Is Brian Maclaren a GOOD THING?

• Yes

• No

• Don't know enough about the guy.

• Can't decide.

Results are only viewable after voting.
E

EyesOnZion

This is a tough one. I think his early books were very helpful to the Christian community. He was a large voice expressing dissatisfaction for the status quo, a message that a lot of people needed to hear. I've been pleased with the way he and other "emergent" thinkers have been a catalyst for the church to reconsider their stances on environmentalism, social justice, postmodernism, and approaches to church in a post-colonial world (among others).

I've been less thrilled with the fact that he is so evasive about his theological convictions. While I understand that his evasiveness is for the purpose of getting people to listen to what he IS focused on rather than what he ISN'T, I think that his silence is beginning to cause people to assume the worst. Did you see the interview he did with Scot McKnight? Pretty evasive.

Another disappointment I have with him (I'd say his followers, but he seems to encourage it at times, or at least, doesn't discourage it), is that by constantly attacking the church (particularly the fundamentalist/evangelical church) for her foibles, he rarely recognizes that the church has done much good. This gives rise to people who have a holy dissatisfaction as well as those who have an unholy dissatisfaction. Much of this is a breeding ground for anger which is divisive and undercuts Paul's encouragement toward unity.

That said, I'm always in favor of contrasting (and well-thought-out) voices making their statements. He's a nice guy, personally (from my limited experience with him), but I'm not sure his approach is always the best.

Upvote 0

Izdaari Eristikon

Mar 12, 2007
Post Falls, Idaho
✟32,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
McLaren's theology and politics are both more liberal than I'm comfortable with. And as previously noted, he has a bad attitude and a judgmental tone. But on the whole I'd say he's been a positive influence. I always enjoy his books, read every one of them I can get. They've provoked a lot of much needed re-thinking, for me and for many others.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I've found his writing helpful, mostly. One observation: at least in his early books, he saw himself as an evangelical, and saw the mainline in the typical evangelical fashion as heathen. In fact as we read more or his books it becomes clear that he is reinventing the mainline. Indeed if viewed by PCUSA standards he's probably slightly on the liberal side of the mainline. But I don't think he's figured that out yet.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I enjoy his writings. He is one of several who are making thoughtful contributions to the church in modern society. I am aware of his critics, but I am also aware that we can track the rise and pathways many of those critics themselves have come from. His critics are not THE true Christian voice as much as another variety within the larger family.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

trek4fr

May 21, 2011
✟7,954.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I won't judge the man as someone else I respect said that is not a good idea to do so.

But I will say that his writings came into my life at a time when I was re-evaluating what it means to be a Christian and what it means to follow Jesus. For me, Brian helped me to get back to what Jesus said and taught as the basis for what I believe Christianity should be and what it means to follow this man from Nazareth. Especially in his book, "The Secret Message of Jesus", I came to see that Jesus' teachings are not really about how to go to heaven someday, but how to bring heaven to earth today. So I appreciate that Brian's ministry is more on "let's get back to what Jesus taught" than on shoring up religion, orthodoxy, or church structure. Brian is still evangelical in the sense that he believes that Jesus brought and continues to bring good news. But, yes, he is uncomfortable (and sometimes openly critical) of the way some evangelicals interpret Jesus almost entirely through either a Pauline or a Nicene lense.

As long as Brian continues to point to Jesus, I find it hard to be critical of him.

Reactions: Maid Marie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I won't judge the man as someone else I respect said that is not a good idea to do so.

But I will say that his writings came into my life at a time when I was re-evaluating what it means to be a Christian and what it means to follow Jesus. For me, Brian helped me to get back to what Jesus said and taught as the basis for what I believe Christianity should be and what it means to follow this man from Nazareth. Especially in his book, "The Secret Message of Jesus", I came to see that Jesus' teachings are not really about how to go to heaven someday, but how to bring heaven to earth today. So I appreciate that Brian's ministry is more on "let's get back to what Jesus taught" than on shoring up religion, orthodoxy, or church structure. Brian is still evangelical in the sense that he believes that Jesus brought and continues to bring good news. But, yes, he is uncomfortable (and sometimes openly critical) of the way some evangelicals interpret Jesus almost entirely through either a Pauline or a Nicene lense.

As long as Brian continues to point to Jesus, I find it hard to be critical of him.
^ This (in bold), IMHO, this is one of the most important revelations that most evangelicals need today, instead of wasting time, money, and effort, trying to get out of here.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums