Visit site
✟1,357,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yesterday, I was talking with a fellow (female) blogger about something I had read on “Christian Forums.” Someone on here had inquired about something called “ASMR,” wondering if it was bad for Christians. Since I had never heard of “ASMR,” I googled it to find out what it is. And, it turned out that it has something to do with YouTube videos where some people record various sounds, and then other people listen to the sounds. See (1) below.

On a surface level, it appears to be fairly innocuous, but there is the possibility of a darker side to it. As with pretty much most things, what may be innocent or harmless can be turned into something not innocent. For, sounds can be good, and they can be bad. Sounds can be harmless or they can be seductive, enticing, hypnotic, and mind-controlling (brain washing).

What this brought to my mind is something I studied in high school and/or in college. We had to study Greek Mythology, and I remembered reading about mythological creatures called “Sirens,” who lured sailors to their death by a seductive and enticing sound or a song. So, as with anything, we have to be discerning about these things or we could be seduced into something which could be harmful to us spiritually, if we are not careful and prayerful.

Well, at the same time I was having this (private) conversation with this fellow blogger, a sister in Christ, I was having another (public) conversation on the blog “Run With It” with another blogger who is a brother in Christ. He was responding to the blog post titled “Overcoming Evil.”

Evilimages.jpg
That writing, led by the Holy Spirit of God, was spawned by evil images the Lord allowed me to see in our fireplace, in the fire. For, the lesson was on the subject of overcoming evil, and to overcome it, we need to first identify it. Well, that is what this conversation with my blogger friend was about.

He said, “Fire is to warm and cleanse. People come to fires to warm them and also to cleanse, but they’re unaware of the wolves inside the fire. Because God is a consuming fire but people don’t understand a God Fire from a strange fire. So people are turning to strange fires full of wolves but think they’re being taken care of and being cleansed.” (Ref: Matt. 3:11-12)

He said he was thinking about this during his church service. So, in questioning him on what the Bible lesson was about, I learned that the passage of scripture was John 10, where it definitely talks about this very thing, both the idea of “Sirens” which seduce by sound/singing, and both the idea of “strange fire” which is inviting, but which burns, not heals.

Flee from Them!
John 10:1-6 ESV

“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber. But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the gatekeeper opens. The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes before them, and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.” This figure of speech Jesus used with them, but they did not understand what he was saying to them.

As we read further on in this passage of scripture, we learn that Jesus Christ, the Good Shepherd of the sheep (spiritually speaking), is the Door into this sheepfold, as well as he is the Shepherd of the sheep. And, by “door” is meant “the only way” into relationship with Almighty God and into his body, his church. Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life and no one comes to the Father except by (or through) him (John 14:6).

But, there are “other ways” which are being taught as the “true way,” but they are lies of our enemy Satan, for these “other ways” are of these thieves and robbers who have entered into the gatherings of the sheep (the church) by a way other than through Jesus Christ, the ONLY WAY to God. BUT, and we need to get this here, they disguise themselves as the true way, and so they are deceiving many people into following a lie disguised as the truth.

And, this goes back to these examples with the sounds and with the fire. Listening to music or just to sounds seems harmless, but not all is harmless. It looks good on the outside, but when you get inside there may be wolves lurking waiting to trap you into something much more sinister. And, that is the image with the fire, too, for it is inviting with its warmth, but inside may dwell all these evil creatures who are there lying in wait to trap you, too.

But, It Looks Good

So, just because, on a surface level, it looks good, it is inviting, it feels good, and it warms you or tingles you, it doesn’t mean it is good or that it is the “real deal.” And, we aren’t talking here just about sounds or fires, but we are talking about deception and mind manipulation and subtle and subliminal messages which seem good, but which are of Satan, and which are intended to cause you harm (spiritually) and to draw you away from Christ.

They are like a cheap substitute for the real thing. But, appearances can be deceiving. And, this is where we must be in the Word of God daily, drinking in his truths, and then doing what the Word teaches us we must do. We must be walking (living, conducting our lives) according to the Spirit of God and not according to our flesh (Romans 8) if we are going to be discerning at all of these evils (these wolves) in the Holy Spirit fire.

For, we read in Romans 8 that being “in Christ” means death to sin and living to righteousness. It means walking (living) according to the Spirit and not according to our sinful flesh. But, these “strangers,” i.e. these thieves and liars are saying that “in Christ” is produced by a mere profession of faith in Jesus Christ, or by some words repeated after someone else. And, according to them, no death to sin or living to righteousness is required.

So, the point of all of this is that, as followers of Christ, we need to be followers of Christ and not of men in their deceitful scheming. And, the only way that we are going to discern these “wolves in the fire” is if we are walking in obedience to our Lord, listening to what He says, and doing what He says. And, we have to daily be resisting Satan, fleeing temptation, putting off the deeds of the flesh, and putting on the armor of God.

Then, we will be able to discern what is good vs. what is evil. Then, we will be able to see the “evil images in the fire,” and we will be able to discern good sounds from those which are hypnotic and mind-controlling. And, we will be able to discern the truths of God’s Holy Word vs. these lies of the enemy disguised as truth. For, they do teach the scriptures, too, but out of context. And, they ignore the bulk of teaching in the Bible regarding our salvation and eternal life with God, too.

Don’t Be Taken In

So, don’t be taken in by the lies. Don’t be following after “strangers” while ignoring the voice of the only True Shepherd. Don’t let “thieves and robbers” steal away your joy in the Lord, or your eternal life with God, or God’s holiness and righteousness. Know the truth that will set you free from your addiction to sin, and then live that truth. And, don’t buy into the lies which tell you that you can keep on living in sin and still go to heaven.

Seek the Lord, not all these other things or messages which tickle your itching ears and which make you tingle inside. Remember, just because it looks good or feels good doesn’t mean it is good. Check out what is “under the hood.” Don’t take the “salesperson’s” word for it. Know what is making this “vehicle” run before you “buy” into it.

Study God’s Word so that you know what it teaches instead of taking other people’s words for what it says. But study it in context, for many false doctrines come from scriptures taken out of context to make them say what the “strangers” want them to say, in order to deceive naïve minds.

Seek the Lord

An Original Work / July 20, 2012
Based off Isaiah 55

“Come to Me all you who thirst; come to waters.
Listen to Me, and eat what’s good today,
And your soul will delight in richest of fare.
Give ear to Me, and you will live.
I have made an eternal covenant with you.
Wash in the blood of the Lamb.”

Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him.
Let the wicked forsake his way, in truth.
Let him turn to the Lord, and he will receive mercy.
Freely, God pardons him.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,”
declares the Lord, our God.

“My word that goes out of My mouth is truthful.
It will not return to Me unfulfilled.
My word will accomplish all that I desire,
And achieve the goal I intend.
You will go in joy, and be led forth in peace.
The mountains will burst into song… before you,
And all of the trees clap their hands.”

(1) ASMR: “A feeling of well-being combined with a tingling sensation in the scalp and down the back of the neck, as experienced by some people in response to a specific gentle stimulus, often a particular sound.” "ASMR is triggered by things like whispering voices, paper tearing, and scalp massage" (Source: Google Dictionary)

Reactions: Heavenhome