Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I made a Vow to God that I would stop an addiction cold turkey. Wasn't only a Vow, but a Vow that included my blessing. I'm not sure what to do now. I have nothing going for me now.

Jesus basically said don't make vows.

So tell him as in 1john1:9 that you are sorry and that you would like forgiveness.
Then seek help to deal with what ever you are addicted to.

Either find and join an addiction group like alcohol anon, gamblers anon, cocaine anon etc etc etc or find someone who will act as your shepherd and you follow the aa12 point plan, daily reporting each day to your shepherd and meeting regularly for a time of Bible study and prayer.

Upvote 0

JacobVY

Sep 2, 2020
USA
✟9,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Jesus basically said don't make vows.

So tell him as in 1john1:9 that you are sorry and that you would like forgiveness.
Then seek help to deal with what ever you are addicted to.

Either find and join an addiction group like alcohol anon, gamblers anon, cocaine anon etc etc etc or find someone who will act as your shepherd and you follow the aa12 point plan, daily reporting each day to your shepherd and meeting regularly for a time of Bible study and prayer.
I wish I knew that before making the vow. I learned that a couple days after making the vow.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I made a Vow to God that I would stop an addiction cold turkey. Wasn't only a Vow, but a Vow that included my blessing / anointment. I'm not sure what to do now. I have nothing going for me now.
Jesus said, "apart from me you can do nothing". Try to grasp a motive of love to stop what you're doing for someone else's sake.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could you elaborate please?
If your motive is love, you have an ability you would otherwise not have. Love for God accomplishes much. Love for others also has much power.

If your motive is self-serving only, it's hard to tap into those resources.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand how this would relate to my issue. Are you saying that I'm only thinking about myself?
No, I'm telling you, based on experience, how things work in the spiritual realm. How to break habits and succeed in your endeavors. If it bothers you, ask someone else.

Upvote 0

JacobVY

Sep 2, 2020
USA
✟9,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
No, I'm telling you, based on experience, how things work in the spiritual realm. How to break habits and succeed in your endeavors. If it bothers you, ask someone else.
It doesn't bother me at all. I'm just confused, I truly just don't understand what you are trying to say. How does thing work in the spiritual realm? How does this relate to the title of this forum.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't bother me at all. I'm just confused, I truly just don't understand what you are trying to say. How does thing work in the spiritual realm? How does this relate to the title of this forum.
It depends on your motive..... Whatever is not of faith is sin, even if it is good in itself. Faith works by love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacobVY

Sep 2, 2020
USA
✟9,938.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
It depends on your motive..... Whatever is not of faith is sin, even if it is good in itself. Faith works by love.
My motive. As in my intentions. When you say "it depends on my motive." What are you referring to? My motive / intentions of?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My motive. As in my intentions. When you say "it depends on my motive." What are you referring to? My motive / intentions of?
Only you know your motive. I'm only saying which motive works to defeat sin. see ya later...........

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I made a Vow to God that I would stop an addiction cold turkey. Wasn't only a Vow, but a Vow that included my blessing / anointment. I'm not sure what to do now. I have nothing going for me now.
Recieve His Holy Spirit. This is the only way to truly repent from sin. Our flesh driven efforts are futile. We have a loving and forgiving Father. Be blessed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,181.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How could I recieve the holy spirit?
Get on your knees and ask to be filled with His Holy Spirit. Then trust that He will guild you into righteousness for the rest of your life. Be blessed.

Upvote 0