• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

"Born Again Virgin"

brandynicole

Jul 3, 2017
Florida
✟27,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is this a real thing or are people adding to what God has said?

I have struggled to believe that God has forgiven me of my sexual sins, and it probably will be quite some time until I am okay with my past. But what is this belief that you can be pure (virgin) again?

My knowledge of purity and virginity is "one and done". Outside of that there is God's forgiveness, but there is no undoing of your sin.

Would I be a liar to tell a future spouse that I am a "born again virgin" when that is clearly unbiblical? God never said that my sins would be undone, just that I am forgiven.

[This is all so complicated that I would rather live my life in singleness for Christ. And I realize things would be less complicated if I hadn't sinned (but I can't change the past).]

Cory91

Jun 8, 2020
Blueridge
✟10,049.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would not go Into your past much , you are forgiven , you are a new creature in christ you have to ask yourself is this info going to help or harm , i have seen some couples say we must disclose everything under the guise of honesty only to find out the other partner is to immature. And insecure to handle the truth And gets used as. Ammo in future fights besides that once married the bond of loving intimacy is much different i cant hardly remember what the people of my past were like now

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Anything beyond wiping the sin record clean isn't Biblical. Not to say that it's impossible, but it's not promised in this life either. And future spouses have to deal with the you that's in this life, nobody's getting all of whom we will be in Heaven.

Tell your future spouse that you're not a virgin, but you've repented. It doesn't over-emphasize what happened, or where you're at now. God assigned moral purity to you when you became a Christian, and that is no small thing.

• Agree
Reactions: Leet
Upvote 0

Broken Fence

God with us!
Site Supporter
May 1, 2020
TX to New Heaven, New Earth, New Jerusalem
✟142,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
What born-again virgin means is Christ died for your sins. You accept His sacrifice and are made pure again. A born-again virgin saves themselves in sexual purity until they are married. No sex til marriage.

1 john 1:8-9

4 – Becoming Pure Again

Born-again virgin - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have struggled to believe that God has forgiven me of my sexual sins
Jesus on the cross was not struggling to forgive you. And look at how He related with women who were guilty of sexual sinning. And to a number of people He would say, "Let the one without sin cast the first stone."

So, He is done with it, I can see.

there is God's forgiveness, but there is no undoing of your sin.
If Jesus has set you free from it, you are done with it, and it is time for you to move into forgiving > "even as God in Christ forgave you." See Ephesians 4:31-32.

Don't be tricked into keeping your attention on your past, because it is time for your attention to move to helping others be forgiven and free of their past.

Now, of course, you can use your past in a good way, to show how God is forgiving by forgiving you and He is able to change us out of our evil past. And be an example of real purity of love, not only outward morality and behavioral gesturing.

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

Upvote 0

brandynicole

Jul 3, 2017
Florida
✟27,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I would not go Into your past much , you are forgiven , you are a new creature in christ you have to ask yourself is this info going to help or harm , i have seen some couples say we must disclose everything under the guise of honesty only to find out the other partner is to immature. And insecure to handle the truth And gets used as. Ammo in future fights besides that once married the bond of loving intimacy is much different i cant hardly remember what the people of my past were like now

Anything beyond wiping the sin record clean isn't Biblical. Not to say that it's impossible, but it's not promised in this life either. And future spouses have to deal with the you that's in this life, nobody's getting all of whom we will be in Heaven.

Tell your future spouse that you're not a virgin, but you've repented. It doesn't over-emphasize what happened, or where you're at now. God assigned moral purity to you when you became a Christian, and that is no small thing.

What born-again virgin means is Christ died for your sins. You accept His sacrifice and are made pure again. A born-again virgin saves themselves in sexual purity until they are married. No sex til marriage.

1 john 1:8-9

4 – Becoming Pure Again

Born-again virgin - Wikipedia

Jesus on the cross was not struggling to forgive you. And look at how He related with women who were guilty of sexual sinning. And to a number of people He would say, "Let the one without sin cast the first stone."

So, He is done with it, I can see.

If Jesus has set you free from it, you are done with it, and it is time for you to move into forgiving > "even as God in Christ forgave you." See Ephesians 4:31-32.

Don't be tricked into keeping your attention on your past, because it is time for your attention to move to helping others be forgiven and free of their past.

Now, of course, you can use your past in a good way, to show how God is forgiving by forgiving you and He is able to change us out of our evil past. And be an example of real purity of love, not only outward morality and behavioral gesturing.

"rather let it be the hidden person of the heart, with the incorruptible beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is very precious in the sight of God." (1 Peter 3:4)

Thanks everyone for the different perspectives. There are so many terms used now in Christian culture that it's hard to tell what's Biblical and what's "In fashion" at the moment.

Your responses helped to clear that up.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What born-again virgin means is Christ died for your sins. You accept His sacrifice and are made pure again.
Thank you; I think this is very helpful and simple.

And the church of Jesus is considered to be His virgin. All of us, then, now are the virgin of Jesus. So then, our identity and who we are now has nothing to do with our sinful past.

So, about your past . . . the same goes for all of us in Jesus > your past does not define who you are now. You are no longer, by the way, an independent individual who should be effected and defined by your past, but now you are with us in Jesus if you have indeed trusted in Christ > Ephesians 1:12.

And you have started a new upbringing in a new family, also.

We are family; our past individual sin lives do not define or have any say in who we are now.

So, beware of letting yourself get isolated from your Jesus family people. We have all been sinners; we have all done shameful things. Unforgiveness is one of the most shameful, by the way.

But, in this evil world, there are people who will evaluate you by your past and not forgive you, but they will answer to God if they do not repent of not forgiving you. They are the ones in trouble, and Satan can be allowed to bring your past back, in order to test you. But we answer to God.

Just because something is forgiven, this does not mean Satan can not bring it back to our memory. But instead of being worried about your own past, now it is time for you to forgive people, including those ones who do not forgive you. Each time a thing comes back to me about someone, I can do a better job of forgiving the person and more maturely praying God's blessing to that person. So, I would say this is what you need to be doing > you forgive the ones who do not love you, and then keep loving and blessing and forgiving them more and better as you mature and Satan keeps bringing them back to your mind . . . if he does > once he finds out people he has you remember will come to a prayer meeting for them, he might stop reminding you of them, and then you will need for God to remind you :).

I have struggled to believe that God has forgiven me of my sexual sins,
So, our Heavenly Father and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are better than we are; They forgive us, but we are not so good at forgiving, are we? Instead of struggling about that stuff, be snuggling in love's prayer for all those poor ruined people unforgiving, who need to find out how to love > have compassion for them, and do not allow their evil to get to you >

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:21)

This "good" includes how God desires for us to forgive the way He has forgiven us.

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

We can see, then, how Satan's trick can be to have you worrying about if you are forgiven, in order to keep you from moving on to forgiving "even as God in Christ forgave you." Satan wants to keep you from living in unity and harmony "tenderhearted" of forgiving each other in the loving and kind way and so-generous way that our Father has loved us.

Because as we grow in how God's love has us forgiving the way He does, in His love we have power so Satan and his horrible things can't get the better of us. For example > 1 John 4:18.

So, not only are we so guaranteed that we are forgiven for anything and everything, but this is our example which we are required to follow.

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

So, the Gospel is our example to follow, not only a report to believe! Jesus on the cross so suffered and died with hope for any evil person, at all > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7). And this is our example, that we follow Jesus by having hope and forgiveness ready for any person, at all.

So, please to not let any dirty and cruel and bullying feelings and thoughts hold you back from this loving which we have in Jesus! And have mercy on any human who would try to hold you to your past. Show that person how to love, so God can use your good example to spread to that person how we have love and family in Jesus.

it probably will be quite some time until I am okay with my past.
If you grow in how Jesus has us loving, you will be less ok with the things you did. You will see more and more of how wrong you were, and you can become more and more grateful that God has turned you "from the power of Satan to God" (Acts 26:18).

In my case, now that I have become able to feel for other people, now I can better see how wrong I was to bully people. At first as a Christian, I might only know it was not nice to do. But now I can see how it kept me from being able to love, and I could have had the best of love friendship by sharing with my victims and standing up for them. But > though I am not with them, now, so I could do that with them, now - - - there are all the people I do have now, so I can enjoy loving and tenderly sharing with any and all people, now, the way I should have with those people.

I would say > likewise > now you know what was wrong; do the good you can, now . . . how now you can become a loving and caring person.

And make sure you are with family caring and sharing Jesus people who help you with this. And spend time with mature couples and seniors who have decades of time getting God's correction and maturing in how to share with and submit to God, and how to relate and how to do well in marriage.

And my opinion is, certainly do not isolate even on dates with a guy you do not even know enough to be sure it is good to trust him. You can make sure with God, without isolating with someone and even falling for a guy when you haven't even found out how he really is.

And my personal opinion is I have seen how people marry ones they do not even trust!!

i have seen some couples say we must disclose everything under the guise of honesty only to find out the other partner is to immature. And insecure to handle the truth And gets used as. Ammo in future fights
My personal opinion is it is wise to marry someone who you know you can trust to forgive you . . . because he knows Jesus requires us to forgive, among other things.

Jesus is very clear >

"'And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.'" (Mark 11:25-26)

So, I see how being able to forgive lovingly and generously > "anything" > this is a basic of being capable of love. So, I would not even start a relationship with a guy who does not know how to love. Why would you even think of marrying a person who would not forgive you?

But yes there are even anti-love and anti-forgiveness men who can charm women into marrying them, and even thinking they are mature Christian men and very desirable for marriage. And church culture people can hold them in very high esteem. But in case you are attracted to a man like this who does not have the ability to love you, this can mean you need to evaluate how you are evaluating men. What is it about you which can make you able to be attracted to someone who does not know how to lovingly forgive?

There appear to be many women who have married men who seemed to be so great. But they have turned out to be Jesus-talking abusers and adulterers. Those women did not know how to evaluate. They were attracted by what has nothing to do with real love, I have to consider. And men . . . me, too . . . have fooled ourselves. And this is not the fault of whoever fooled us. We can with Jesus make sure about whom we trust.

So, in case you are involved with church people who can not forgive you . . . unforgiving people can be very cruel and anti-love and they can make a big show of themselves so you can be fooled into supposing they represent God's church and Jesus. They don't!!!!

The Jesus people are gentle and humble and they can be very in-your-face with their readiness to forgive. If you just listen to us for a little, you might not need to ask us about this :) Or, maybe, just say something vague like, "Oh, I did something in my past that I am ashamed of," and see what kind of an earful a forgiving person will give you :)

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,007,133.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Is this a real thing or are people adding to what God has said?

I have struggled to believe that God has forgiven me of my sexual sins, and it probably will be quite some time until I am okay with my past. But what is this belief that you can be pure (virgin) again?

My knowledge of purity and virginity is "one and done". Outside of that there is God's forgiveness, but there is no undoing of your sin.

Would I be a liar to tell a future spouse that I am a "born again virgin" when that is clearly unbiblical? God never said that my sins would be undone, just that I am forgiven.

[This is all so complicated that I would rather live my life in singleness for Christ. And I realize things would be less complicated if I hadn't sinned (but I can't change the past).]

I've heard the term "spiritual virginity" to refer to one's sense of sexual purity after coming to faith, but it doesn't actually change the fact that one has had sex before.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brandynicole

Jul 3, 2017
Florida
✟27,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you; I think this is very helpful and simple.

And the church of Jesus is considered to be His virgin. All of us, then, now are the virgin of Jesus. So then, our identity and who we are now has nothing to do with our sinful past.

So, about your past . . . the same goes for all of us in Jesus > your past does not define who you are now. You are no longer, by the way, an independent individual who should be effected and defined by your past, but now you are with us in Jesus if you have indeed trusted in Christ > Ephesians 1:12.

And you have started a new upbringing in a new family, also.

We are family; our past individual sin lives do not define or have any say in who we are now.

So, beware of letting yourself get isolated from your Jesus family people. We have all been sinners; we have all done shameful things. Unforgiveness is one of the most shameful, by the way.

But, in this evil world, there are people who will evaluate you by your past and not forgive you, but they will answer to God if they do not repent of not forgiving you. They are the ones in trouble, and Satan can be allowed to bring your past back, in order to test you. But we answer to God.

Just because something is forgiven, this does not mean Satan can not bring it back to our memory. But instead of being worried about your own past, now it is time for you to forgive people, including those ones who do not forgive you. Each time a thing comes back to me about someone, I can do a better job of forgiving the person and more maturely praying God's blessing to that person. So, I would say this is what you need to be doing > you forgive the ones who do not love you, and then keep loving and blessing and forgiving them more and better as you mature and Satan keeps bringing them back to your mind . . . if he does > once he finds out people he has you remember will come to a prayer meeting for them, he might stop reminding you of them, and then you will need for God to remind you :).

So, our Heavenly Father and Jesus and the Holy Spirit are better than we are; They forgive us, but we are not so good at forgiving, are we? Instead of struggling about that stuff, be snuggling in love's prayer for all those poor ruined people unforgiving, who need to find out how to love > have compassion for them, and do not allow their evil to get to you >

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good." (Romans 12:21)

This "good" includes how God desires for us to forgive the way He has forgiven us.

"Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you." (Ephesians 4:31-32)

We can see, then, how Satan's trick can be to have you worrying about if you are forgiven, in order to keep you from moving on to forgiving "even as God in Christ forgave you." Satan wants to keep you from living in unity and harmony "tenderhearted" of forgiving each other in the loving and kind way and so-generous way that our Father has loved us.

Because as we grow in how God's love has us forgiving the way He does, in His love we have power so Satan and his horrible things can't get the better of us. For example > 1 John 4:18.

So, not only are we so guaranteed that we are forgiven for anything and everything, but this is our example which we are required to follow.

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

So, the Gospel is our example to follow, not only a report to believe! Jesus on the cross so suffered and died with hope for any evil person, at all > love "hopes all things" (in 1 Corinthians 13:7). And this is our example, that we follow Jesus by having hope and forgiveness ready for any person, at all.

So, please to not let any dirty and cruel and bullying feelings and thoughts hold you back from this loving which we have in Jesus! And have mercy on any human who would try to hold you to your past. Show that person how to love, so God can use your good example to spread to that person how we have love and family in Jesus.

If you grow in how Jesus has us loving, you will be less ok with the things you did. You will see more and more of how wrong you were, and you can become more and more grateful that God has turned you "from the power of Satan to God" (Acts 26:18).

In my case, now that I have become able to feel for other people, now I can better see how wrong I was to bully people. At first as a Christian, I might only know it was not nice to do. But now I can see how it kept me from being able to love, and I could have had the best of love friendship by sharing with my victims and standing up for them. But > though I am not with them, now, so I could do that with them, now - - - there are all the people I do have now, so I can enjoy loving and tenderly sharing with any and all people, now, the way I should have with those people.

I would say > likewise > now you know what was wrong; do the good you can, now . . . how now you can become a loving and caring person.

And make sure you are with family caring and sharing Jesus people who help you with this. And spend time with mature couples and seniors who have decades of time getting God's correction and maturing in how to share with and submit to God, and how to relate and how to do well in marriage.

And my opinion is, certainly do not isolate even on dates with a guy you do not even know enough to be sure it is good to trust him. You can make sure with God, without isolating with someone and even falling for a guy when you haven't even found out how he really is.

And my personal opinion is I have seen how people marry ones they do not even trust!!

My personal opinion is it is wise to marry someone who you know you can trust to forgive you . . . because he knows Jesus requires us to forgive, among other things.

Jesus is very clear >

"'And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.'" (Mark 11:25-26)

So, I see how being able to forgive lovingly and generously > "anything" > this is a basic of being capable of love. So, I would not even start a relationship with a guy who does not know how to love. Why would you even think of marrying a person who would not forgive you?

But yes there are even anti-love and anti-forgiveness men who can charm women into marrying them, and even thinking they are mature Christian men and very desirable for marriage. And church culture people can hold them in very high esteem. But in case you are attracted to a man like this who does not have the ability to love you, this can mean you need to evaluate how you are evaluating men. What is it about you which can make you able to be attracted to someone who does not know how to lovingly forgive?

There appear to be many women who have married men who seemed to be so great. But they have turned out to be Jesus-talking abusers and adulterers. Those women did not know how to evaluate. They were attracted by what has nothing to do with real love, I have to consider. And men . . . me, too . . . have fooled ourselves. And this is not the fault of whoever fooled us. We can with Jesus make sure about whom we trust.

So, in case you are involved with church people who can not forgive you . . . unforgiving people can be very cruel and anti-love and they can make a big show of themselves so you can be fooled into supposing they represent God's church and Jesus. They don't!!!!

The Jesus people are gentle and humble and they can be very in-your-face with their readiness to forgive. If you just listen to us for a little, you might not need to ask us about this :) Or, maybe, just say something vague like, "Oh, I did something in my past that I am ashamed of," and see what kind of an earful a forgiving person will give you :)

Faithfulness
Obediant
Redemption
Giving
Innocent
Victory
Eternity

I've heard the term "spiritual virginity" to refer to one's sense of sexual purity after coming to faith, but it doesn't actually change the fact that one has had sex before.

Thanks again for your thoughtful replies

Upvote 0