Calvinism in The Shack? :)

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That should be what good fiction does, sparking discussion.
Indeed.

Good Christian fiction creates a cognitive atmosphere that makes everyone feel like they belong no matter how different.

the Shack is one of those books to me.

Upvote 0

rhomphaeam

Robert Chisholm
Jul 13, 2021
England
Visit site
✟8,921.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There can be such thing as theological fiction. What about the Pilgrim's Progress?

A sister who had a greater faith than almost anyone I ever met once gave me a copy of The Pilgrims Progress. As I was visiting her church to preach and she was cooking the food and making the bed and holding the fort I thought that I at least ought to read the book. It was only after perhaps 40 pages that I took the trouble to see when it was published. To my astonishment I saw that it was a mid 19th century revision for children in English Schools. The language was beyond doubt so exacting and so full that there is no possibility that any child could have been misdirected or mistaken about what Bunyan intended by his book. Fiction in any meaning is just fine - as long as the author doesn't get to also claim that he intended no false meaning when his book speaks of no true direction other than an idea.

"The reason why the Christians in this day are at such a loss as to some things is that they are contented with what comes from man's mouth, without searching and kneeling before God to know of Him the truth of things." John Bunyan

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
This line from the film adaptation of The Shack answers the question of what’s the purpose of prayer if God foreknows everything that comes to pass anyway:

But if you're real... then you already know everything I'm gonna say before I even say it, right?
Yes, but We choose to listen to everything you have to say as if it was for the first time.
Shack, The (2017) - Easter/Spiritual Transcripts - Forever Dreaming

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This quote from Wm. Paul Young's The Shack is often interpreted as promoting universalism, but I find it can be used as an illustration of God's irresistible grace:

If you are among God's elect, then He will travel any road, among any nation and tribe, to call you unto Himself. Rather than forcing you, kicking and screaming, into heaven, God's irresistible grace transforms your will and desires, so that you joyfully march on as a child of the Lord.

Revelation 5:9
And they sang a new song, saying,
“Worthy are you to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
for you were slain, and by your blood you ransomed people for God
from every tribe and language and people and nation.”

This is from the 1689 London Baptist Confession, which was adapted from the Westminster Confession:

God can save whoever He pleases, even those who never hear the Gospel, "who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word."

The Shack's story of an Indian princess who gives up her life to save her people can also be interpreted as supporting the doctrine of limited atonement.
Matthew 1:21, Luke 1:68, John 10:11, John 15:13

When reading a work of fiction, it can be interpreted in various ways, regardless of the author's own beliefs. This section of the Shack wonderfully illustrates the Reformed doctrine of salvation by faith alone through grace alone:

According to Martin Luther and John Calvin, the true purpose of the law is to serve as a mirror of our own sinfulness, so that we will be convicted of our need for a savior. Anything we do out of obedience to the law is in gratitude for, rather than a condition of, our salvation.

This line from the film adaptation of The Shack answers the question of what’s the purpose of prayer if God foreknows everything that comes to pass anyway:

A lot of the backlash that The Shack received may have been due to sexism and racism. If God can appear as a dove, an angel, a burning bush, pillars of cloud and fire, a baby in a manger, etc., then He can appear as a black woman if He so chooses. Psalm 115:3, Psalm 135:6
God The Father wants nothing but goodness and mercy to follow His children. When we get out of line, we are corrected.

Nice post here.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,281.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
It's a work of fiction. The point is to challenge your preconceptions of what God can do.
Considering none of us can even comprehend what God may be or look like, we are stuck wit envisioning Him in our own terms based on what we perceive in this creation. So it wouldn't matter what we use to represent Him. None will be right and all are a product of His creation (so at least that part is right)

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
This line from the movie agrees with Calvinism that everything which comes to pass, good and evil, is for God’s ultimate glory, whether we understand it or not:

As difficult as it is for you to accept, I'm in the middle of everything you perceive to be a mess, workin' for your good.
That's what I do.
How can you say that?
After all the pain and suffering in the world, what possible good comes from a little girl being murdered by a sick monster?
See, you may not cause those things, but you certainly don't stop 'em.
Mackenzie, you're trying to make sense of your world based on a very incomplete picture.
It's like looking through the knothole of your pain.
The real underlying flaw in your life is that you don't think that I'm good.
I am!
And if you knew me and how much I love you, then even when you don't understand, you could know that I am at work in your life for good.
And then you would trust me.
https://transcripts.thedealr.net/script.php/the-shack-2017-C3Gw

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Probably the clearest illustration for Calvinism in the Shack is its story of the Indian princess.

Just as the Indian princess gave up her life for her tribe, and not for everyone living in the world, Jesus gave up His life for God's elect.
Matthew 1:21, Luke 1:68, John 10:11, John 15:13

Upvote 0

Humble_Disciple

May 17, 2021
Northwest
✟39,150.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Divorced
Based on reading the Bible, after praying for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I am no longer a Calvinist:

Jeremiah 18: Romans 9 De-Calvinized
https://www.christianforums.com/threads/jeremiah-18-romans-9-de-calvinized.8217798/
John Calvin: Not a Calvinist
https://www.christianforums.com/threads/jeremiah-18-romans-9-de-calvinized.8217798/
My intent on this forum has not been to convince others that Calvinism is true, but only that they should be more tolerant of Calvinists, especially since some of history's greatest missionaries and evangelists have been Calvinists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rhomphaeam

Robert Chisholm
Jul 13, 2021
England
Visit site
✟8,921.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Based on reading the Bible, after praying for the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I am no longer a Calvinist:

Jeremiah 18: Romans 9 De-Calvinized
John Calvin: Not a Calvinist
My intent on this forum has not been to convince others that Calvinism is true, but only that they should be more tolerant of Calvinists, especially since some of history's greatest missionaries and evangelists have been Calvinists.

A Calvinist community and a Sovereign God. As to believers being more tolerant of Calvinists - they should fill up their intentions and let God be the judge. Holiness and godliness will never come out of persuasion.

Upvote 0