Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I just read on the Women's Forum that Target stores has decided to eliminate the Salvation Army bell ringers kettle drive from all of its locations nationwide. I have e-mailed corporate and told them what I think of this. As a social work major, I consistently check on the corporate decisions that impact the communities in which stores are located. This decision just proves to me that Target is more interested in the bottom line than the welfare of the poor and needy. The pity is, it would cost them nothing to allow the bell ringers outside their stores.

StarSapphire

Joyfully we adore Him!
Nov 28, 2004
Northern California
✟11,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Target isn't the only cold-hearted corporation. There are others doing this as well. However, I went to a Mervyn's the other day, and the bell-ringers were in place. It just wouldn't be Christmas without hearing that joyful sound.

Upvote 0

StarSapphire

Joyfully we adore Him!
Nov 28, 2004
Northern California
✟11,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
madison1101 said:
I never heard of Mervyn's. Can you tell me where I could get a list of merchants that don't allow Salvation Army bell ringers?

Madison

I don't know where you could get a list, but perhaps you could contact your local Salvation Army for a list? Mervyn's is probably mainly in California - a department store. :)

Upvote 0

contra

Nov 30, 2004
Visit site
✟134.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Mervyn's used to by owned by Target, but Target sold it this year.

But there is an issue here. The Salvation Army is actually a denomination, with ordained clergy, etc. In fact the SA is the only protestant denomination without the sacrament of baptism. So should a particular denomination, and an oddball one at that, be allowed to fund-raise in a store, and should you expect a business to allow it?

Reactions: Why?
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,852.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I think there is more than one side to this. I didn't hear that Target was declining to continue to allow the Salvation Army (hired) ringers because of any politically correct aversion to Christian themes, etc., but more that it couldn't accomodate everyone. In fact, I don't feel from my experience that the SA does any better a job at its giving than many other Christian (or secular, for that matter) charities.

Upvote 0

dulcinea

Dec 3, 2004
The United States
Visit site
✟15,360.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Sapphyre said:
Target isn't the only cold-hearted corporation.
Oh yes, Target is SO cold-hearted that they donate millions of dollars a month to charity projects. That is just so cold-hearted!

Target has had a no-solicitation policy for a long time, they just bent it for Salvation's Army. Now they aren't bending their own rules anymore. I don't see what the hissy is all about. I still shop there. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

StarSapphire

Joyfully we adore Him!
Nov 28, 2004
Northern California
✟11,448.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
dulcinea said:
Oh yes, Target is SO cold-hearted that they donate millions of dollars a month to charity projects. That is just so cold-hearted!

Target has had a no-solicitation policy for a long time, they just bent it for Salvation's Army. Now they aren't bending their own rules anymore. I don't see what the hissy is all about. I still shop there. :thumbsup:

Which charities do they donate to? Do they donate to the Salvation Army at all? It is still loss of income for the SA. Sorry, but it still seems like an attempt to deChristianize Christmas to me.

Upvote 0

whoopiepie

Dec 19, 2004
✟202.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

progressivegal

Jan 3, 2005
✟16,438.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Most stores, Meijer, Target (now), K-mart, etc. Do not allow Bell Ringers because of their no-soliciting policies, because if they let the Bell ringers stand outside to collect money they would have to allow anyone who wanted to to ask for money, hand out pamphlets, have pettions, or stop and give a spiel to shoppers, alot of people feel harassed by these things (and for good reason sometimes), and these stores can't allow one organization to solicit and not another. I understand this policy, and I respect it, it's just good business, you want your customers to feel as comfortable as possible. I dontated to the Salvation Army Bell ringer in front of Walgreens, and I've donated in the past, I don't agree with everything they do, but they do alot of great things too, and I'm happy to support them. I think the same people who go into the stores that don't allow soliciters probably go into stores that do as well (I don't know anyone who just shops at one place), and I think pretty much anyone who was out Christmas shopping in the United States has come across a bell ringer and has had the opportunity to give, or if not they can always give online or mail in a donation. I think generally everyone who gave in years past gave this year, even if they didn't do it at Target. I love Target, they're clean, have good selections and low prices, and as was said, they do donate lots of many to charity, I don't shop at Walmart for Moral reasons, so I definitely respect people who don't wish to shop at Target, but I don't really agree with their reasoning, but hey, they probably don't care what I think anyway. I think pretty much every superstore has gotten heat for their no soliciting policies (or in Targets case for the enforcement of them), I know the Meijer in my area did, but soon it will all blow over, and our attention will be on another corporation, as it always is (Hopefully Walmart, hehe ;).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums