith in God's love will free you for your spiritual burden, instead of fearing your salvation praise God who choose you as one of His own.
quick question sir if you dont ind im eotionless because the meds from my ocd and i dnt have desires to read the bible but i wanna be saved and want be on fire for god and serve him do ihave the holy spirit

Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I have to wonder if that makes that particular parable null and void when it comes to what it's talking about in Hebrews?

It is a big mistake to read the scriptures like that, that is how Islam translates the Koran as well. The Words of God are eternal and therefore always valid. If Jesus tells us a story about how the Father loves even His backsliding son then such is an eternal truth, it never transpires.

1 Peter 1:23-25
For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God. For,

“All people are like grass,
and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,
but the word of the Lord endures forever.

And this is the word that was preached to you.

Peace.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Jeshu

Bought by His Blood
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2005
✟600,188.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
quick question sir if you dont ind im eotionless because the meds from my ocd and i dnt have desires to read the bible but i wanna be saved and want be on fire for god and serve him do ihave the holy spirit

Absolutely. i get the same problem as you my anti-psychotics dull my inner world and make me depressed 24/7 still i know the Spirit of God is much more than a good feeling, He gets in our will and wills us to love and serve God. i follow the Spirit of God he speaks through the word of God in love for God and neighbour, the living word is much more than a feeling He is the eternal truth of God in our hearts.

As to not wanting to read the bible that is most likely because you have not yet understood that it is best read it in the spirit of love for God and neighbour as not to trigger confusion, fear, guilt, shame, regrets and other loveless hurtful emotions. i used to fear the bible but now i love it and read it daily it helps enormously hearing the Holy Spirit rightly.

Rest assured brother.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

Some Christians love to berate others with the book of Hebrews. I know one who gave me a really hard time when I was struggling. He emailed me the passage you are referring to. He is now totally backslidden and recently married an unbeliever. "Judge not....." comes to mind. Now I have to be careful not to judge him or to say "serves him right".

Lord Jesus made wonderful promises. He stated that no one can pluck then believer out of His hand. The life that Lord Jesus gives is eternal. If it is eternal, how can that life die? Is God going to condemn the new spirit that we receive at the new birth? Never. It would be effectively condemning Himself. There is NO condemnation to those in Christ Jesus.

Now if an individual deliberately, wilfully, and knowingly turn away from Christ, then that is a different issue. I don't know anyone who has done that. Most people who fall away were never properly in Christ in the first place. I was part of a group where a lot of people got offended and left us. I asked the Lord why. He said, "The parable of the sower". If the heart is not receptive to the Word, sooner or later there will be failure.

Forget about yourself. Focus on what the Lord Jesus has done for you. The writer to the Hebrews gave the dire warnings and then said that he was confident that the people reading would not fall away. Sometimes we need a bit of a reality check, a shake up to see if we are in the faith. God knows. As you say, we need to know. A friend and mentor said this to me. "If you can go back 2,000 years and stop Lord Jesus dying on the cross, then you can take away my salvation". He based his salvation entirely on what the Lord Jesus did at Calvary. Our part is to accept and enjoy the wonderful salvation Lord Jesus won for us.

The Prodigal son is a great example of God's attitude to those who backslide. The story is much more about the Father's heart of love than the rebellion of the son.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Maybe these will be helpful~~~> www.gotquestions.org/apostasy-salvation.html & www.gotquestions.org/backslide.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are correct in your interpretation of Hebrews. It teaches that a baptized Christian who falls away cannot be brought back. It says it in simple terms with not much interpretation required. It describes it as "impossible". That is not the only place in the new testament that says the same.

Fast forward to the last Roman persecution. There were Christians who denied Christ under threat of death and burned incense to the Roman emperor. At the end of the persecution the question was what then became of those who had fallen away but who later wanted to return to the Church. The decision was made to allow them to return after a period of penance, and the impossibility of Hebrews was set aside by the Church.

The answer to your question is yes, a person can return after backsliding.

I was baptised by total immersion at 16 before I slid away.
Personally I believe that my Status as a loved son kept me from denying Him to the point of renunciation and I was rescued from the fire. (there was not much left to burn...) Faithful prayers of the saints played a large part. My mum died at 98 - a great prayer warrior, my Grand-mum at 99 the same. I have a new life with huge blessing and an opportunity to serve Him in the remaining years.

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,629.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was baptised by total immersion at 16 before I slid away.
Personally I believe that my Status as a loved son kept me from denying Him to the point of renunciation and I was rescued from the fire. (there was not much left to burn...) Faithful prayers of the saints played a large part. My mum died at 98 - a great prayer warrior, my Grand-mum at 99 the same. I have a new life with huge blessing and an opportunity to serve Him in the remaining years.
it must of been hard i mean my mums dying and shes a non christian she believes in jesus but doesnt obey and refuses to so its hard specially since im 20 nd my dad abandoned me and my dad a atheist with demon tattoos but i trust jesus and i know you mum and grandmothers in heaven with jesus

Upvote 0

Gwendolynz

Dec 25, 2019
Portland, OR
✟17,873.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

None of us are perfect. If we were, we would be God. As far as I know, if you are contrite, and repent, to hold your feet to the fire after that is an abomination.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,562.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
it must of been hard i mean my mums dying and shes a non christian she believes in jesus but doesnt obey and refuses to so its hard specially since im 20 nd my dad abandoned me and my dad a atheist with demon tattoos but i trust jesus and i know you mum and grandmothers in heaven with jesus

Get strength from Reading the Bible and fellowship with other believers. One man with Jesus is a winning combination. Keep praying for them.

Upvote 0