Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Trump needs to visit the Statue of Liberty

STATUE OF LIBERTY

“Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free/The wretched refuse of your teeming shore/Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me/I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

That poem was for the dedication of the pedestal, not the statue. And the poem is incomplete, AND it was meant for European immigrants only.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There are posts on here I made prior to the election that outlined the trick that will be played and we're already seeing it happen. Quite simply, Trump and Trump loyalists will insist that fences and walls are identical. Trump already said there are many miles of "wall" at our border, when there are, in fact, miles of fencing. Some form of fence will be erected and Trump will claim that "the wall" was built. Trump loyalists will parrot the same. If it's pointed out that Trump talked about a wall of concrete and rebar,that will be swept under the rug. We'll likely be told something about MAGA and whatever.

What is needed is an inexpensive chain link fence topped with razor wire and patrolled by border guards, military, law enforcement, and guard dogs, as well as electronic and other high-tech surveillance methods. Such barriers are highly effective. This makes it feasible, cost effective, and effective at stopping illegal crossings. I don't believe that Trump has any intention of building an expensive, permanent wall.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
What is needed is an inexpensive chain link fence topped with razor wire and patrolled by border guards, military, law enforcement, and guard dogs, as well as electronic and other high-tech surveillance methods. Such barriers are highly effective. This makes it feasible, cost effective, and effective at stopping illegal crossings. I don't believe that Trump has any intention of building an expensive, permanent wall.

Do you want me to post the multiple times he spoke about a beautiful concrete wall? I'd rather not go through the pain of hearing that man's voice over and over again but I'll suffer it if you want proof.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you want me to post the multiple times he spoke about a beautiful concrete wall? I'd rather not go through the pain of hearing that man's voice over and over again but I'll suffer it if you want proof.

I would counter with a quote from his book, "The Art of the Deal", where he reveals the technique of presenting a completely outrageous proposal as a starting point for negotiations. The wall as proposed is an example of this imo.

On the other hand a wall as proposed will attract a lot of investment, provide lots of jobs, etc. I'm guessing he's waiting to see which plan will fly. A permanent wall would be a legacy for him, as would a good fence, if either were successful.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tooldtocare

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
united states
✟18,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's pointless. .,.,. If we do pay for the wall. The government also has to buy the land. .,.,..

I am sure trump’s minions are buying up the land as we speak and will sell it back to our government at five times the purchase price; It’s called the trumpidump on you plain.

:)-

Upvote 0

tooldtocare

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
united states
✟18,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That poem was for the dedication of the pedestal, not the statue. And the poem is incomplete, AND it was meant for European immigrants only.

The statue was a gift from France commemorating the end of the civil war. Maybe you don't remember but this marked the end of slavery in America.
:)-

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I would counter with a quote from his book, "The Art of the Deal", where he reveals the technique of presenting a completely outrageous proposal as a starting point for negotiations. The wall as proposed is an example of this imo.

On the other hand a wall as proposed will attract a lot of investment, provide lots of jobs, etc. I'm guessing he's waiting to see which plan will fly. A permanent wall would be a legacy for him, as would a good fence, if either were successful.

I'll accept your explanation that he lied to his supporters over and over again, telling them that it would be concrete and that Mexico would pay for it.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'll accept your explanation that he lied to his supporters over and over again, telling them that it would be concrete and that Mexico would pay for it.

It was always hyperbole. Mexico will 'pay' for it indirectly.

Trump uses the same 'promises' that all politicians do, promising things they have no ability, or intention, of ever doing once elected. Where Trump is different is that he appears to be fulfilling his campaign promises.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you think his supporters thought it was hyperbole?

I did, and I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree. :( If you take him at his word (according to his book) everything is a negotiating ploy.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I did, and I'm not the brightest bulb on the tree. :(

That's not what I was told in the run up to the election. People defended the billions of dollars needed to build it and told me that it was necessary for it to be concrete and rebar just like their hero said.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's not what I was told in the run up to the election. People defended the billions of dollars needed to build it and told me that it was necessary for it to be concrete and rebar just like their hero said.

I heard that as well and considered them 'throwaway' lines. Recall that he also remarked several times that, "Oops, it just got ten feet taller". That should have given a clue.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, The United States will be paying for it.

What I meant was that Mexico will 'pay dearly' 'for' the wall. ;) And the money we spend building it will be a really good investment (sorta like spending a few dollars on weather stripping to keep those pesky drafts out).

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What I meant was that Mexico will 'pay dearly' 'for' the wall. ;) And the money we spend building it will be a really good investment (sorta like spending a few dollars on weather stripping to keep those pesky drafts out).
I thought putting more business along the border might help both countries. But we might just fight each other for profit.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I thought putting more business along the border might help both countries. But we might just fight each other for profit.

Trump has said that he wants American workers to get jobs (don't know if that applies to the wall).

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟276,055.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Talked me into it.
5 dollar crossing fee.

So, you've cut the duration of paying for the physical border wall from 140 years to ~28 years - again, excluding ongoing and unforseen costs.

Mexico offers me nothing good.

Corn? Fresh fruit? Vegetables? Electrical goods? Cars and trucks? Computers? Tequila? Industrial equipment? Oil and petroleum products? Plastics?

Sure - nothing good there...

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So, you've cut the duration of paying for the physical border wall from 140 years to ~28 years

That works and guess what? That would be just one way in which to have Mexico pay for the wall.
M-Bob

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0