✟7,621.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello All;
Have a question on why we call our Priest Father, I am a old man and feel uncomfortable calling someone 30+ Father, I see no where in Bible that states we are to call our spiritual leader Father, alto the word means Teacher, but that refer to Bishop, Deacons. The apostle's use the term as being there Father, and there Children in letters to the different Church's, but I see no where they explain that they should be referred to as Father. I would applicate some input to this question.

In God the Father
Joseph 651

karen freeinchristman

More of You and less of me, Lord!
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2004
North west of England
✟62,407.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
IMO there are better ways to mark humility amongst both the laity and the clergy.

I don't like the use of the word 'Father' for clergy. It is too confusing and borders on unhealthy. That's my view.

Upvote 0

PaladinValer

Traditional Orthodox Anglican
Apr 7, 2004
Myrtle Beach, SC
✟30,305.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, it might be uncomfortable for you, seeing as you'd be Mother ;)

I personally don't see it confusing. The very term is absurdly ancient, although those clergy who do not like being referred to as either Father or Mother should not be addressed as such.

Either way, it never changes the function, role, authority, or imputed grace and character of the priest in question :)

Upvote 0

Colabomb

I seek sin like a moth towards flame, save me God.
Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
✟19,125.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Depends on context and comfort. I have no issue referring to my priest as father. However if someone would insist on the use of such terminology, I feel they are not worthy of such respect and would cease.

Upvote 0

CatholicAtHeart

Discerning Catholic
Sep 2, 2010
UK
✟15,804.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
UK-Conservative
It is because he is perceived as the head of his flock. He baptised many of them and serves the sacrament. As such, he must be at least 25 in Catholicism and 30 in Orthodox faiths. Protestants have differing views about the role of the priest in worship so they don't use the title.
+Cam

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monsignor

Dec 13, 2010
✟7,616.00
Faith
Celtic Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello All;
Have a question on why we call our Priest Father, I am a old man and feel uncomfortable calling someone 30+ Father, I see no where in Bible that states we are to call our spiritual leader Father, alto the word means Teacher, but that refer to Bishop, Deacons. The apostle's use the term as being there Father, and there Children in letters to the different Church's, but I see no where they explain that they should be referred to as Father. I would applicate some input to this question.

In God the Father
Joseph 651

Joseph,

If you will get a good concordance you will see many places where Jesus and Paul referred to the spiritual leaders as fathers. Jesus spoke of the Fathers who sit at the city gates, the patriarchs of the OT were also referred to as fathers. He also gave the warning against those who demand titles because they thought they deserved them.

The main reason we are referred to as Father is because we are the Spiritual Fathers of our flock that we tend. We give advice like a father does. We protect like a father does. We represent our "children" like a father does. We are truly a father to our children of our parish if we take our vocation seriously. We are "Persona Christi" and share in the ministry of Jesus and share His authority. Do you have a problem with calling God, Father? If so, then perhaps you may have to do as I did and look inside myself to see why....

May the Lord Bless you,
Father Michael

Upvote 0
E

Episcoboi

Is a female priest called "mother"? Is a female priest a "priestess", or has it become a title like actor representing both genders?

It's funny, but my bishop calls my priest "father," even though she is a woman. I don't think my priest is comfortable being called "mother" so, while it is not super proper and may sound a little unwieldly and wrong to some, we usually call her Reverend Barbara. She says, "Oh, just call me Barbara." I just can't do it though.

Upvote 0
E

Episcoboi

And that is why anyone with any sense can see that women are not to ordained as priests. Women can not be a father. Jesus told the apostles that they were to be fathers to the believers, women can't do that.

That's why most aren't called "father." Because they aren't. They are "mothers" to the believers and so some are called mothers. Some are called other titles...

Upvote 0

Adam Warlock

Feb 7, 2011
✟14,279.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
That's why most aren't called "father." Because they aren't. They are "mothers" to the believers and so some are called mothers. Some are called other titles...
Calling them "father" would just feel really forced to me. :D Of course, I recently met a Catholic monk/priest who called himself Fr. Mary Joseph, and he was accompanied (no joke) by a Sister Joseph Mary. Yeah, I messed their names up several times. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
E

Episcoboi

Calling them "father" would just feel really forced to me. :D Of course, I recently met a Catholic monk/priest who called himself Fr. Mary Joseph, and he was accompanied (no joke) by a Sister Joseph Mary. Yeah, I messed their names up several times. :D

LOL...I think the "calling a female priest 'Father'" thing is just a quirk of my Bishop. Just something he does, like ending all of his homilies the same way. After each homily he says something to the effect of, "In God our Father, in whom we live and move and have our being." He's an interesting man.

Upvote 0

Padre_Eddie

Jun 26, 2011
North Carolina
✟15,166.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is something we have in our Church. It was edited by me, written by a friend of mine who is an Orthodox Bishop.

Recently, in a conversation with someone who attends a "non-denominational" church, the question was asked: "Why are priests called 'Father' in your Church? This is not what the Bible teaches! Doesn't Jesus Himself say, 'Call no man on earth your father, for you have one Father who is in heaven.' (Matthew 23:9)."

This is simply another example of what can only be called the "fundamentalist gridlock" of some Christian groups in understanding and interpreting the Scriptures: the taking of this or that biblical passage out of context and applying it to whatever you want. St. Athanasios, the 4th century patriarch of Alexandria in Egypt, was the first person in Christian history to definitively list those 27 books that we today call the New Testament. A pivotal person in the formation of the New Testament canon, St. Athanasios says that when Christians read the Bible, they are not to take passages out of context but rather to keep the "skopos", the scope or "big picture" in mind. Let's examine this question keeping the full scope - or "big picture" - of the Scriptures in mind.

First: the question asked seems to presuppose that this passage of Scripture should be taken literally as an absolute prohibition i.e., that we should call no man father. In other words, if we were to interpret Matthew 23:9 literally, no one could be called father, not even our biological fathers. Christians could not, for example, celebrate Father’s Day. Nor could George Washington be called "the father of our country." Is this what Jesus intended? Of course not! Doesn't Jesus Himself tell the rich young man to "keep the commandments" including the one to "honor your father and mother" (Matthew 19:19)? And when the Jews questioned Jesus about His teaching that He is "the bread of life," doesn't He respond to them by saying: “I am the bread of life. Your fathers (i.e. the ancestors of the Jewish people who took part in the Exodus from Egypt with Moses and are therefore called the "fathers" of Israel) ate the manna in the wilderness and they died" (John 6:48-49)?

Second: What would we do with the apostle Paul? When St. Paul discusses the Exodus, doesn't he - like Christ Himself - refer to the ancestors of the Israel of his day as "our fathers" (1 Corinthians 10:1)? When discussing discipline in the Christian family, doesn't he say "Fathers, do not provoke your children or they may lose heart" (Colossians 3:21).

Furthermore, with regards to spiritual fatherhood in the Christian community, to the Church in Corinth he wrote: "I do not write this to make you ashamed but to admonish you as my beloved children. For though you might have 10,000 guardians in Christ, you do not have many fathers. Indeed, in Christ Jesus I became your father through the Gospel" (1 Corinthians 4:14-15). And he describes his relationship with the Christians of the Church in Thessalonica as being "like a father with his children" (1 Thessalonians 2:11). Doesn't St. Paul, in the above passages, claim to be the spiritual father of the Corinthian and Thessalonian Churches, their father in the Gospel - Father Paul, if you will?

Third: When interpreting Matthew 23:9, it would be helpful to read the entire 23rd chapter of Matthew in order to get a proper understanding of the context of this passage. This 23rd chapter of Matthew contains the Lord's indictment of the scribes and Pharisees for their hypocrisy, their focus on the externals of religion without genuine repentance and a corresponding conversion of heart. So, not only does Jesus condemn the scribes and Pharisees for their use of the address "Father" in a vain and empty way, but in the very next verse says: "Nor are you to be called teachers, for you have one teacher, the Christ" (Matthew 23:10). Yet, many contemporary non-denominational TV preachers describe themselves as "Bible teachers" and no one has ever argued that the Church should not have Sunday school teachers on the basis of this passage. Indeed, Jesus Himself acknowledged Nicodemus to be a "teacher of Israel" (John 3:10) and in the Book of Acts we read that certain men in Antioch were called "teachers" (Acts 13:1), to give only two examples. Therefore, as can be clearly understood when one reads the 23rd chapter of Matthew in its entirety, Jesus takes issue not with these titles and roles in and of themselves, but rather with their self-aggrandizing abuse by the scribes and Pharisees.

Fourth: The term "father" when used to address a priest is not merely an assertion of his "higher" status in the community of believers; rather, it is a term of endearment, of intimacy and love, as the apostle Paul uses it in 1 Corinthians and 1 Thessalonians, already mentioned above. In Greek, a priest in his village is addressed as "Papa" and in Russian as "Batiushka" - both being terms of endearment and intimacy. The spiritual fatherhood of the priest is intended to be a sign of the depth of intimacy and relationship which those in the life of the Church have with their leaders, a relationship based on the priest's role in our second birth, our birth in the Gospel - our baptism. Just as our biological father has an important role in our birth and continuing nurture, so the priest - as the one who baptizes us - has an important role in our second birth, our birth "from above…of water and the Spirit" (John 3:3-5).

Finally: This kind of attempt to interpret the Scriptures literally and then apply a passage taken out of context in a polemical way, usually towards Roman Catholics - but by extension often towards us as Orthodox Christians as well - is, unfortunately, all too typical of much "non-denominational" Christianity. At best, it is a misreading and misunderstanding of the Scriptures; at worst, it can be an expression of religious bigotry. Nonetheless, it remains a simple fact that the overwhelming majority of Christians in the world today (Orthodox, Roman Catholics, Anglicans, etc.) - and across the 20 centuries of Church history - have addressed and continue to address their clergy as 'Father." If anyone wishes to be contentious about this, we have no other practice - nor do the churches of God. - 1 Corinthians 11:16

Reactions: Abdulmasih
Upvote 0

FuegoPentecostes

Apr 26, 2012
Connecticut
✟15,505.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Matthew 23:9 is condemning referring to any man as "father" in a spiritual sense. Calling a priest "father" and the pope "the holy father" is so unBiblical that it's not even funny.
To the poster just before me who stated "Doesn't St. Paul, in the above passages, claim to be the spiritual father of the Corinthian and Thessalonian Churches, their father in the Gospel - Father Paul, if you will", if you think it's wrong to take a verse out of context, it should be even worse to ASSUME things about the Word. NO where does Paul command them to call him father or even hint that they should. You are simply assuming things, and that's very dangerous. Paul has referred to himself as "the chief of sinners". He cried out "Who will deliver me from this body of death?" I don't think he even saw himself as a spiritual father as you are thinking.

I feel this is so plainly biblical that I don't even want to waste my time thinking of my own response to it. I like gotquestions.org's take on the subject. You'll read this if you're actually interested in what the Bible says and not just what the Catholic/Anglican Church has taught you:

The context of Matthew 23:9 tells us that referring to your biological father as “father” is not what Jesus is speaking about.

In Matthew 23:1-12, Jesus is denouncing the Jewish scribes and Pharisees for rejecting Him as their Messiah, in particular for their hypocrisy in elevating themselves above others with titles such as “teacher” and “master.” The Jewish teachers affected that title because they supposed that a teacher formed the man, or gave him real life, and they sought, therefore, to be called “father,” as if they were the source of truth rather than God. Christ taught them that the source of all life and truth was God, and they ought not to seek or receive a title which properly belongs to Him.

This denunciation is equally relevant for today. In no way should any person look up to, follow, or elevate a human leader in any religious or church organization above Jesus Christ. Jesus is the Head of the Church, His body, and our one and only Master and Teacher. He alone is the author of our salvation, source of comfort in difficulties and strength to live the Christian life, and the only One to whom our prayers should be directed.

Roman Catholics call their priests “father” and the pope is called “the holy father.” This is clearly unbiblical. The priest as “father” is problematic. Catholic priests are doing precisely what Matthew 23:9 condemns by allowing the term “father” in a spiritual sense be applied to them. In no sense is a priest or pastor a “spiritual father” to a Christian. Only God can cause a person to receive “spiritual birth,” therefore, only God is worthy of the title of “Father” in a spiritual sense.

In the case of the “holy father,” there is no doubt this is decidedly unbiblical. No man can take on the title of “holy” anything, because only God is holy. This title gives the pope a status that is never intended for any man on earth. Even the Apostle Paul referred to himself as the chief of sinners (1 Timothy 1:15) and cried out “Who will deliver me from this body of death?” (Romans 7:14). Clearly, Paul made no claim to holiness. Although as Christians we have exchanged our sin for the righteousness of Christ (2 Corinthians 5:21), holiness will not be attained until we are in heaven and have left the last vestiges of our sin natures behind. Until then, the pope has no more holiness than the average Christian and is not entitled to be called “holy father.”

But there is no reason not to call our earthly parents “father” and “mother” because in doing so we are not giving them an elevated title or position that belongs to God. Our earthly parents are worthy of honor, not just on one special day of the year (Father’s Day, Mother’s Day), but we are to honor our parents daily in the spirit of Exodus 20:12, Matthew 15:4, and Ephesians 6:1-3.

"

Upvote 0

Adam Warlock

Feb 7, 2011
✟14,279.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Just so you'll know, this is actually our "chapel" section and not a debate section. It's for more spiritually-themed discussions. But we do not see anything wrong with calling our priests "father," and we believe it is right and appropriate to do so. You clearly are very passionate about the Bible, and that is a good thing. We read it too. No need to assume that we don't. :)

Upvote 0