Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
McCarrick is charged in state court with three counts of indecent assault and battery on a person over the age of 14 relating to allegations that he sexually abused the teenager.

Former cardinal Theodore McCarrick is not competent to stand trial on criminal sexual abuse charges in Massachusetts, a mental health expert hired by the state said after examining the disgraced ex-prelate.

The update in the case could lead to the dismissal of the first criminal charges against McCarrick, 92, following several accusations of sexual abuse of minors and seminarians, which led to his removal from the clerical state in 2019. Criminal sexual assault charges filed against McCarrick in Wisconsin in April are still pending, as are a number of civil lawsuits.

McCarrick is charged in state court with three counts of indecent assault and battery on a person over the age of 14 relating to allegations that he sexually abused the teenager who was a family friend at a wedding ceremony in the 1970s at Wellesley College in Wellesley, Massachusetts.

That teenager was identified by NorthJersey.com in February as James Grein, a now-64-year-old former New Jersey resident.

Grein went public with his allegations in 2018 in an interview with The New York Times, which referred to him only by his first name. He told the newspaper that McCarrick had serially sexually abused him beginning when he was 11.

According to a press release from the Norfolk District Attorney Office, the state of Massachusetts had a health expert examine McCarrick in Missouri following McCarrick’s filing of a motion in February claiming he is “legally incompetent” to stand trial, citing “significant, worsening, and irreversible dementia.”

Continued below.

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,494.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I have no idea if McCarrick has repented of his sins or not. That's between him and God.

But his situtation reminds me of an ominous comment by my old pastor that if you can't remember your past, you can't repent since you don't know what you have done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,239,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have no idea if McCarrick has repented of his sins or not. That's between him and God.

But his situtation reminds me of an ominous comment by my old pastor that if you can't remember your past, you can't repent since you don't know what you have done.
I hope he has. Hell is a long long long time. If he goes there I suspect he will be made competent to comprehend the depths of what he did.

We can't wish hell on anyone, even the deserving.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I hope he has. Hell is a long long long time. If he goes there I suspect he will be made competent to comprehend the depths of what he did.

We can't wish hell on anyone, even the deserving.
Amen

Upvote 0