Burr steps down in coronavirus corruption investigation.

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
WASHINGTON – Sen. Richard Burr is stepping down as chairman of the Intelligence Committee as an FBI investigation into Burr's stock sales led to the seizure of his cellphone by federal investigators.

"The work the Intelligence Committee and its members do is too important to risk hindering in any way," Burr said in a statement released through his office. "I believe this step is necessary to allow the Committee to continue its essential work free of external distractions."

Burr informed Senate Majority Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., of his decision Thursday morning.

Alice Fisher, Burr's attorney, said the senator has been "actively cooperating with federal investigators.

"From the outset, Sen. Burr has been focused on an appropriate and thorough review of the facts in this matter, which will establish that his actions were appropriate," Fisher said.

A senior Justice Department official confirmed that Burr's phone had been seized as the agency probes stock sales that the GOP senator made ahead of the coronavirus market crash.

Burr steps down as Intel Committee chair, phone seized in FBI probe

• Informative
Reactions: dqhall

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟368,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Burr is just the first. There's a pack of these guys, including one democrat who seem to have used the advance news of the virus from Trump administration officials, at the same them they were publicly denying that it was going to be bad.

They all need a little time in stir.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,092,163.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Much as I believe that Senators should not engage in insider training, I would be horrified if he was replaced with another Republican Senator on the Intelligence Committee--Tom Cotton.

He is a disruptive hawk--not only in Iran, where he attempted to undermine President Obama's treaty, but now in China, where he's supporting conspiracy theories in China about what Cotton calls the "Wuhan virus."

He also has had disabled constituents seeking to speak to him in Congress carted off in their wheelchairs by the police and arrested (while I am more than 100% sure that he believes the armed agitators in Michigan are just "exercising their Constitutional rights.")

My friend, an immigration advocate, once went with a group of "dreamers" and stood holding signs in front of what turned to be his parents' house. There were police there, just watching, but the elder Cottons (who are reputed to have been Democrats) came out and talked to my friend. My friend described them as "embarrassed" at their son's callous disregard for these young adults who knew no other home than the U.S.

I am probably his parents' age, and I would probably be even more embarrassed to be his parent.

Upvote 0