Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
In my view Calvinism is a theological system that it can be easy to substitute for faith
What a critique without having read all of what Calvinism teaches.
I am sure there are many genuine christians who are also Calvinist, but why can one just become a christian reading the Gospels?
For the record Calvin did not name it Calvinism.His opponents did.Calvin is teaching the Doctrines of Grace.
I think people misunderstand Calvinism present it wrongly quite often. I don't want to criticise it much not having read a lot of it. But I do think there is a difference between having an understanding of Calvin, and of Calvinism learnt by the 'five points'. I have sat under the preaching of the five points - it hasn't helped me - I can't believe when its presented like that - I go into it too much. I just don't think a set of theological abstractions, and proof texts is the way the Gospel should be presented.
I agree with you,and I am sad to hear of this type of teaching.I would like to suggest a couple of resources that would benefit you in understanding Calvinism correctly.Visit whitehorseinn.org which is a excellent site of information.
I just think it was providential happening with the snow, he only went into the church for shelter. A combination then of providence and the Holy Spirit once he got in.
If that was the case then why would he not which to another belief system?
This is another link, which has a bit more detail

http://www.preceptaustin.org/c_h_spurgeon's_testimony.htm

But he didn't hear Calvinism preached in his conversion, you'll note. it was a unlearned shoemaker or someone of that sort who preached. Calvin was highly learned, and he wrote in the manner for other very learned. He's not for everyone IMO.
Because how one hears the Pure Gospel of Christ does not matter.He heard it and believed!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,224.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I wanted to read Calvin without having to embrace it as a complete system, but his systematizing entails that. You end up having to go with him, like or not, before you know if he is right, and its clear that there are different views out there expecially on Romans 9-11. I don't want to read something that prevents me get the Apostle's true meaning!

Upvote 0