Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Genesis 4:26 the scriptures state that at the time of Seth's birth, people began to call upon the name of the Lord. That was the first form of prayer, prayer at it's most basic and pure form. Simply calling on the name of God.

So in ancient times, a person's name was way more than just a means by which to identify one person from the other. A person's name revealed their character and conduct. Jacob was named such as a deceiver, but after wrestling with God he was renamed as Israel. Abram became Abraham. Etc, we get the point.

Well the point of this thread is to open up the discussion to the community.

Here is what I'm looking for:
  1. What are some names of God?
  2. How does that specific name relate to us now?
  3. How can we pray to the Lord in the relation to the name?

This is meant to be edifying and encouraging to our prayer lives. So please don't take this too seriously so as to become engaged in controversy here. Share a name of God you know from scriptures and what it means. Perhaps share a specific story in scripture that connects the name to God's character and how you believe you, I, and others can pray that name back to God for His blessing! By all means, you can use a name someone else has used as well.

I'll start:

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the foremost of God's revealed names is probably the most obvious one in scripture. It's the name above all names!

Jesus, or Yahshua. Form is not super important I don't think, we know who we are referencing.

Jesus was so named for He would save His people from their sins! Matthew 1:21

The scriptures say that whosoever calls upon the name of the Lord will be saved! Romans 10:13

Jesus saves! We pray to Him as our salvation from sins and from death! In Him alone is found freedom from sin and the stress of life! He said, "In Me you will have peace. In the world you will have tribulation." This is why we pray to Him and look to Him in the midst of suffering (Hebrews 12:1-3) Jesus is our Shepherd (Psalm 23) and those who abide in Him will know the overwhelming peace of God that frees and saves us from this life!

Cry out to Jesus. He rejects no one who comes to Him in faith! John 6:37 He is mighty to save! Zeph 3:17

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0