Books/resources on the history of unitarian/nontrinitarian sects?

Teleo Logic

Jun 26, 2022
Sydney
✟7,828.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi there,

I am a new convert, and I am still navigating my way through various theological issues. One of those issues which I find a quite difficult to wrestle with is matter of trinitarianism vs unitarianism.

With this in mind, I wondering if anyone would be able to recommend some scholarly books relating to the history of the nontrinitarian/unitarian sects in Christianity?

I have come across some works on Arius, but I am wondering if there are any which captures the broader tradition. I often find having a knowledge of the intellectual history helps with understanding the issue.

I am more looking for impartial academic books, as opposed to apologetic texts. Though I am happy for anything that might help.

Last edited:

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi there,

I am a new convert, and I am still navigating my way through various theological issues. One of those issues which I find a quite difficult to wrestle with is matter of trinitarianism vs unitarianism.

With this in mind, I wondering if anyone would be able to recommend some scholarly books relating to the history of the nontrinitarian/unitarian sects in Christianity?

I have come across some works on Arius, but I am wondering if there are any which captures the broader tradition. I often find having a knowledge of the intellectual history helps with understanding the issue.

I am more looking for impartial academic books, as opposed to apologetic texts. Though I am happy for anything that might help.

There is so much material available on line now, try doing a search and then get ready to read and read and read. And if you get hopelessly confused after all that reading post some questions on this site we have people here who can help.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hi there,

You're not likely to find anything at all from the early Church. Non-trinitarian groups are mainly only modern creations such as the Unitarians and Jehovah's Witnesses. But while you're looking you might want to read Philo of Alexandria. Philo was a Jew who lived during the times of the apostles. While there is no known connection between Philo and any of the apostles, Philo uses the same terms and concepts that both Paul and John use to describe the nature of God. There is an encyclopedia entry describing Philo's teachings. Look over the table of contents beginning at section 11. It will help.

Philo of Alexandria | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟475,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You're not likely to find anything at all from the early Church. Non-trinitarian groups are mainly only modern creations such as the Unitarians and Jehovah's Witnesses. But while you're looking you might want to read Philo of Alexandria. Philo was a Jew who lived during the times of the apostles. While there is no known connection between Philo and any of the apostles, Philo uses the same terms and concepts that both Paul and John use to describe the nature of God. There is an encyclopedia entry describing Philo's teachings. Look over the table of contents beginning at section 11. It will help.

Philo of Alexandria | Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Actually, the Panarion of St. Epiphanios, the Bishop of Salamis, which can be downloaded from Scribd, details the earliest Unitarians in the form of the Ebionites, Paul of Samosata, etc. The only problem I have with it is I feel St. Epiphanios blamed Arianism too heavily on Origen; I doubt Origen was even responsible, but rather the problem was Paul of Samosata’s disciple Lucien of Antioch, who seems to have influenced Arius.

Upvote 0