• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Breakthrough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telrunya

Student of the Word
Jun 24, 2004
Bainbridge Island Washington St.
✟2,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hello all. I've been active on the forums for a while now but this is my first time posting here.

I am a father of three very wonderful kids. My oldest (6 year old boy) is high functioning autistic. The other 2 (3 year old girl and a 2 year old boy) are developmentally delayed.

My oldest was a bright happy and engaging baby but very slow to start talking. When he turned two we took him in to get his shots and the very next day the lights went out. I know the doctors say that they have coorected the concoction that they use for immunizations for 2 year olds but from my experiance I dont believe it for a second. Maybe my boy was definately in the autistic spectrum but no where near to the degree that he was the day before he got the shot.

As I said my other two are developmentally delayed but only in their speach. In all other areas they are quiet on par or even advanced. I belive that most of their problem lies in the fact that all three of my kids absolutely adore one another and the two little ones really look up to their big brother who is always taking care of and looking out for them. That coupled with the fact that my wife, who is a stay at home mother, hasn't been all that great about working with our oldest to talk. She recognizes this and is really trying to change. As many of you probably know from experiances of your own, my son is very good at non verbal communication and the other two have picked up on that.

We recently heard about taking dairy out of my sons diet and gave it a try. It has made a tremendous differance. Over the past couple of months his vocabulary has greatly increased to the point that I am begining to suspect that he can read already.

Now my youngest son is starting to do things that cause me some concern such as begining to avoid eye contact.

Our public school system has help for our kids and so far we have been using them. I ahve become aware of some programs that offer alot more help. The problem we have is we are a single income family of 5. I make pretty good money but not extravigant and we really can't afford to pay for specialized schooling. Do any of you have any ideas or know of resources that I might look into? We live in Washington State BTW. Thanks

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟414,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Try the chapter of the Autism Society in Washington. They have branches in every state. www.autism.org is their site I think.

--Peace,
Jess

Upvote 0

Lahmi

Mar 5, 2006
Visit site
✟15,335.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
you should also take wheat out for a couple of weeks
and see what effect it has..
Mine also react to artificial food colorings.

Next thought is to add much music into the mix, sometimes
singing is easier than talkiing. :)
if you can add instrumental training that can help as well.
Your oldest is old enough for piano adn creating a wall of harmony
can be quite comforting. :)

Mark

Upvote 0

Lahmi

Mar 5, 2006
Visit site
✟15,335.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
considering the timing... you should also look into any
latent viruses left over from the vaccine, as well as heavy metals.

I'm not focusing well now, but it looks like there are several
D.A.N. doctors in your state.
here is a partial list.

http://www.drpodell.org/dan.shtml

Upvote 0
T

tim5fl

In a recent Autism/Aspergers support group meeting that my wife & I attended we heard two moms say that they had bought----i know the spelling is wrong here---sorry---they bought: hyperberick chambers---it has helped clean out the system of their sons with AS; the costs start at $22,000 for the chamber they got. Our 7 year old son has AS, but we can't afford $22,000.

Upvote 0

2scoops

The LORD is on my side; I will not fear
May 19, 2004
Dayton, OH
✟11,851.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
tim5fl said:
In a recent Autism/Aspergers support group meeting that my wife & I attended we heard two moms say that they had bought----i know the spelling is wrong here---sorry---they bought: hyperberick chambers---it has helped clean out the system of their sons with AS; the costs start at $22,000 for the chamber they got. Our 7 year old son has AS, but we can't afford $22,000.

Have you been chelating with your son to remove the mercury?

Upvote 0

Protinus

...once more unto the breach dear friends
Supporter
Apr 13, 2004
New York City
✟31,143.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Dear Tim and theMisses: Hi! I am sorry that your child has autism Tim. I would like to say though that there is no exceedingly robust evidence that low pressure hyperbaric oxygen (HO) therapy works with children who have autism.

The whole idea behind HO is to treat diseases for which decreased blood flow or a low oxygenation is major part of the pathophysiology and for which higher oxygen tension might reasonably be thought to help. This also includes conditions for which high oxygen tension can displace a specific toxin from a binding site, like carbon monoxide bound to hemoglobin. That means that HO is useful for nonhealing wounds, decompression sickness, severe anaerobic bacterial infections, necrotizing fasciitis (the "flesh-eating" bacterial infection), or carbon monoxide poisoning.

It's only marginally scientifically plausible that HO would be good for autism. In fact, some evidence in the literature suggests that increased oxidative stress may have relevance to the pathophysiology of autism. If that is actually true, then HO might potentially even be harmful to autistics. (Certainly the known possibility of neurotoxicity from HO should give any parent contemplating this therapy for autism pause.) However, there are also studies that suggest decreases in regional cerebral bloodflow in autistics, but the significance of these findings are unclear. Even if these results are consistent and confirmed, it does not necessarily follow that hyperbaric oxygen will do anything to reverse the pathophysiology.

Plus, the treatments are very expensive and rarely covered by insurance. I will hope and pray for your child.

Upvote 0

vespasia

Franciscan.
Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,460.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Your son has a method of communication, its non verbal.
Making a non vernbal communicator communicate in a way YOU want causes great stress and often sets off anxiety.
Be careful not to push too hard.

He may appear of have a great vocabulary and be hyperlexic does not mean he understands what he says and reads okay.
(work with a wide variety of special needs adolescents at church most have ASD and some form of mental health issue)

As for the others.

Go read up on semantic pragmatic disorder.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.