Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is unbelievable, I pray and support Fr. Pavone.

Father Frank Pavone, a well-known pro-life activist and national director of the organization Priests for Life, has been dismissed from the clerical state for “blasphemous communications on social media” and “persistent disobedience of the lawful instructions of his diocesan bishop,” CNA has learned.​
In a Dec. 13 letter to U.S. bishops obtained by CNA and confirmed by multiple sources as authentic, Archbishop Christophe Pierre, the Apostolic Nuncio to the United States, wrote that the Prefect of the Dicastery for the Clergy issued the decision on Nov. 9, adding that there was “no possibility of appeal.”​

• Informative
Reactions: zippy2006

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So we can have clergy running about leading people astray and trying to upend Church teaching, etc.

Granted, I did not agree with everything Fr. Pavone said and did but he he was an orthodox priest that upheld the teaching of the Church. This is really unbalanced but that seems to be the point anymore. The Church is definitely sending a message and it does not seem to be on the side of orthodox priest and laity.

And as he asked, How did CNA know of this before Fr. Pavone did?

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yikes! Just ran across this:

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In his email, Pavone directed CNA to a document posted on his personal website titled “Summary of How Fr. Frank and Priests for Life Have Been Treated by Some in the Hierarchy.”
I’m still reading this document. I can understand why he is angry but it seems to have left him acting out note than he should. If anyone else reads the document, I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts on it.

Summary of How Fr. Frank and Priests for Life Have Been Treated by Some in the Hierarchy

{Please note that this document will continue to be updated with more links to source documents.}

Introduction

Dear Friends,
I have always said to pro-life activists that if you defend the unborn, you will be treated like them. Just like their very being and legitimacy is denied, so will yours be. Just as they are excluded and mistreated, so will you be.

We all expect that the pro-abortion groups, like Planned Parenthood, will target, harass and try to intimidate us. And they do try.

But when such treatment comes from bishops and other Church authorities – which it increasingly does -- it’s particularly deplorable. Instead of supporting and encouraging the pro-life work of the Church, some of these men try to obstruct and hinder it, and abuse their authority to try to intimidate priests and laity who make ending abortion the top priority of our lives.

And make no mistake... if they oppose priests like me, it’s because they’re opposing you and the commitment you have to this cause.

Cancel culture is alive and well in the Catholic Church. I’ve experienced it firsthand. And the more we are aware of it, the better we will be able to defend ourselves and others from it.

Now I am not one to complain or publicly criticize others. Nor do I want to distract you, my friends, from the key thing we have to be thinking about and discussing, which is the task of ending abortion. Nor do I want you to miss the fact that we get a lot of encouraging support for our work, including from Church leaders.

But to the extent that the actions of certain bishops get in the way of that very mission, I will speak. And to help our friends who have questions about how we are being treated by these bishops, and also to refute our enemies who love to make up their own stories about all this, I will speak about what has transpired so that you have the full story and so that you can help defend me and other priests like me.

Context: Abortion and the Response of the Church

I was ordained by pro-life hero Cardinal John O’Connor of New York. Ever since he died over 20 years ago, I have had to fight (against bishops!) to defend the pro-life work he gave me permission to do, and to continue devoting all my time and energy to fighting abortion.

I’m actually in good company, because he told me that even he, as a Cardinal, had to fight against pushback he received from other bishops for making the abortion issue such a visible priority. In other words, it’s not simply a problem of “Fr. Frank Pavone” or “Priests for Life” – It has become a systemic problem in the institutional Church.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Read about St Padre Pio.
He was often taken away from celebrating Mass. He obeyed.

That aside; he doesn't state what occurred. Because it is serious to be laicized.
:scratch:

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A good deal of this is on Father Pavone who over the years has had a very bad relationship with his Bishop and has been disobedient. However, Pavone’s being thrown out of the priesthood at a time when so many other priests actively promote heresy, is no doubt a convenient shot across the bow by the Vatican against all priests who take the teaching of the Church against abortion seriously.

Continued below.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I’ve looked into this, and it seems like it’s an accurate report. If anyone has any different information, please let me know. The Vatican is now referring to him as Mr. Frank Pavone.

Here is a CNA (Catholic News Association), article confirming that the Vatican has laicized Fr. Pavone.

#BREAKING | Vatican dismisses Father Frank Pavone from priesthood

See also National Catholic Register BREAKING: Vatican Dismisses Father Frank Pavone From Priesthood

If this is the case, and unless they give some pretty good reasons, I consider this way too the extreme. Who knows what the ramifications of this will be. If there IS a case against Fr. Pavone which we are not privy to, it should be revealed. And why was he laicized in early November and never told (according to what we know), and why did he have to learn it through the media over a month later?

This seems like a cowardly and dishonest way to deal with a priest.

Fr. James Martin and the German bishops get special meetings with the pope, and Fr. Pavone gets removed from the priesthood?

The “charges” mentioned by CNA and other news outlets is “dismissed from the clerical state for ‘blasphemous communications on social media’ and ‘persistent disobedience of the lawful instructions of his diocesan bishop‘.”

According to the definition of “blasphemy” in the Catechism of the Catholic Church, I find it hard to see how this could be applied to Fr. Pavone, and even if they do have something unknown to us, isn’t there a middle way to deal with it? Maybe a sabbatical or period of time of restriction and counseling?

BLASPHEMY: CCC 2148 “Blasphemy is directly opposed to the second commandment. It consists in uttering against God—inwardly or outwardly—words of hatred, reproach, or defiance; in speaking ill of God; in failing in respect toward him in one’s speech; in misusing God’s name. St. James condemns those “who blaspheme that honorable name [of Jesus] by which you are called.”
The prohibition of blasphemy extends to Language against Christ’s Church, the saints, and sacred things. It is also blasphemous to make use of God’s name to cover up criminal practices, to reduce peoples to servitude, to torture persons or put them to death. The misuse of God’s name to commit a crime can provoke others to repudiate religion. (1756)
Blasphemy is contrary to the respect due God and his holy name. It is in itself a grave sin.”

(Catholic Church, Catechism of the Catholic Church, 2nd Ed. (Washington, DC: United States Catholic Conference, 2000), 519).

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Nick Moser

Apr 13, 2018
Reno, NV
✟40,636.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Show me a human and they'll have some dabbling of narcissism. [Survival]

I'm neutral on this. I am thankful he is pro life. I disagree with going public.
But the Church is under attack these days, it's another era of being tested, I am sure.

if we'd all obey and chill.
I agree. I think it may not have been the right time / place and it might have not been the right way to approach it but I I am glad he is against infanticide (Even if you're not religious I don't see how anyone could be for it unless they're delusional or evil). And also I'm okay with him supporting Trump. I voted for the guy in 2016 although I felt like he did not deliver. And there's some policies that I wish you would have different regarding some social policies,economic policies, and foreign policies.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wonder what the real grievance is for the minions in the dicastery that handed this down? Was it Pavone's conservative patriotism? Was it his radical pro-lifeism? Was it his calling a spade a spade re: Biden?

We'll probably never know but I'm I don't trust these people to be honest with us, I'm sure they're slapping a label on this to make it look like a just move against Pavone, but really he was probably a meaningful threat to their agenda.

• Agree
Reactions: mourningdove~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟127,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A good deal of this is on Father Pavone who over the years has had a very bad relationship with his Bishop and has been disobedient. However, Pavone’s being thrown out of the priesthood at a time when so many other priests actively promote heresy, is no doubt a convenient shot across the bow by the Vatican against all priests who take the teaching of the Church against abortion seriously.

Continued below.
Cardinal O'Connor, who ordained Pavone to the priesthood, understood the word vocation, and the meaning of being a man of God - and the meaning of obedience. He understood that a man - any man, including a priest - must know his first priority is to be obedient to God, then, in the light of His will, to any earthly "superiors" as long as they are in God's will. God's will is preeminent, and can never be given second place to any other responsibility. Any authentic man of God knows that.

"Yes-men" do not know that. Ladder-climbers, men of worldly ambition, power-seekers and clericalists - whether lay or clergy - and all who seek the praise of men above the praise from the only true God - are driven not by the love of God but the love of self.
Jn 12:42 Nevertheless many even of the authorities believed in him, but for fear of the Pharisees they did not confess it, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:
Jn 12:43 for they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.
Lovers of self can get along with one another very well - as long as their own ambitions are protected.

All those self-centered concerns are as chaff to a man of God. And he - the man of God - is always in the cross-hairs of his "superiors" because he - the man of God - does not respect their leader's most cherished possession: the leader's Title, his Power, his Rule over those "beneath" him.

Augustine had it exactly right: the Rulers of this world rule for the love of ruling, whether their domain is ecclesial or secular: regardless of their costume, whether religious or secular, they are of this world. For the men of God, when they are raised to the place of leadership, it is for the cause of service, with a heart of love and of respect for those they serve as leader. Jesus knew this, and those He calls to lead, as priests, He calls to serve - not to dominance, not to overlord, not to self-aggrandizement, not to carnal ambition, not to advance their self-love, but to do His will.

Frank Pavone had a target on his back from the first day he said "yes" to God for the cause of the unborn - the most innocent of the victims of the heartless slaves to the loves of this world. He took up his cross, and kept the Faith, and became hated by many. I am very sorry to hear from some of those here today. Michie, I address this monologue to you, because I think you will understand what I am trying to say. I'm pretty sure Frank Pavone understands it very well.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Read about St Padre Pio.
He was often taken away from celebrating Mass. He obeyed.

That aside; he doesn't state what occurred. Because it is serious to be laicized.
:scratch:
Yes, but St Padre Pio was taken away from saying Mass publicly, because often in weekday Masses,
he would get lost in contemplation which would make the Mass longer than what the people
attending had time for.

This is a different situation

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Screenshot-2022-12-18-at-12.54.19-PM-253x300.png

Fr. Frank Pavone responds to his removal from priesthood.

Looks like this will be an ongoing saga. May God bless and help him.

Fr. Frank Comments on Latest Developments

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From Fr. Dwight Longenecker.

In the Vatican’s announcement of Father Frank Pavone’s laicization it was notable that they referred to him as “Mr Pavone”.

For most of us (and apparently for Father Pavone too) the news of his being ejected from the clerical state came as a surprise. I have not followed Fr Pavone’s mission very closely over the years. While I admired his strong pro-life campaign, I shuddered at his open support for Donald Trump and was suspicious of his being somewhat of a freelance celebrity priest. We saw what happened with Father Corapi who also was allowed a free ranging ministry that too often was focussed on the promotion of Father Corapi and his bank account. This is not to say Father Pavone was another Corapi–only to say that when a priest is cut off from a local pastoral ministry in union with his bishop or religious community we should not be surprised when it ends in tears.

The psychological dynamics of charismatic religious leaders and their followers is an interesting study in dysfunction and human weakness. Typically the most wonderful and charismatic religious leaders have a strong personal identity combined with a streak of egoism. This is what makes them strong, outspoken leaders. This is also what makes them very attractive to a certain personality type who needs a strong, dynamic and outspoken leader. An unhealthy symbiotic relationship develops. The strong religious leader draws people who tend to be dependent. They, in turn, love him too much. They can become attached not only to his message, but to him as a person. They give him their attention. They give him their time. They give him their money, and all this feeds his egoism and makes him even stronger and more outspoken and this makes his followers adore him even more.

Please understand, I don’t know that much about Fr Pavone, and I’m not necessarily saying this is what developed in his ministry. I am simply commenting in general terms about the dynamics I have seen in religious organizations time and time again–and it doesn’t matter whether they are Protestant or Catholic, conservative or liberal. It happens everywhere.

*snip*

This being said, it does seem peculiar to me that Fr Pavone–an outspoken pro-life priest–has been disciplined in this way while other liberal priests who flaunt the church’s teachings on morality and are clearly heterodox in their theology are celebrated and promoted. As with the pope’s Moto proprio Traditiones Custodes about the Traditional Latin Mass, it seems to me to be a sledgehammer to crack a peanut.

Continued below.

Upvote 0