Both Big Check and Small Dollar Donations to GOP drop as worries mount about the party’s finances

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Donors have not cut as many large checks to the RNC in recent years, and the party’s small-dollar program has also suffered

The Republican National Committee disclosed that it had $9.1 million in cash on hand as of Oct. 30, the lowest amount for the RNC in any Federal Election Commission report since February 2015. That compares with about $20 million at the same point in the 2016 election cycle and about $61 million four years ago, when Trump was in the White House.

“It’s a revenue problem,” Tennessee RNC member Oscar Brock said. “We’re going through the same efforts we always go through to raise money: the same donor meetings, retreats, digital advertising, direct mail. But the return is much lower this year. If you know the answer, I’d love to know it."

Some donors aren’t giving to the RNC because they think that will help Trump, which they don’t want to do, these people said, while others have said they prefer to wait until 2024 to give. Some have grown frustrated with the party’s leadership, people close to major donors said.

Republican frustrations burst into the open this month after GOP losses in races for the Virginia legislature [and elsewhere]

In October, the RNC rejected a request for additional funding for the Virginia GOP this fall, said the state party chairman, Rich Anderson.

In TV and podcast interviews after the elections, McDaniel repeatedly defended the RNC’s refusal to pay, arguing that federal campaign finance laws limit the national committee’s involvement in state elections. In fact, there are no limits on RNC transfers to state parties.

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
“It’s a revenue problem,” Tennessee RNC member Oscar Brock said. “We’re going through the same efforts we always go through to raise money: the same donor meetings, retreats, digital advertising, direct mail. But the return is much lower this year. If you know the answer, I’d love to know it."

I know : how about not promoting people who advocate for overturning fair elections into leadership positions in the party? Seems like a radical idea but who knows, it might even work.

I'm not even really joking here. Big money isn't going to give to causes which look to undermine the status quo. And that status quo is at least playing along with the idea that elections in the country are fair.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Are you implying that the Republican Party is now the party of the poor?
Ha, no. I'm sure the ultrawealthy will give piles of $peech to their pet PACs and SuperPACs to influence the election, mostly for the benefit of Republican candidates.

But the party itself is hurting for cash. Half of its usual supporters don't want to benefit Trump, and the other half doesn't want to benefit "RINOs" (in their view).

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ha, no. I'm sure the ultrawealthy will give piles of $peech to their pet PACs and SuperPACs to influence the election, mostly for the benefit of Republican candidates.

But the party itself is hurting for cash. Half of its usual supporters don't want to benefit Trump, and the other half doesn't want to benefit "RINOs" (in their view).
I'm also assuming a lot of money which would have gone to the party is instead going to fund their candidate's legal defenses in the various criminal and civil trials he's fighting.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I'm also assuming a lot of money which would have gone to the party is instead going to fund their candidate's legal defenses in the various criminal and civil trials he's fighting.
Indeed yes.

Lawyers, Trump and money: Ex-president spends millions in donor cash on attorneys as legal woes grow

Trump’s Save America political action committee has paid nearly $37 million to more than 60 law firms and individual attorneys since January 2022, Federal Election Commission records show.

Reactions: JustOneWay
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Aw, paying for lawyers is boring.

Trump Legal Defense Fund’s Biggest Expense Was Mar-a-Lago

In fact, the Patriot Legal Defense Fund spent just $28,578 over the last six months, with Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club getting $18,136 for “banquet hall” fees in late November.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Aw, paying for lawyers is boring.

Trump Legal Defense Fund’s Biggest Expense Was Mar-a-Lago

In fact, the Patriot Legal Defense Fund spent just $28,578 over the last six months, with Trump’s Mar-a-Lago club getting $18,136 for “banquet hall” fees in late November.

1702501274010.png

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums