Zacharias

זכריה
Jun 18, 2004
✟12,721.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Calvinism -- This particular thought was originated by John Calvin and his followers. This theory states that individuals are predestined to be in or out of the Church without any personal choice in the matter.

John Calvin got his views from the Apostle Paul and Augustine's commentary on the Apostle Paul. We call it Calvinism after John Calvin. However, it is completely Biblical and has been around longer than John Calvin. :)

Upvote 0

Imblessed

Reformed Baptist with a Quaker heritage
Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Calvinism -- This particular thought was originated by John Calvin and his followers. This theory states that individuals are predestined to be in or out of the Church without any personal choice in the matter.
definitely not "originated" by Calvin. Calvin wrote quite a bit about election and predestination, but it wasn't until a long while after his death that the term "calvinism" became popular.

and it's not a 'theory that individuals are predestined to be in or out of the church without any personal choice'---that's probably about the most simplistic 'definition' I've ever come across, and totally misrepresents what Calvinism is about.

I'm not sure why I bothered even commenting, now that I have......

Upvote 0
H

HamletsChoice

Calvinism as it is called originated with Jesus Christ:

JOH 6:44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him...

JOH 6:37 "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me...

Upvote 0

bradfordl

Veteran
Mar 20, 2006
✟17,608.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Calvinism!
So what's the deal, friend? The gates are down now, so after more than 5000 posts you decide to saunter over to the reformed side of town and stir up strife? You will be soundly proven to be in error and in contradiction to scripture here, but if common experience is any indication, it will have little effect on you. Most arminians and other like self-glory mongers are impervious to scripture, their love of their own false self-importance being too valuable to them to let a little thing like the truth of scripture to rattle it. Keep writing your own scripture and sanctifying it with a "Thus saith the Lord", and I suppose you can convince yourself that whatever you want to believe is acceptable.... but that doesn't mean it is biblical.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Actually I'm a bit confused by this. Daniels often posts small pieces of text (which appear to be copied and pasted from elsewhere), but does not offer his own comments either in the OP or elsewhere. Many of his threads can be found in GA, and it appears that he now makes these posts here as well. I'm a bit confused as to why he does this.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Calvinism -- This particular thought
What? Naming it "calvinism"? Well no.
was originated by John Calvin and his followers. This theory states that individuals are predestined
originated? Well no. The Apostle Paul had it first (Ep 1:4). I'm sure you can find out more in the Council of Orange and the Council of Chalcedon, as well as Augustine.
to be in or out of the Church
Church? Well no. Actually it's election if you want the exact point.
without any personal choice in the matter.
No choice? Well no. It's actually that the person's choice is from His regenerate heart, so it occurs through the regeneration of the Holy Spirit. You know: the Apostle John's view (Jn 3:3)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
H

HamletsChoice

Actually I'm a bit confused by this. Daniels often posts small pieces of text (which appear to be copied and pasted from elsewhere), but does not offer his own comments either in the OP or elsewhere. Many of his threads can be found in GA, and it appears that he now makes these posts here as well. I'm a bit confused as to why he does this.

It's called drive-by postings...he can't adequately defend his beliefs one on one so he resorts to drive-by "shootings." It's guerilla arminianism, shallow and cowardice as it is.

Reactions: xapis
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did I see someone say "drive-by" posting? Does this sound like him:

th_23db.gif

Just passing thorugh
cstrut2.gif

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Charlamagne1

Aug 6, 2007
✟15,196.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Beoga

Sola Scriptura
Feb 2, 2004
Visit site
✟19,681.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Before you praise Calvin too much you should learn what he did to Michael Servetus and how he ran the city of Geneva.

What, like burn Servetus? You act like that is a bad thing. Its a standard we should implement today in our churches.
:p
Seriously, do a little bit more research. Calvin had no control over whether or not Servetus burned. He pleaded with Servetus to recant of his error. He also did not want Servetus burned, but Calvin was not in charge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul was making a career out of executing Christians when Jesus slammed him to the ground & blinded him.
Maybe we should everybody tear all of Pauls writings out of the canon!

Oh yeah! Come to think of it Psalms should be burnt too, after considering his crimes.;)

Upvote 0