Calling All Charismatic Catholics. Please Report!!!!!

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never been to a Catholic Charismatic ...

You will never know if you like it or not unless you visit one of their prayer meetings. It is not for everyone, that is for sure. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
P

Peaceful Dove

You will never know if you like it or not unless you visit one of their prayer meetings. It is not for everyone, that is for sure. :)

In fact we usually advise folks to come for at least 5 or 6 times to see if they are going to like it. Some folks who are not use to spontaneous prayer or allowing themselves to worship with their bodies as well as their soul and spirit find things slighly strange. Catholics, especially tend to be sort of inhibited that way.

Upvote 0

xTx

Aug 10, 2010
✟11,241.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Originally Posted by JacktheCatholic
You will never know if you like it or not unless you visit one of their prayer meetings. It is not for everyone, that is for sure.
smile.gif

Peaceful Dove
user_online.gif
In fact we usually advise folks to come for at least 5 or 6 times to see if they are going to like it. Some folks who are not use to spontaneous prayer or allowing themselves to worship with their bodies as well as their soul and spirit find things slighly strange. Catholics, especially tend to be sort of inhibited that way.

I saw people Praying in Tongues for the first time in a Christian church.

Everybody I asked says it is from the Holy Spirit.

I came across Speaking in Tongues in Acts 2:7-8 "In amazement and wonder they exclaimed! These people who are talking like this are Galileans! How is it then, that all of us hear them speaking in our own native languages?"

What I saw in the Christian Church was not native languages. It was quite terrifying and unsettling. I felt uncomfortable. Very disturbed. Needless to say, I was silently suffering while everybody was Speaking In Tongues.

Can't remember when I started to do so but I do break out in prayer in understandable language sometimes. The prayers just suddenly spurts. When this happens, I feel great peace.

I am not a member of any church.

Jack and Dove, thank you for the invitation to experience the Charismatic Catholic Renewal,
I think I will pass. Sorry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

I saw people Praying in Tongues for the first time in a Christian church.​

Everybody I asked says it is from the Holy Spirit.​

I came across Speaking in Tongues in Acts 2:7-8 "In amazement and wonder they exclaimed! These people who are talking like this are Galileans! How is it then, that all of us hear them speaking in our own native languages?"​

What I saw in the Christian Church was not native languages. It was quite terrifying and unsettling. I felt uncomfortable. Very disturbed. Needless to say, I was silently suffering while everybody was Speaking In Tongues.​

Can't remember when I started to do so but I do break out in prayer in understandable language sometimes. The prayers just suddenly spurts. When this happens, I feel great peace.​

I am not a member of any church.​

Jack and Dove, thank you for the invitation to experience the Charismatic Catholic Renewal,
I think I will pass. Sorry.​

Thanks for visiting here. Know that you are always welcome.
Everything in its season. Be blessed. Love you.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
:wave:Not charismatic myself, but I have charistmatic friends and can see God working through the renewal..
Hi Monica :wave:

I'm interested in why you say you are not charismatic. I belong to a non-denominational charismatic church, I'm an ex-Catholic, and while we claim to be charismatic, and believe we are, we don't speak in tongues during service and don't do alot of the things that alot of people think charismatics engage in. Yes we believe that all the gifts of the Spirit listed in 1 Cor. 12 are available to all and for today but we also believe in order and that the gifts should not be forced or abused.

What I'm basically getting at is, just because you have never spoke in tongues or felt that you have never experienced a gift of the Spirit listed in 1 Cor, 12 doesn't necessarily mean you aren't charismatic. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟48,052.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
:wave:Hi Nephilimiyr, the reason I said I'm not charismatic is because I don't speak/pray in tongues nor do I have the other charismatic gifts, as far as I know... how would you define charismatic?

God bless
I just don't think that actually speaking or praying in tongues is a prerequisite for considering oneself a charismatic. To me the main thing is that you have to believe the gifts are real and come from God. For our time today I also think you need to believe that the Holy Spirit is active in giving these gifts out to all who ask sincerely. The gifts are not for the elite but for all who believe and ask.

Many Charismatics don't pray in tongues at all but might have other gifts of the Spirits like teaching, prophecy, etc., etc. And I would even go as far as to say that many of us don't have or practice any of the gifts. I could be wrong but I think the Catholic charismatics are much like the rest of us who call ourselves charismatics.

Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

I just don't think that actually speaking or praying in tongues is a prerequisite for considering oneself a charismatic. To me the main thing is that you have to believe the gifts are real and come from God. For our time today I also think you need to believe that the Holy Spirit is active in giving these gifts out to all who ask sincerely. The gifts are not for the elite but for all who believe and ask.

Many Charismatics don't pray in tongues at all but might have other gifts of the Spirits like teaching, prophecy, etc., etc. And I would even go as far as to say that many of us don't have or practice any of the gifts. I could be wrong but I think the Catholic charismatics are much like the rest of us who call ourselves charismatics.

Excellent points Neph. Good to see you, brother.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2010
✟8,175.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I do believe that there are a lot of Charismatic Catholics in the Secular Franciscan fraternities. I have one more orientation before I am officially welcomed as an inquirer. If there are "tongues," I have yet to see them used during a Mass. I am of the type that I would rather "tongues" be held in private prayer than at a group prayers, so as to eliminate any possibility of abuse. However, if the Spirit is led, it must be functional; if there are tongues in a group prayer, it should be interpreted; if there are foreigners present and tongues are used to where they understand what is spoken, even if the rest of the English speaking group does not... it is a move of the Spirit no doubt since it reflects what happened on Pentacost.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2010
✟8,175.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I grew up Assembly of God, then became Lutheran--> was going to continue in Lutheranism but moved to a town with no Lutheran and only Episcopalian--> left the ECUSA when I found out about NH bishop being elected despite his open homosexual lifestyle joined Southern Baptist briefly--> missed the sacraments investigated Catholicism. If there is anything I would need regarding teaching on tongues, a Charismatic Catholic position that differs from the Assembly of God churches is a welcome proposition.

Upvote 0