Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have spoken to a couple of Calvinists via PM about this, but Calvinists must believe ( if I am understanding correctly) that A someone is not a Christian if they commit suicide or that B God doesn't care if we do not complete what He has set for us to complete ( since He is the one that is supposed to say when it is our time to go and by the DIRECT act of suicide we are making that decision for Him.

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I have spoken to a couple of Calvinists via PM about this, but Calvinists must believe ( if I am understanding correctly) that A someone is not a Christian if they commit suicide or that B God doesn't care if we do not complete what He has set for us to complete ( since He is the one that is supposed to say when it is our time to go and by the DIRECT act of suicide we are making that decision for Him.
You don't understand correctly. The Calvinist believes that God controls everything including the method and time of death. The Calvinist believes that we can in no way thwart God's plan. Do you honestly think we can make a decision for God?

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟904,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You don't understand correctly. The Calvinist believes that God controls everything including the method and time of death. The Calvinist believes that we can in no way thwart God's plan. Do you honestly think we can make a decision for God?
If we are God's temple and the Holy Spirit lives within us and He does not want His temple destroyed suicide by defination does so.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟904,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Unless, of course, suicide is the means God determined beforehand to end your life.
By that logic there is no point in trying to talk someone out of suicide nor in offering or forcing help on them to keep them from trying. For example, it has been proven that people who have tried and/or SERIOUSLY considered ending it in the past are more likely to try again than the were the first time.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
By that logic there is no point in trying to talk someone out of suicide nor in offering or forcing help on them to keep them from trying. For example, it has been proven that people who have tried and/or SERIOUSLY considered ending it in the past are more likely to try again than the were the first time.
Actually those who attempt suicide are only attempting. If they really wanted to end their life they would actually do it. Suicide attempts are a cry for help. Attempting suicide may be the way God intends to bring the help you need.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟904,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Actually those who attempt suicide are only attempting. If they really wanted to end their life they would actually do it. Suicide attempts are a cry for help. Attempting suicide may be the way God intends to bring the help you need.
Well while sometimes that is true sometimes I can promise you it is NOT their goal to live and even if it is the attempts sometimes go too far.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Well while sometimes that is true sometimes I can promise you it is NOT their goal to live and even if it is the attempts sometimes go too far.
All under the control and purpose of God. The point being that God's purpose is served either way.

Can a believer commit suicide? Sure but only if God allows the circumstances to bring it about. I know of a couple of preachers who did so but it was because of medication they were taking. God was not taken by surprise nor thwarted in His purpose by it.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟904,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
All under the control and purpose of God. The point being that God's purpose is served either way.

Can a believer commit suicide? Sure but only if God allows the circumstances to bring it about. I know of a couple of preachers who did so but it was because of medication they were taking. God was not taken by surprise nor thwarted in His purpose by it.
I did not say it takes God by surprise but rather that if He has not determined that it was your time to go then will He accept you and if so under what circumstances? because if someone has things God still wants to do with them ( say draw a friend with whom they have common ground to Him you can't do that if you are dead. I am NOT saying that God will not get His overall plan done without certain people I am saying that people can choose to "be on board or not and if someone does not want to follow God's plan for their life God will get someone else to, otherwise every time the Holy Spirit led you to do so you would do it. You and I both know we sometimes feel God's call (about a particular situation) and choose not to act.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I did not say it takes God by surprise but rather that if He has not determined that it was your time to go then will He accept you and if so under what circumstances?
If He has determined that it isn't your time to go then you won't. If He has and you are a true believer then He will accept you not because of what you did or didn't do but because you are in Christ. God never accepts us because of us or anything we do but because of what Christ did for us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟904,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What do others say as suicide (completed) you cannot repent and you can do NOTHING to "make good". You cannot bring yourself back to life.

Upvote 0

TwinMommy

Enjoying The Journey That God Is Guiding Me On
Feb 24, 2013
Rhode Island
✟15,218.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is my experience...I thought I had come to God about 12 years ago. I went through the motions of going to church off and on, that was the extent of it. About 11 years ago I swallowed a lot of pills followed by a bottle of wine. I did not die for two reasons...the wine made me very sick and everything came back up and secondly and most importantly, it was not the time that God set for my death. I back slide for a number of years and would go to church off and on but never really tried to know God. It wasn't till about a year and a half ago that I really felt God guiding me toward to Him. It was a pull I guess you could say, that I couldn't resist. There was no saying no. I do not feel that before I was a Christian. If someone asks me how long I have been a Christian, I will say a year and a half. I was baptized 12 years ago but it was just a going with the flow thing. So, my point is that I feel God has set a time, His time for us to now longer be here. If something we do causes our lives to end, I can't see how that is what God has already laid out for us. I could be totally wrong but I feel it is the truth.

Upvote 0