Legend
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟23,913.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
THe realization that nothing will work untill they are personaly touched. Thus its not music and other fades like that you need to use. You need to use adoration, retreats, voltare programs. Do vocations trips to induce the kids to nuns and brothers. Have father explain mass to them.

Upvote 0

Epiphanygirl

Don't De-Rock Me
Oct 6, 2004
Behind you :)
✟11,873.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Aaron-Aggie said:
THe realization that nothing will work untill they are personaly touched. Thus its not music and other fades like that you need to use. You need to use adoration, retreats, voltare programs. Do vocations trips to induce the kids to nuns and brothers. Have father explain mass to them.
I agree, but as most children, especially young adults, who are not used to "learning Faith and Church teachings", it is better to mix it together, those who are apt and want to learn will want to learn even more! It is getting them in the right enviroment to begin with that is needed. Once they feel comfortable with the other kids, staff etc... they will want to come back!

Upvote 0

benedictine

No Surrender, No desertion - Whatever Happens.
Nov 1, 2003
a round blue, brown and green sphere, floating in
Visit site
✟5,307.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
You could perhaps try a Lock-in. Have the kids come to church, either eat dinner there(pizza?) or go out to eat, then come back. Then you could have a brief time of teaching, followed by prayer. Afterwards, give them some free time, to talk with their friends, or read or whatever. For younger groups you may want to set up a TV and VCR.

Don't forget to make them go to bed. At my church's last lock-in, there were a group of girls up at 3:30AM, making penut-butter, M&M, and whipped creme sandwiches.

Then, the next morning, you could have prayer, followed by Breakfast, and sending them home.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Maximus

Orthodox Christian
Jun 24, 2003
✟7,903.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I don't really have any suggestions for youth activities. There are plenty of sources for those. What I would suggest is that the Church not attempt to alter its worship or message for anyone but instead hold to the timeless truth of the Gospel.

I believe young people (and all people) want to know what the truth is and that there is a place where they can go to find it.

That is the strength and the allure of the Catholic Church.

Reactions: AveMaria
Upvote 0
B

Brother Charlie

Althou I probably cannt speak for my generation, I really dont like it when people use gimmicks to make me do or learn something. People who really dont want to be a Christian shouldnt be forced. I like it when people tells me stuff up straight. I guarantee that more people would be interested in religion if we had interesting discussions like heaven, hell, damnation instead of doing stupid "Jesus loves me" games. Although it probably isnt a pretty subject to talk about, I think it is an excellent strategy to talk to youth about damnation, hell, demons, satan and demonic possesions a lot in order for them to really start thinking.

Reactions: Maximus
Upvote 0

Maggie893

It is what it is.
Sep 13, 2004
Maine
✟28,951.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Brother Charlie said:
Althou I probably cannt speak for my generation, I really dont like it when people use gimmicks to make me do or learn something. People who really dont want to be a Christian shouldnt be forced. I like it when people tells me stuff up straight. I guarantee that more people would be interested in religion if we had interesting discussions like heaven, hell, damnation instead of doing stupid "Jesus loves me" games. Although it probably isnt a pretty subject to talk about, I think it is an excellent strategy to talk to youth about damnation, hell, demons, satan and demonic possesions a lot in order for them to really start thinking.
I completely agree with this. I have a fairly successful youth group at my parish and I really spend very little time with games and social stuff. I use diocesan events for that. The kids I have want to talk about death, heaven and hell, sin, sex, the future, fear......stuff that they hear about at school. What's a Goth, is cutting a sin, how about masturbation....what if I hate going to confession.....real stuff. I often use things like the Incorruptibles, eucharistic miracles and saints like Padre Pio.....supernatural things to draw in those who are skeptical....once they are in though they really seem to prefer working out their theology of suffering, pain, happiness......how to pray...how to "feel" Jesus' presence....why do Protestants think they aren't Christian...how do they defend themselves.

With my Jr. High kids I spent a lot of time in the beginning showing them how much they didn't know about the Catholic Church and they haven't stopped asking questions since.

Honestly, most kids have a thousand options for social events but very few people who will take the time to teach and challenge them on faith and morals. I definitely feel that food is always a requirement;) and social time is necessary as are service projects....because they love to do things for others, but meat & potatoes is the depth of the Church for my group. Will you attract large numbers right off the bat....nope...but it will grow before you know it. Do I have all the youth from my parish involved....nope....unfortunately our catechesis in the younger years really bored many of the kids and once they didn't have to attend....back around 4th grade...most stopped and the parents can't get them back in. I keep working at that...but for those who start coming....youth ministry is a necessity to their life now.

I'll be praying for your group.:crossrc:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
Upvote 0

AveMaria

Anglo-Catholic Tat Queen
Aug 2, 2004
✟19,896.00
Faith
Anglican
Politics
US-Democrat
I hope no one minds if I make a suggestion. I've done a lot of work with young adult ministry, and I used to work for a non-profit agency that worked with high-risk adolescents, and one thing came to mind as I was reading this.

* 13-25 is a huge age range! I'd break that down into 2 or 3 smaller groups, depending upon what sort of activity or programming is planned. In fact, I've even had problems when the age range was 18-25.

I also wanted to agree with the suggestions of not watering down the Gospel - I truly to believe that honest, frank conversation about topics such as heaven, hell, sin, etc is something that more youth would be interested in, if they were only give the chance.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

Andromeda

Oct 18, 2004
✟192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Wow! I really appreciate all the feedback! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I'm not in a place to provide more details as this group isn't part of my regular church. They're at a stage where I've seen many other churches, trying to revive a lagging youth group after the parents have stopped forcing the children to go, and left with a few core members. I'm sure they will narrow the ages down to address the specific needs of certain age groups.

The discussion groups are a really great idea. I've experienced the danger with too many social events that if the focus is less on God and more with spending time with people your own age, it becomes a secondary YMCA. Sometimes youth groups can get too caught up in trying not to offend others or scare them away and it ends up losing sight of the purpose.

Upvote 0

Andromeda

Oct 18, 2004
✟192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Andromeda

Oct 18, 2004
✟192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Brother Charlie said:
I think you speak quite well for a large group of people. :D That's very true and a lot of what you said resonates with many young people, myself included (although referring to me as "young" is debatable :p ). You have a lot of valid points and I'll be sure to bring them to the table.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andromeda

Oct 18, 2004
✟192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maggie893 said:
I often use things like the Incorruptibles, eucharistic miracles and saints like Padre Pio.....supernatural things to draw in those who are skeptical....once they are in though they really seem to prefer working out their theology of suffering, pain, happiness......how to pray...how to "feel" Jesus' presence....why do Protestants think they aren't Christian...how do they defend themselves.

With my Jr. High kids I spent a lot of time in the beginning showing them how much they didn't know about the Catholic Church and they haven't stopped asking questions since.

I keep working at that...but for those who start coming....youth ministry is a necessity to their life now.

I'll be praying for your group.:crossrc:
It's very encouraging to hear that your groups are touching the lives of others and that the kids are growing in their faith.

Thank you so very much for your prayers! :wave:

Upvote 0

FullyMT

Veni Sancte Spiritus
Nov 14, 2003
Boston
Visit site
✟8,053.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
For the most part, that's (the bolded part) is correct for most teens. Eplanation of the Blessed Sacrament followed by adoration, and being personally touched during adoration, was where I made the decision that God wanted me to be a part of the Catholic Church (as He does with all people). Adoration and explaining the uniqueness of the Church because of the Real Presence will not only make them know they are part of something "different", but knowing that whenever somebody is in front of Jesus, they are different than before they were infront of Him.
btw, Aaron, did you actually mean to induce kids to nuns and brothers, or did you mean introduce? ;)

Upvote 0

Rising_Suns

'Christ's desolate heart is in need of comfort'
Jul 14, 2002
Saint Louis, MO
✟24,335.00
Faith
Catholic
FullyMT said:
Adoration and explaining the uniqueness of the Church because of the Real Presence will not only make them know they are part of something "different", but knowing that whenever somebody is in front of Jesus, they are different than before they were infront of Him.
Any youth ministry that is centered around Adoration or the Rosary will no doubt make a profound impact on souls.

There's a ministry based in Atlanta called "Spirit and Truth" which it is quickly sweeping through the country and drawing people to it. One would think that there is some hook to it, or some wild activity involved that would bring so many people from their houses. No.

It is merely Adoration, discussion, and dinner.

It's so simple, but that's the beauty of it. Any Church can begin this ministry without much effort. And it is balanced between worship, education, and socializing; something any great ministry should have.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.