Calvinism rejected by all church fathers till 350 A.D.

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
According to:

"The first 300-350 years AD we had a complete agreement among the early church fathers that man has a free will, that we are not ”once saved always saved” and that we were not born with some kind of sinful nature which is holding us back to depravity and inability to seek and find God. Are we to believe those years were full of darkness before Augustine entered the scene (354 -430 AD) to finally give us light? The only ones who taught against free will were the gnostics. All of the early church up to the time of Augustine was unanimous in their belief and understanding of the nature of sin being that of choice."

Quotes from old church fathers, supporting Free will and objecting to the Sinful nature

PFRS Calvinism - Rom. 9 & Eph. 1
Were the Early Church Fathers Calvinists? – A Brief Reply to Dr. Fernandes | Gentle Reformation
Calvin Dissing the Fathers - Orthodox Reformed Bridge
http://nagasawafamily.org/article-free-will-in-patristics.pdf
jarom.net
http://www.biblequery.org/Doctrine/Predestination/EarlyChristiansNotCalvinists.htm

• Agree
Reactions: Butch5

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to:

"The first 300-350 years AD we had a complete agreement among the early church fathers that man has a free will, that we are not ”once saved always saved” and that we were not born with some kind of sinful nature which is holding us back to depravity and inability to seek and find God. Are we to believe those years were full of darkness before Augustine entered the scene (354 -430 AD) to finally give us light? The only ones who taught against free will were the gnostics. All of the early church up to the time of Augustine was unanimous in their belief and understanding of the nature of sin being that of choice."

Quotes from old church fathers, supporting Free will and objecting to the Sinful nature

Were the Early Church Fathers Calvinists? – A Brief Reply to Dr. Fernandes | Gentle Reformation
jarom.net
Were Any Early Church Fathers Calvinists?

God exist outside of time.
There is no rational way to explain God's methods
by a human who does not know the past and the
future at the same time. There is no way reconcile
the two views, in this life.

It's funny how you wedge dates of time into this discussion
about being-saved being subject to time, or not.

It's not even possible to say that "Free Will" is an illusion
becasue we think we have it, but we know we don't,
but it seems like we do, but from God's perspective
we don't, but he gave us the perspective that we do.

See what I mean? There is NO way to reconcile the two views.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Clement, I noticed you're non-denominational. Would that mean that you hold to certain theological tenants that came out of the Protestant reformation? I wonder what your views on the rapture are. I wonder just how many of your theological beliefs we can trace to before 350 AD.

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
God exist outside of time.
There is no rational way to explain God's methods
by a human who does not know the past and the
future at the same time. There is no way reconcile
the two views, in this life.

It's funny how you wedge dates of time into this discussion
about being-saved being subject to time, or not.

It's not even possible to say that "Free Will" is an illusion
becasue we think we have it, but we know we don't,
but it seems like we do, but from God's perspective
we don't, but he gave us the perspective that we do.

See what I mean? There is NO way to reconcile the two views.

We know we don't have freewill? I can't agree with that.

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Clement, I noticed you're non-denominational. Would that mean that you hold to certain theological tenants that came out of the Protestant reformation? I wonder what your views on the rapture are. I wonder just how many of your theological beliefs we can trace to before 350 AD.

This post isn't about me or my beliefs, though i may post some thoughts later.

Can Calvinists provide a single Church Father quote before Augustine who denied Libertarian Free will?

Upvote 0

gordonhooker

Franciscan tssf
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2012
Wellington Point, QLD
Visit site
✟274,602.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I don't know that I would disregard Augustine totally because of his theological view on 'free will, and his thought on original sin', after all he was theologian just like the other early church fathers. My signature tag line says it all in my humble opinion. :)

Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
According to:

jarom.net
As one who studies the gnostics tenet, your words are not true. Neither were Irenaeus, in his description of sexual perversions by the gnostics. The books have been found (Nag Hammadi) and proved the church fathers lied to promote their own tenets.

I read Hippolytus of Rome a few weeks ago. I found his knowledge as well as his arrogant attitude most unappealing in structure, as the same of Tertullian and Irenaeus before him. In all the books of these men, everything is heresy but them, out of their mouths. Yet their demeanor and words are nothing like the grace the savior displayed in his teaching against spiritual ignorance.

These men have developed a system that elevated them to high status. They repaired the veil and placed themselves in the Holy of the Holies. And like the Pharisee's, adopted physical force against any view they didn't understand.

From what I gather from Calvinism, is that once the Bible, that was held hostage in Latin and read only by the elite priests for 800 years, became available in English and German, they saw a difference in what was taught against what was written. Both early translators of the Bible from Latin to English were slaughtered by the RCC at bequest of the reigning Pope. (Read of William Tyndale and John Wycliffe).

So many religions became evident once the Bible was given back to man.

IMO, John Calvin saw the same arguments made by Arius and many other early church leaders. And tried to depart from a worldly church into a more spiritual understanding.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We know we don't have freewill? I can't agree with that.

Well we have free will, but God has determined the process and the outcome
and wrote it all down in the Book of Life before He formed the world.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
.....Does God predestine some part of humanity to salvation and another part to damnation and there is nothing either group can do about it? Many arguments have been presented in support of this.
.....But, note this passage from Jeremiah. God said “I have caused to cleave” That word is
הדבקתי/ha’dabaq’thi. It is in the perfect or completed sense. God’s will, expressly stated, for the whole house of Israel and Judah, not just an elect, predestined, chosen, few, was for all of Israel and all of Judah to cling to God as a belt clings to a man’s waist. It was done, finished, completed, in God’s sight, and, according to some arguments presented, nothing man can do will cause God’s will to not be done. But they, Israel and Judah, would not hear and obey, their will, vs. God’s will, So God destroyed them, vs. 14.
.....This passage very much speaks to the issue of salvation, God’s sovereign will, and man’s free will and agency. God stated very clearly what His will was, in terms that cannot be misunderstood. But, because the Israelites would not hear, and obey, God destroyed them, instead of them being unto God, “
for a people, and for a name, and for a praise, and for a glory, vs. 10.”
Jer 13:1 Thus saith the LORD unto me, Go and get thee a linen girdle, and put it upon thy loins, and put it not in water.
2 So I got a girdle according to the word of the LORD, and put it on my loins.
3 And the word of the LORD came unto me the second time, saying,
4 Take the girdle that thou hast got, which is upon thy loins, and arise, go to Euphrates, and hide it there in a hole of the rock.
5 So I went, and hid it by Euphrates, as the LORD commanded me.
6 And it came to pass after many days, that the LORD said unto me, Arise, go to Euphrates, and take the girdle from thence, which I commanded thee to hide there.
7 Then I went to Euphrates, and digged, and took the girdle from the place where I had hid it: and, behold, the girdle was marred, it was profitable for nothing.
8 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
9 Thus saith the LORD, After this manner will I mar the pride of Judah, and the great pride of Jerusalem.
10 This evil people, which refuse to hear my words, which walk in the imagination of their heart, and walk after other gods, to serve them, and to worship them, shall even be as this girdle, which is good for nothing.
11 For as the girdle cleaveth to the loins of a man,
so have I caused to cleave [הדבקתי/ha’dabaq’thi] unto me the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah, saith the LORD; that they might be unto me for a people, and for a name, and for a praise, and for a glory: but they would not hear.
· · ·
14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.
Note, verse 14, God said He will NOT have pity, will NOT spare, and will NOT have mercy but destroy them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Can Calvinists provide a single Church Father quote before Augustine who denied Libertarian Free will?
What would it matter? It sounds like you're implicitly arguing that if one cannot find an ECF that argued against libertarian free will prior to 350 AD that it must therefore mean that the teaching is somehow false.

Yet, we know this isn't valid reasoning because there is such a thing as progressive revelation. I don't think any of us would disagree with the idea that the disciples lacked a comprehensive understanding of the Trinity, yet we believe in the Trinity. The term Trinity wasn't even used until 75+ years after Christ lived.

So why 350 AD? What is so special about that date? Is your argument that all progressive revelation ended prior to 350 AD, and that any "new" beliefs that have arisen since 350 AD are therefore false?

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟821,156.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
According to:

jarom.net
Where do you get the concept that Augustine taught against free will?

Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
As one who studies the gnostics tenet, your words are not true. Neither were Irenaeus, in his description of sexual perversions by the gnostics. The books have been found (Nag Hammadi) and proved the church fathers lied to promote their own tenets.
The Nag Hammadi is a collection of Gnostic books long rejected by the Church as heretical, and has nothing to do with the ECF. Irenaeus wrote extensively AGAINST the gnostics 200 years before the Nag Hammadi was written.

“Those, therefore, who desert the preaching of the Church, call in question the knowledge of the holy presbyters…It behooves us, therefore, to avoid their doctrines, and to take careful heed lest we suffer any injury from them; but to flee to the Church, and be brought up in her bosom, and be nourished with the Lord’s Scriptures. For the Church has been planted as a garden (paradisus) in this world; therefore says the Spirit of God, ‘Thou mayest freely eat from every tree of the garden,’ that is, Eat ye from every Scripture of the Lord; but ye shall not eat with an uplifted mind, nor touch any heretical discord.”
Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 5:20 (A.D. 180).

“But [it has, on the other hand, been shown], that the preaching of the Church is everywhere consistent, and continues in an even course, and receives testimony from the prophets, the apostles, and all the disciples…For in the Church,” it is said, “God hath set apostles, prophets, teachers,’ and all the other means through which the Spirit works; of which all those are not partakers who do not join themselves to the Church, but defraud themselves of life through their perverse opinions and infamous behaviour. For where the Church is, there is the Spirit of God; and where the Spirit of God is, there is the Church, and every kind of grace; but the Spirit is truth.” Irenaeus, Against Heresies, 3:24 (A.D. 180).

The real reason you slander Irenaeus is because he wasn't a Protestant.

Funny how no one noticed the ECF lied until all these prot cults popped up out of thin air.

I read Hippolytus of Rome a few weeks ago. I found his knowledge as well as his arrogant attitude most unappealing in structure, as the same of Tertullian and Irenaeus before him. In all the books of these men, everything is heresy but them, out of their mouths. Yet their demeanor and words are nothing like the grace the savior displayed in his teaching against spiritual ignorance.
Quotes from these nasty ECF would be helpful. I found these:

Hippolytus
“By this Spirit Peter spake that blessed word, ‘Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.’ By this Spirit the rock of the Church was established.”​
Hippolytus, Discourse on the Holy Theophany, 9 (ante A.D. 235).

“But we who hope for the Son of God are persecuted and trodden down by those unbelievers. For the wings of the vessels are the churches; and the sea is the world, in which the Church is set, like a ship tossed in the deep, but not destroyed; for she has with her the skilled Pilot, Christ. And she bears in her midst also the trophy (which is erected) over death; for she carries with her the cross of the Lord…As the wind the Spirit from heaven is present, by whom those who believe are sealed: she has also anchors of iron accompanying her, viz., the holy commandments of Christ Himself, which are strong as iron. She has also mariners on the right and on the left, assessors like the holy angels, by whom the Church is always governed and defended.”​
Hippolytus, Christ and Anti-Christ, 59 (A.D. 200)

It is not by drawing on the Holy Scriptures nor by guarding the tradition of some holy person that the heretics have formulated these doctrines.’
Hippolytus of Rome, Refutation of All Heresies 1, Preface (c. A.D. 230).

Hippolytus was a schismatic bishop but made peace with the Church before his martyrdom.
Tertullian is valued as a historian but later in life became a heretic. That's why dates of his quotes are important.

These men have developed a system that elevated them to high status. They repaired the veil and placed themselves in the Holy of the Holies. And like the Pharisee's, adopted physical force against any view they didn't understand.
This is psychotic anti-Catholic gibberish.

From what I gather from Calvinism, is that once the Bible, that was held hostage in Latin and read only by the elite priests for 800 years, became available in English and German, they saw a difference in what was taught against what was written. Both early translators of the Bible from Latin to English were slaughtered by the RCC at bequest of the reigning Pope. (Read of William Tyndale and John Wycliffe).
A whopper of a lie!!!

So what was the real reason William Tyndale was condemned? Was translating the Bible into English actually illegal? The answer is no. The law that was passed in 1408 was in reaction to another infamous translator, John Wycliff. Wycliff had produced a translation of the Bible that was corrupt and full of heresy. It was not an accurate rendering of sacred Scripture.

Both the Church and the secular authorities condemned it and did their best to prevent it from being used to teach false doctrine and morals. Because of the scandal it caused, the Synod of Oxford passed a law in 1408 that prevented any unauthorized translation of the Bible into English and also forbade the reading of such unauthorized translations.

It is a fact usually ignored by Protestant historians that many English versions of the Scriptures existed before Wycliff, and these were authorized and perfectly legal (see Where We Got the Bible by Henry Graham, chapter 11, "Vernacular Scriptures Before Wycliff"). Also legal would be any future authorized translations. And certainly reading these translations was not only legal but also encouraged. All this law did was to prevent any private individual from publishing his own translation of Scripture without the approval of the Church...
... But it was their own founder, King Henry VIII, who in 1531 declared that "the translation of the Scripture corrupted by William Tyndale should be utterly expelled, rejected, and put away out of the hands of the people." ...
...Ultimately, it was the secular authorities that proved to be the end for Tyndale. He was arrested and tried (and sentenced to die) in the court of the Holy Roman Emperor in 1536. NOT BY THE POPE!!!
The Tyndale Fallacy

It was always available. This present case of a gender-inclusive edition of the Bible is a wonderful opportunity for Fundamentalists to reflect and realize that the reason they don’t approve of this new translation is the same reason that the Catholic Church did not approve of Tyndale’s or Wycliff’s. These are corrupt translations, made with an agenda, and not accurate renderings of sacred Scripture.
Tyndale's Heresy | Catholic Answers

Calvin Supports Death Penalty for Heresy After Servetus

John Calvin: Capital Punishment for “Heretics” (Anabaptists, Etc.)

John Calvin: Torment of an Inept Execution “Special Will of God”
a more spiritual understanding???

In the preface to the Institutes he [John Calvin] admitted the right of the government to put heretics to death . . . He thought that Christians should hate the enemies of God . . . Those who defended heretics . . . should be equally punished. (Smith, 178)

During Calvin’s reign in Geneva, between 1542 and 1546] “58 persons were put to death for heresy.” (Durant, 473)
Dialogue on Jihadist & 16th Century Calvinist Iconoclasm
(all links quote Protestant and secular historians)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kepha31

Jun 15, 2007
✟44,439.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
From what I gather from Calvinism, is that once the Bible, that was held hostage in Latin and read only by the elite priests for 800 years, became available in English and German, they saw a difference in what was taught against what was written.
Luther's Protestant Bible came out 1520 and before his Bible the Catholic Bible had been translated into Spanish, Italian, Danish, French, Norwegian, Polish, Bohemian, Hungarian and English, there was exactly 104 editions in Latin; 38 editions in German language, 25 editions in Italian language, 18 in French. In all 626 editions of the Bible with 198 in the language of the laity, had been edited before the first Protestant Bible was sent forth into the world.
Both early translators of the Bible from Latin to English were slaughtered by the RCC at bequest of the reigning Pope. (Read of William Tyndale and John Wycliffe).
It's too bad you haven't a shred of scholarly documentation to support your hate speech.

More psychotic anti-Catholic gibberish.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantasman
Upvote 0

Phantasman

May 12, 2012
Tennessee
✟34,626.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
You don't have to explain the "catholic" ideology to me in reference to the early church. I am very aware of the teachings of both gnosis and the catholic churches views.

The separation is there. You quote nothing but the fathers you follow.

John Wycliffe:
The Council of Constance declared Wycliffe a heretic on 4 May 1415, and banned his writings, effectively both excommunicating him retroactively and making him an early forerunner of Protestantism. The Council decreed that Wycliffe's works should be burned and his remains removed from consecrated ground. This order, confirmed by Pope Martin V, was carried out in 1428.[23] Wycliffe's corpse was exhumed and burned and the ashes cast into the River Swift, which flows through Lutterworth.

Proof that Popes valued what was flesh over what was spirit.

William Tyndale:
The hierarchy of the Roman Catholic Church did not approve of some of the words and phrases introduced by Tyndale, such as "overseer", where it would have been understood as "bishop", "elder" for "priest", and "love" rather than "charity". Tyndale, citing Erasmus, contended that the Greek New Testament did not support the traditional Roman Catholic readings. More controversially, Tyndale translated the Greek "ekklesia", (literally "called out ones"[49]) as "congregation" rather than "church".[50] It has been asserted this translation choice "was a direct threat to the Church's ancient—but so Tyndale here made clear, non-scriptural—claim to be the body of Christ on earth. To change these words was to strip the Church hierarchy of its pretensions to be Christ's terrestrial representative, and to award this honour to individual worshippers who made up each congregation."[50]

Contention from Roman Catholics came not only from real or perceived errors in translation but also a fear of the erosion of their social power if Christians could read the Bible in their own language.

Eventually, Tyndale was betrayed by Henry Phillips [30] to the imperial authorities,[31] seized in Antwerp in 1535, and held in the castle of Vilvoorde (Filford) near Brussels.[32] He was tried on a charge of heresy in 1536 and was condemned to be burned to death, despite Thomas Cromwell's intercession on his behalf. Tyndale "was strangled to death while tied at the stake, and then his dead body was burned"

Pope Urban II before a great battle:
All who die by the way, whether by land or by sea, or in battle against the pagans, shall have immediate remission of sins. This I grant them through the power of God with which I am invested.

Even Jesus wasn't so bold (or ignorant). The Popes kingdom was of this world.

Same with Pope Innocent and many others.

There is no way I see the Holy Spirit coming "into" one and acting like those of the catholic ideology.

I just see a Father who loves the world, and he is spirit. Not the flesh the ignorant rule. I'll stick with the "heretics" of the Catholic Church that didn't murder, lie or collude with world leaders to get their power grab.

I really couldn't care about Calvinism or Catholicism or any religion created out of the Bible. Christians follow the Holy Spirit, not men who say what and where it is but the one who uses spiritual knowledge to understand it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What would it matter? It sounds like you're implicitly arguing that if one cannot find an ECF that argued against libertarian free will prior to 350 AD that it must therefore mean that the teaching is somehow false.

Yet, we know this isn't valid reasoning because there is such a thing as progressive revelation. I don't think any of us would disagree with the idea that the disciples lacked a comprehensive understanding of the Trinity, yet we believe in the Trinity. The term Trinity wasn't even used until 75+ years after Christ lived.

So why 350 AD? What is so special about that date? Is your argument that all progressive revelation ended prior to 350 AD, and that any "new" beliefs that have arisen since 350 AD are therefore false?

Progressive revelation? If you mean that God has reveled things to man over time through the prophets and apostles, I can agree. If you're talking about Christian theology evolving after the apostles, I disagree. That would error. That modern Christians believe something that the apostles didn't teach doesn't prove progressive revelation, but that should be cause to question what the modern Christians believe. Jude wrote that the faith was once delivered to the saints.

Upvote 0