LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I thought the current narrative was that walls are pointless, and that we shouldn't bother wasting money on them?

Walls in general aren't pointless. This specific wall will not provide the type of security being promised and will cost far more than the benefits it brings. I'm not even including the fact that we're likely going to have to give up large segments of the Rio Grande river to build it (or steal Mexican land if we want to be thieves). It's being sold as a solution when it isn't. A better solution would be stepping up monitoring with technology and making sure that boarder security can get to locations fast. I'd rather invest more in technology and people than in Trump's wall.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I thought the current narrative was that walls are pointless, and that we shouldn't bother wasting money on them?

But I suppose a forked tongue can carry two opposing narratives at once.
East Germany built a great big wall. Look how safe and secure that nation is today.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why, you could say crime is practically non-existent in East Germany!
After building the wall, the East German Olympic team was incredible.

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Jesus Christ is this Knight's truth.
Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Huh. This will be interesting. :eek:

Kind of wondering when Trump decides that there are also just too many bad people from Canada trying to get into America illegally (in his mind, that is) as well, and he should alienate us further as a country by putting down another wall to the North. *sigh*

You know, I say this only half-jokingly, Swan, because Trump really does seem to grow more cartoonish in various ways by the day (this almost paranoia-driven need to build an actual, physical wall between countries, for example), but you might best hurry along to your man down here if you still intend to go to America one day like I remember you two once saying. Before it gets too difficult.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Walls in general aren't pointless. This specific wall will not provide the type of security being promised and will cost far more than the benefits it brings. I'm not even including the fact that we're likely going to have to give up large segments of the Rio Grande river to build it (or steal Mexican land if we want to be thieves). It's being sold as a solution when it isn't. A better solution would be stepping up monitoring with technology and making sure that boarder security can get to locations fast. I'd rather invest more in technology and people than in Trump's wall.

Exactly. What is needed is a good, detailed cost-benefit analysis. But it may be impossible to get accurate, and unbiased data. I'm no expert, but I've seen claims that the net monetary cost of undocumented immigration is large, small, and even negative. (Which would mean that illegals add more value than they consume.) There are so many variables to consider, and so many assumptions made that can skew the conclusions one way or the other. And how reliable are cost projections for hundreds of miles of such a wall and all the monitoring technology and maintenance it will require? It sure looks like Mexico won't spend a centavo to help pay for it.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kind of wondering when Trump decides that there are also just too many bad people from Canada trying to get into America illegally (in his mind, that is) as well, and he should alienate us further as a country by putting down another wall to the North. *sigh*

You know, I say this only half-jokingly, Swan, because Trump really does seem to grow more cartoonish in various ways by the day (this almost paranoia-driven need to build an actual, physical wall between countries, for example), but you might best hurry along to your man down here if you still intend to go to America one day like I remember you two once saying. Before it gets too difficult.

Lol!!
I got the joke :D

He and I are still waiting on God's timing. I'm not gonna let some wall intimidate me getting to my fiance. :angel:

Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He and I are still waiting on God's timing. I'm not gonna let some wall intimidate me getting to my fiance. :angel:

Oh, wow, you guys are already engaged? Dang, that was fast. ^_^ But i for one am all for fairy-tale romances that seem to be sealed by fate at first or second glance and an immediate sense of irreversible blessing from God. So I say to this: Congratulations! :cheer:

(If I may go off topic long enough just to say that, everyone.)

Now back to the topic: Yeah, I will totally concede that this is a promise of Trump's that is actually on its way to following through. Still, is it a good promise that is in America's best interest if kept? How many illegal immigrants could it possibly deter all on its own to make the appearances of this country alienating itself from other nations worth It? I mean, just my point of view of how a physical wall along the entire U.S./Mexico border makes us look, maybe, but still.

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I mean, just my point of view of how a physical wall along the entire U.S./Mexico border makes us look, maybe, but still.

Maybe you should send your phone number to President Trump so that he can personally check in with you as to whether or not you think each of his individual actions look bad.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Lol!!
I got the joke :D

Well, again, I think a part of me was actually serious in my concern when I said that. What difficulties might be presented to me trying to go North myself to live? It was already a bit telling when one officer at the border yesterday asked me what I thought of the President (I am willing to imagine the question was merely just for banter rather than any kind of implied part of their standard for screening travelers coming through) , and I was just coming to Ontario for a mere VISIT. So it's almost like Trump himself would never even have to get so crazy as to want a wall physically separating us from Canada, and instead his behavior and views in general are already beginning to alienate Canadians such that they themselves will feel inclined to make it only harder for Americans to come over to their land in the future. :/

Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SarahsKnight

Site Supporter
Jul 15, 2014
Magnolia, AR
✟994,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe you should send your phone number to President Trump so that he can personally check in with you as to whether or not you think each of his individual actions look bad.

Don't know why you are getting defensive about that particular part of my post. I mean, I said right there that it was just my point of view, and in the grand scheme of things, it alone certainly wouldn't matter to whoever would be currently sitting in the big Oval Office chair, Trump or Obama or any other past or future President.

• Agree
Reactions: Swan7
Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, again, I think a part of me was actually serious in my concern when I said that. What difficulties might be presented to me trying to go North myself to live? It was already a bit telling when one officer at the border yesterday asked me what I thought of the President (I am willing to imagine the question was merely just for banter rather than any kind of implied part of their standard for screening travelers coming through) , and I was just coming to Ontario for a mere VISIT. So it's almost like Trump himself would never even have to get so crazy as to want a wall physically separating us from Canada, and instead his behavior and views in general are already beginning to alienate Canadians such that they themselves will feel inclined to make it only harder for Americans to come over to their land in the future. :/

:mmh:
Well, that might have been for banter... but nowadays you can't be too careful when crossing borders either. When I first made a visit to the U.S, I read that the gaurds can, for any reason at all, deny you entry. I was so intimidated by this (I was also younger then and easily intimidated), but I went through without any issues.

So, it could be (please note this is purely speculation) that maybe Trump is figuring out who's a true American or those who are outside America are for him and not against him. This is a pretty far fetched notion, but then again... can't be too trusting of man these days.

• Friendly
Reactions: Toro
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If we charge each car entering the US from Mexico one dollar -- that would in time pay for the wall.

There are many ways to get that money from Mexico -- MANY MANY.

M-Bob

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
If we charge each car entering the US from Mexico one dollar -- that would in time pay for the wall.

M-Bob

I agree.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tooldtocare

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
united states
✟18,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mexico is a land of crime destruction poverty and drug lords. Actually they catch drug dealers coming across the border daily. Their sole purpose is to destruct, corrupt and destroy. Many of them actually worship the devil. True I don't want them here.

M-Bob

I take it you are upset because they are cutting into "your" drug market.

Upvote 0

tooldtocare

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2010
united states
✟18,750.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Trump needs to visit the Statue of Liberty

STATUE OF LIBERTY

“Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free/The wretched refuse of your teeming shore/Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me/I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”

Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟556,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

M-Bob
What's with this entitlement mentality some seem to have that they don't have to pay for the things they want?

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

M-Bob
Mexico will charge twice as much for non-nationals going into Mexico which involves many Americans.
Mexico can even make it difficult for trucks taking US goods down through Mexico to other countries to get across the border via delays, double and triple checking that takes time and costs money and more.
It has happened before.

Sometimes what seems so simple is not well thought out.

Why does everyone assume those going through the border in the south are Mexican as opposed to other nationalities? How does a wall stop those who fly in via Mexico and overstay their lawfully given visas?

Upvote 0