Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I thought about the issue on another thread in ask a calvinist subforum.

i wrote this in my blog awhile back:

i mark the completion of a book by writing a review for it and posting it to my lj and to amazon. if i dont finish a book, then i figure it wasnt worth reviewing, but i think i need to change this idea, too much of my reading is just a few chapters of interest, i ought to write a review and say that the rest of the book was ____, therefore i didnt finish it.

i really recommend writing reviews and keeping a reading journal, i sure wish i had started mine when i was much much younger. really helps stimulate the memory, and helps organize thinking.

even then reading costs me between 200$ and 300$ per month.

the best reader i've ever known said that reading was a conversation with the author and your wrote your comments in the margins, his books were unreadable after he finished. books are tools to get the stuff into your mind. do whatever it takes to learn the material, they are not sacred, white paper is not holy. write on it, cross out what you don't like, yell at the author in the margins and endpages. use the book, don't worship it.

i guess it is one of my big regrets that the numerous times i've started reading journals over the decades that i was unable to sustain it was any length of time. It's understandable even now i spend an hour or more each time i write an amazon review on what i have finished. it is time and energy consuming but i think a most useful exercise. if you've put in the time to read the book a little more to anchor it more firmly into your memory is a good investment. plus the review sits there allowing you to go back over the book in your mind and relearn the important points.

so does anyone write reviews and keep and reading journal?
i've seen one online back to when his mom wrote down the names of the books she read to him as a little child.

there are several amazing review sites on the net that are worth looking at and bookmarking.

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
book review--With Reverence and Awe
With Reverence and Awe: Returning to the Basics of Reformed Worship
D.G.Hart and John R. Muether

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...f=pd_bbs_1/102-8502438-2478522?_encoding=UTF8

I would love to have hated the book. TO have found it to be lousy boring writing, with no redeeming value, that way i could dismiss the ideas themselves as the ravings of a madman traditionalist bent only on preserving the archaic past at all costs. Actually i kind of read the first 100 pages or so with this attitude, however the tightness of the argumentation and the mostly soundness of the ideas at least broke through this shell and stopped my mental arguments with the authors long enough to listen. I am Biblically conservative but i am not conservative either politically or socially, my first response to new ideas is almost always to the left, to the progressive, away from traditionalist and conservative explanations. In general i don't really understand conservatives, sometimes they're just plain stupid, often ignorant, always a pain to deal with, however i can profitably read conservative books like this one, if i can hold on to the idea of "the willing suspension of disbelief" long enough to hear their arguments. So it you think i'm predisposed to agree with the book, you're wrong.

So what is the big deal? The book is part of a Sunday School class on Reformed Worship, i've reviewed two other books in the reading list, have more to go. This is the first right side, or traditionalist book i've read on the topic, i don't think i've put quite as many "!?" markings in a book in a long time-my questionable point. It is however an excellent source in the reading, i appreciate the authors positions, as i hope the rest of the review demonstrates. The writing is very well done, particularly the tightness and logicalness of the reasoning. It has the marks of someone who has thought, taught and researched the issue for a number of years, one or two line summaries that act as strong shaping principles (which i'll try to quote below), a progression in argumentation starting with basic principles and arguing towards the disputed ones. You don't have to agree with ideas to appreciate the well done form that they take here, it is a carefully and prayfully done work that the authors ought to feel proudly about, having done a good and worthwhile job. You can pick up the book anywhere and read a few pages to get the flow of the work and see if you would profit from the time spent reading it, however i think chapter 5 "Acceptable Worship" is the most meaty and my personal favorite. If like me, you read and appreciated J.Frame's Worship in Spirit and Truth, this book is a direct assault on those ideas, the pair together are probably more correct than either alone is.

So What is it all about?

a few notes and pull quotes for reference---

Introduction:
originated as Sunday School Lessons at two different OPC's.
i personally do not see the usual effects of two writers, i can not tell two different lines of thought or two different ways of writing. how they wrote the book or divided up the task is invisible to me.

"Christians seem to have an easy time starting a fight over worship".pg 11
"how ought we to evaluate innovations in our churches?" "where does the Bible encourage us to design worship for outsiders?" pg 12
"Because of the close connection between good theology and appropriate worship, corporate acts of praise and devotion that conflict with Reformed theology must flow from unsound doctrine. In effect our worship provides a barometer of our theology?" pg 14 my first !? notes, of many
"this means that we are incapable by our own intelligence, strength, or sincerity of devising God-honoring worship". pg 14
Outlining our Study:
first, who is it that worships?
when to worship?
what is the regulative principle? what is the dialogical principle and how does it shape our liturgy?
what is the place of worship in the means of grace?
what are the elements and circumstances of worship?
our task is to show that such faithfulness to Reformed doctrine also requires loyalty to a certain kind of worship? pg 21
the theme of the book: "We were created to serve God, and our worship on the Lord's Day should be conducted to give him the glory and honor that belong to him along as our Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer." pg 22

1. The Church and the World
our churches seem to be more concerned about winning the approval of the world and less on guard against the dangers of conforming to the world pg 26
(in worship) we leave the world and its cares and duties to enter into God's presence. pg 26
the church's otherworldliness, the contra mundum, against the world or fallen humanity in rebellion against God pg 29
this internal threat is deadly precisely because it denies the separateness of the church by graducall merging the church with the world under the guise of peace. an all embracing paganism results, Machen warned, when the church forsakes its call to holiness and pursus worldliness pg 30
the very act of worship, of assembling in the presence of God, therefore, is simultaneously the church's renunciation of the world. Worship is subversive and countercultural act of an alien people who, forsaking the world, list to the voice of her master saying, "follow me". pg 33-34

2. The Purpose of the Church
the wrong idea of the church as a means of social or cultural transformation. exercise of social influence, the social gospel, liberal Protestant theology as allowing the world to set the church's agenda. pg 40
the task of the church is to exalt its head, to teach only the doctrines he has revealed, to worship him as he has commanded, and to order its life by what he has ordained. pg 41
competing models of the church, Christ's command to his disciplines in the Great Commission, the starting point to understand the purpose of the church pg 43
the misunderstanding of the church and worship as vechicles for evangelism rather than the wider task of making disciplines while rejecting the idols of this world. pg 48

3. A Worshiping Community
in the same way that the marks of the church tell us how to find the true church, so also corporate worship helps us identify the church. worshipis essential to the church's identity. pg 55
the church that properly worships will be peculiar to the world. its way will seem odd and irrelevant, and its language will sound strange. pg 60

4. The Holy Day of Worship
without financial support from the stae churches have been forced to adopt market strategies to grow and develop. pg 64
problems with revivialism: chief means for determining genuine spirituality, intense and earnest times of spirtiual awakening have been used to distinguish the saved from the lost.
the Sabbath is designed to work slowly, quietly, seemingly imperceptively, in reorienting believers' appetites heavenward. it is not a quick fix nor is it necessarily a spiritual high. we all have to return to our day jobs. pg 65
the problem of the spirituality of the mountaintop experiences is that no one can live on the mountain. pg 65
the distinction between the holy and the profance lies at the heart of biblical teaching about the Sabbath and worship. pg 71
Scripture instructs us to distinguish among activities that are holy, those that are inherently sinful, and those that are common or lawful on other days. pg 72
"God calls Christians to live holy lives. He calls us to live in the world and to work out our salvation in fear and trembling. He also commands us, at set times and places, to participate in holy things that are distinct from the ways of the world. God has given us a holy meal(the Lord's Supper), holy water(baptism), holy words(preaching), and a holy vocation(the minister of the Word). He has also given us holy time: one day for worship and rest. Contrary to popular claims, Reformed Christains do believe in a liturgical calendar. But it is weekly, not seasonal." pg 73

5. Acceptable Worship
regulative principle: do in worship only what God requires is a consequence of the 10 Commandments.
normative principle: what is not forbidden is permissible. pg 78
Calvin argued that we worship for God's glory, only secondarily for our edification and not in the least for our pleasure. pg 79
it is premised on such unchanging truths as the character of God, the extent of human depravity, and the command to love our neighbor. pg 82
elements are the what, circumstances are the how of worship pg 86

6. Reformed Liturgy
the gathering of God's people out of this world and into His presence. it is impossible to understand public worship apart from the church in its corporate or visible character. pg 91
the premises of Reformed theology-God's sovereignty, cration, and providence: man's depravity; Christ's mediation; the Holy Spirit's saving application of Christ's work; and the centrality of Scripture-should be implicitly present in Reformed liturgy. pg 93
but the principle of covenantal or dialogical worship, following biblical patterns of worship, challenges this distinction by insisting that all of worship is vertical. it is a holy transaction or conversation between God and his people. pg 96
the blessing of vertical worship is sufficient for our edification. we do not need to hear things from each other in worship to be blessed or encoraged or convicted.
we need not tinker with the dialogical structure to add therapeutic features that appear to give encouragement and support. pg 97

7. Leading and Participating in Worship
current retreat from clericalism of the Westminster divines is the popular doctrine of the priesthood of all believers. pg 105
listening and appropriating are activities that require concentration and spiritual discipline. pg 113

8. Worship with Godly Fear
what is permissible in worship, but also what is wise pg 119
so acceptable worship is a dialogue with God that displays awe and godly fear in an appropriate pattern of elements. pg 119
so reverence must always be accompanied by simplicity pg 121
joy-along with a full range of emotions such as grief, anger, desire, hope, fear and love- should find natural outlets in worship. But the need for reverence and gravity dictates that any expression of emotion in worship should be tempered by moderation, self-control, and above all, respect for who Gdo is and an awareness of our place before him. pg 122
the israelites knew that if God did not consume the sacrifice he would consume the worshipers. pg 123

9. The Means of Grace
no metaphor is more central to the Bible's description of the Christian life than the idea of pilgrimage. pg 136
transcendence-supernatural-Creation-conservatives
immanence-natural means-providence-liberals pg 137
outside of the church, no ordinary means of salvation WCF 2:2 pg 138
he who refuse to be a son of the Church desires in vain to have God as his Father. pg 139 Calvin on Gal 4:26

10. Elements, Circumstances, and Forms
the essentials for Reformed worship, then, are the reading and preaching of the Word, prayer, song, the collection, and the sacraments. to leave these out of worship or to add to them is to go beyond God's Word. pg 150
sermons must be prepared, a warning to extemporaneous preachers, no topical preaching, life can not be divorced from doctrine pg 153
yet a dangerous assumption lurks behind the reasoning (worship without form), that genuine devotion and sincere feelings for God can only be expressed adequatedly when we use our own words, not the words of someone else. pg 154
so ecstasy or spontaneity in worship cannot be a measurement of its legitimacy. the only genuine esperience in worship is a proper response to God as he has revealed himself in his Word.
it is possible for worshipers to deceive others and themselves through counterfeit experiences. pg 155
might not the decline of psalm singing and catechism memorizing among Presbyterians indicate the triumph of experience in our worship? pg 155

11. Song in Worship
hymns drove out the metrical psalms over the course of the 19thC. pg 161
prevailing illiteracy over the Psalter in today's churches is a testimony to how much of our Reformed heritage we have abandoned. pg 162
a wise approach is to suspect anything that has not withstood the test of time. pg 163
worship is the church's renunciation of the world. ... the purpose of the church is discipleship and not merely soul winning. pg 164
we should not expect to listen to, much less to sing, the music that we enjoy during the week, a pint that applies wherever our tastes may lie, form country to classical to "contemporary Christian music". pg 165
song was chiefly a form of prayer. it was not, as many argue today, a way of teaching the Wrod in order to communciate theology. pg 166
acceptable worship does not come naturally to sinful people. worship involves habits and appetites that are only acquired over tiem by believers as they mature in the faith by exposure to the means of grace. pg 166
form that the elements of worship take ... are shaped by our cultural setting ... an effort to discern the ways in which she is tempted by worldliness, what it means to be set apart from the world and how avoiding worldiliness promotes holiness. ... resistance fighters against worldliness, that is, to be a people set apart. pg 169
by stressing the subjective experience, the new music eclipses the objective basis for our coming to worship. This is reinforced by the characteristic repetition in the lyrics that atrophies sustained theological reflection on God, on his attributes, and on his works. pg 171

Conclusion:
reformed worship is founded on the Word of God
reformed worship is theocentric
reformed worship nurtures God's people through the means of grace
reformed worship is dialogical
reformed worship is simple
reformed worship is eschatological

I think even from these few quotations and notes that the book is a product of careful analysis and prayerful concern with what "doth God require".
i'd direct the readers attention to:
The Regulative Principle: Scripture, Tradition, and Culture
An Email Debate Between Darryl Hart and John Frame
at: http://www.frame-poythress.org/frame_articles/1998HartDebate.htm
read it next. even before either of their books if you haven't already done so.

I'm not anywhere near the end of this study. I'm trying not to make conclusions but to listen to the positions and arguments. I like the book, mostly for its organization and skillful presentation of their principles, which i think are clear from the short quotes above. Their Big Point, that the church is against culture is worth keeping in mind, even if it is not quite right.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Worship in Spirit and Truth: A Refreshing Study of the Principles and Practice of Biblical Worship
John Frame

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...f=pd_bbs_1/102-8502438-2478522?_encoding=UTF8

A few preliminaries:
I know the author, he was my favorite prof at Westminister West, i think he is a significant and important theologian in the conservative reformed church and i appreciate both his wisdom and his writings. We were members of the church spoken about in the book. The book is a re-read for me, being the primary reading for a PCA Sunday School class on Worship, several more reviews of books for this class ought to follow, for i have about 10 on the table for this class. I am not unaware of the controversy over worship in the conservative reformed churches in the US, i know the book caused a big stir on the right, and J.Frame faced a lot of criticism over the way he handled the issues in the book.

It is written to be a Sunday School class on Worship in the Church. It is secondarily an entry into these worship wars fought primarily over music with the exclusive psalmody guys to the far right, traditional hymn singers just to the left of them against anyone who dares try to make worship more spontaneous, more contemporary or forbid introduce dancing in the aisles or drama into the morning worship service. I like to think of J.Frame as the overhead projector and Praise song defender, but his position is far more nuanced and justified then this, however i would not be surprised if that is what most people walk away from the book believing. He includes thinking questions to address as a group and short footnotes with each chapter.

The book is written to that general reader, interested party with just barely a high school education. There are not theological terms to look up, no sophisticated reasoning that requires a table or flowchart to follow, but rather a gentle introduction trying to lead people through the maze of the discussion without setting off either their internal explosives nor the mines in the worship wars. For that alone JFrame ought to be commended, it is a good introduction, he touches on all the major issues, and even adds a few important ideas to use to grasp what are the real issues.

What does God require of us in our worship of Him? How to answer the question? on pg xiv he says there are 3 types of literature on the subject of worship: historical, ideological, practical. His contribution will be to look at Scripture and interpret tradition through it, looking mostly at the issues in modern conservative Presbyterianism. He introduces the idea that meaningful worship is to do as God commands in language that expresses our worship to God and our edification of each other. His major point throughout the book will be that God leaves us a lot of flexibility on the issues and that theological traditionalists will try to minimize both freedom and flexibility.

Chapter 1 is "Some Basic Principles" and it starts with "What is Worship?"
Our first concern is to please God. He introduces his useful triad of: authority control and presence. Worship is to be: God centered, Christ centered and Gospel centered. It is vertical, people to God, God to people and horizontal, people to each other. It is broad and narrow and it is important.

Chapter 2 is "Worship in the Old Testament"
The distinction of tabernacle and Temple worship, and later synagogue worship.

Chapter 3 is "Worship in the New Testament"
This chapter mirrors the one before it and shows how Jesus is the fulfillment of the elements of O.T. worship. Jesus is God's dwelling among men. Worship in the broad sense is effected by the ideas of Christ fulfilling the rules and regulations of the O.T. ceremonial law.

Chapter 4 is "The Rules for Worship"
God regulates our dealings with the holy. The regulative principle is do only what God commands, versus the converse, it is allowed if not prohibited. The distinction of circumstances which he calls application, which i think is culturally determined things that are not transcultural and required to be transmitted to all new believers in all cultures until the end of time. His rejection of the regulative principle as applicable only to corporate and formal worship and the historical Puritan principles anchored in their battles with a state controlled church. "We must be both more conservaive and more liberal than most students of Christian worship: conservative in holding exclusively to God's commands in Scripture as our rule of worship, and liberal in defending the liberty of those who apply those commandments in legitimate, though nontraditional, ways." pg 46

Chapter 5 is "What to Do in Worship"
The elements of worship which he lists as: greetings and benedictions, reading of Scripture, Preaching and Teaching, Charismatic Prophecy and Speaking in Tongues, Prayer, Song, Vows, Confession of Faith, Sacraments, Church Discipline, Collections and offerings, expressions of Fellowship. note: he is cessionist.

Chapter 6 is "Arrangements for Worship"
Doing all in a fitting and orderly way. Worship must be intelligible, understanding is essential for those in the pews, this requires contemporaneity. Service stresses primarily the joy in the resurrection of Jesus. pg 69 Scripture nowhere orders plainness as a matter of principle, contra the Puritans. pg 73 We live in a sacramental universe and can not escape the complex usage of symbols.

Chapter 7 is "The Tone of Worship"
Reformed theology is uncomfortable with emotions, often advocating the primacy of the intellect, the view that truth comes first to the intellect and is subsequently applied to the emotions and the will. pg 77 How the worshipper should feel: reverance, joy, sorrow for sin, participation, faith, love, boldness, family intimacy. People's taste and worship styles. authenticity, meeting God in the experience of worship.

Chapter 8 is "God speaks to us: the Word and the Sacraments"
We encounter God Himself in the Word, both read and preached. Sacraments as visible words.

Chapter 9 is "We speak to God: Our Response to God's Word"
prayer, confessions of faith, congregational responses, individual participation. the extension of intelligibility to meaningful and alert participation by everyone.

Chapter 10 is "Music in Worship"
note. the author is a very good musican. music as vivid and memorable, driving the Word into our hearts. what does music do, why is it controversial? traditional Christian ambivalence to popular worship, Presbyterian history of suspicion of revival, aesthetic concerns about the quality of music, and the generation gap. Music criticised as being too popular, too subjective, and not doctrinally reliable. pg 116 The concern to accommodate the brethren, to hold each other in higher regard then concern for one's own preferences.

Chapter 11 is "Music in Worship: some controversies"
exclusive psalmody, instruments, choirs, solos, music of the body.

Chapter 12 is "Music in Worship: Choosing Hymns"
Scriptural and understandable to the congregation. the chief rule for music is that it reinforce rather than detract from the words. pg 139 cultural differences, not to cater to human taste but to honor God in his desire to edify the people in worship, sacrifice our own preferences as we look outward in the Great Commission to reach out to those ignorant of our traditions. the idea that the weaker brethen needs extra help and instruction but not to allow the church to be captive to their false or excessive scruples. they may have to seek their own fellowships. pg 142 the potential answer to the worship wars. such divisions are defeats not triumphs as lack of love, unity and peace lose out to judgement.

Chapter 12 is "Putting it all together"
is a step by step analysis of one Sunday in his church.

So is he successful? Did he introduce the topic and keep people going to his Sunday School class? What are his motivations and goals in the discussion?
The book is interesting and i think it holds people's attention, you can pick it up and start reading anywhere for an idea of what he is talking about, it is even in tone and writing throughout.
To know if he is successful we have to figure out what he is attempting to do. First, it looks like a justification of his worship service and style of worship. His motivations appear to be to defuse the EP and anti-praise song people and allow him the freedom to worship this way and still be able to justify everything with the regulative principle. His major goal appears to be the peace and unity of not just this individual congregation but the denominations this effects as well. Is the solution to have 3 or 4 similiar denominations, with the rightmost EP, then another traditional hymns with the left using praise songs and overheads, like he says, this is a defeat for the unity and peace of the body of Christ, although that is what appears to be happening in the country.

He has several distinctions that are under fire, mostly from the right. Broad and narrow worship, the church as modeled after the synagogue rather than the temple, the need for spontenaity in worship versus the Puritan pursuit of plainness. I need to do more study before i am able to make an educated guess at what i think is the right way to do things. I appreciate the author and hope his book gets the wider attention it desires as in this class at my church.

thanks for reading this short review. email me at rwilliam2 at yahoo dot com subject worship class if you can help with these issues. i will send the url to the worship class notes on request as well.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Covenantal Worship: Reconsidering the Puritan Regulative Principle
R.J.Gore Jr

part of the reading for the worship sunday school class. notes for that class are kept at: http://www.rinconmountainpca.com/worshipclassnotes.html
i have perhaps 10 books in hand on the topic. hope to get through all of them in the next 2 months.

I come to the book as part of a sunday school class on worship, it is perhaps the 2nd or 3rd book i've read on the topic, with several more to follow in the next few months.

To put it into a growing perspective: it is a little to the left of J.Frame's Worship in Spirit and Truth as Gore is willing to say discard RPW. It is a lightening rod, as is Frame, for the more traditionalist side to say that the conservatives are loosing their understanding of worship and are becoming the great hated liberals for doing so. All the name calling i've seen so far has been from the traditionalist side. This book is a straightforward investigation that looks at both the historical and Biblical evidence for worship.

notes since i currently don't own the book and this is the second read through:
the important pull quotes and reading notes:

introduction: the long and winding road

confusion comes from the absence of a consensus, the lack of a coherent theology of worship that is based upon certain bedrock, widely accepted principles. pg 1
in his first pastorate, not one elder in our session-pastor included- could give a thorough explantaion for why we did what we did, why we left out certain expressions of worship, or why we placed the selected particulars in the prescribed order pg 3
during graduate studies at Westminster he discovered: the Puritan regulative principle of worship seemed to cut the Gordian knot in matters of worship. Rather than endless discussions about right and wrong, Puritans simply banned everything that did not have explicit biblical warrant. Anything that was not commanded, or logically based on a command, Scripture did not allow. That certainly ended the guesswork. pg 3

chapter 1 : doing your own thing

5 different approaches to worship:
pragmatic: if it works it is allowed
ecclesial: RC, what the church says is correct is allowed
lutheran: what is not prohibited is allowed
reformed: whatever is consistent with covenantal faithfulness is allowed
puritan: whatever is not commanded is forbidden

this principle affirms that what exist on the popular level, as an expression of piety, often works its way into more formal statements of belief.
for some, it is enough that such songs communicate well with young people. the more profound argument that encourages the use of Scripture songs on biblical grounds is not thoroughly pondered. ... Finally, there are congregations that seek to maintain their theological integrity while exploring the possibilities of vibrant, creative worship. They pursue this goal with the intential awareness of their surrounding culture. Here a genuine desire to understand the principles regulating biblical worship is coupled with an equally intense desire to make worship meaningful to the worshiper. pg 11
this warning cautious us against trendiness and the subordination of eternal truth to the seductive claims of a particular cultural context. or the uncritical acceptance of all that has preceded. and slip into equating what is true with what is unchanging. ... My hope is that this analysis will point the way toward a greater coherence in Presbyterian worship, as well as greater freedom from strictures that may more accurately be viewed as culturally conditioned and not as divinely commanded. pg 19,20

chapter 2: deja vu all over again

parallel between 16thC/17thC and our times.
the larger context of the westminster assembly's work is the reaction to the RC and the attempt to recapture the purity of the early church by removing the doctrinal and practical developments of medieval RC Church. pg 23
assembly's stated goal to achieve a religious consensus between Ireland, Scotland and England
the confessional basis of the RPW:
wcf 1.6 1-all worship is either based directly on scripture or is logically deducible from Scripture. 2-there are circumstances common to any human society that are not subject to explicit commands, but rather to general conformity to the Word and reasonableness. p26
2b-legitimate options within the category of circumstance must also be in accord with social decorum and custom. pg29
there is still a problem. to be specific, where and how does one draw the line between that which is circumstantial to worship and that which is an element of worship? pg30
perhaps a better way of distinguishing beween what is commanded and what is circumstantial is to differentiate between what is essential and what is nonessential in worship. pg 31
how to define circumstance: 1-no substantial part of worship, no sacred and significant ceremony 2-not connected to a a sacred act 3-subject to the will of the church for which an evident reason exists for their use--G.Gillespie pg 31
wcf 20.2 1- God alone has authoritatively addressed the human conscience only in his law, the only perfect revelation of which in this world in the inspired Scriptures. 2-two kinds of rules no authority to legislate a-contrary to Scripture b-in addition to scripture in matters of faith and worship. pg 33
adiaphora-things indifferent, the church does not have the authority to impose innovations in worship.
wcf 21.1-6 1-worship God according to his commands, all else is the sin of idolatry. pg 36 what is substantial to worship vs what is incidental. will-worship is prohibited.

chapter 3: the puritan via media

Although the Directory may properly be described as a compromise document, this description is primarily in terms of what is not required or not forbidden, rather than in terms of what is explicitly required or forbidden...what is clearly required is nothing other than a consistent insistence on the divine prerogative in worship. ... the Directory at times chose to remain silent over certain issues that were sensitvie to the variousparties in ordr to achieve a broader acceptance. pg 42
elements of the compromise: party views from Erastian to Independent Puritan to jure divino Presbyterian. between the High Church elements and the free church. between radical Independents, conservative Scots( who used a service book) and English Presbyterians (who might have a high regard for the Prayer Book). is is a significant development in terms of both freedom from coercion and freedom from liturgical conformity. pg 44,45
there was a compromise with regards to prayer, over particular forms of worship called novations, but most importantly over the frequency of Communion. pg 45,46
as a compromise document it represents a via media, this catholicity is both a strength and weakness of the Directory, for it accommodates but in doing so confuses the already ambiguous distinction between essential and circumstantial aspects of worship. pg 47
what is adiaphora, what is its relationship to the elements of worship, and to the task of delineating between essential and circumstantial issues of worship. pg49
the source of the problem: must encompass historical practice, could not press RPW to it's logical conclusions, and provide a basis for unity. pg50

chapter 4: regulating with calvin
man must learn to serve God against his own nature-quote from T.Torrance
the word must lead us because of our own sin and our propensity to idolatry.
god is please with our odedience to his commands. pg 56
acceptable worship is conformed to the word of god and not the product of human invention pg 57
two of Calvin's biblical interpretation principles: analogy of faith(difficult passages in light of clearer texts) and contextualization(circumstances and occasion of the text are important) pg 59
the bible to be interpretated in its entire covenantal context, the author's intent, theological context pg 61
adiaphora: ceremonial, ethical, doctrinal, consider all in context of Christian liberty and charity pg 63
the church can speak to the issues of the day with: 1- according to love 2-not in addition to God's law 3-intended for a particular need, time 4-not a human innovation 5: common peace and concord a-modest and gravity b-lead us to Christ c-remove confusion lead to discipline and peace pg 67
general rules: 1-God has spoken 2-not in exact detail so church must rely on general principles 3-sensitivity; 1-minimum rules 2-no superstitous ceremonies 3-contextualed to time, place, needs of the church pg 69

chapter 5: worship, genevan style
the shape of the liturgy from Calvin to Puritans
the frequency of the Lord's Supper issues
kneeling, type of bread, color of wine pg 77
for calvin contra the Puritans: godparents, ministerial garb, observance of days, confirmation, certain forms of worship pg 79-84
exclusive psalmody
for the anglican the adiaphora are broad, for the puritan rather narrow pg 85
puritan demanding explicit commands for all of worship and desire for relative simplicity
anglican represented the aspect of Calvin's thought that maintained the necessity of covenantal consciousness, a genuine exercise of dominion and creation with the parameters of what God had revealed. pg 86,87 both are discontinuous and continuous with different pieces of Calvin's thinking.
commanded or warranted: the puritans failed to maintain a broad application of adiaphora to circumstances. pg 88
changing "whatever is consistent to Scripture" into "whatever is commanded in Scripture" giving either commanded or unlawful, thus emptying the adiaphora category alltogether. pg 89

chapter 6: thy will be done
1-understanding the nature of Puritan biblical interpretation 2-integrating practices of Jesus concerning the worship of God; to lead to if the stricter Puritan regulative principle is right. pg 92
puritan rationalism, worship is primarily a mental exercise pg 93
tendencies exhibites in the Caresian shift from objective truth to personal truth, from the primacy of revelation to primacy of reason, conductive of the intellectualization of worship pg 93
to puritans appeal to emotions through ceremony and rite was but an appeal to man's carnal nature. pg 93
simplicity as speaking to the heart through the mind pg 94
platonism and stocism's effects on the puritans pg 95
strict literalism as a hermeneutical error. pg 96
failure to grasp organic development of Scripture pg 98
the synagogue, no temple or sacrificial ritual there, however Jesus participated in its worship services pg 99-105
voluntary Jewish feasts: feast of dedication, purim pg 106-110

chapter 7: your reasonable service
RPW is flawed and unworkable pg 111 the leftmost position i've seen yet on the issue
worship is a point of concentration, every act of obedience to God is an act of worship, adiaphora in proximate or ultimate senses, covenantal character of life and worship stemming from it. pg 115
apodictic(commands) casuistic(case law) pg 119
in wisdom the Christian is to learn to think covenantally, responsibly, as a mature believe in the Lord. this is not a license for unbridled freedom however it is a charter for matrue, thoughtful reflection on god's world from God's perspective. pg 120
anglican-puritan split result of: form-freedom, sponteneity- uniformity tension being resolved to the extremes, rather than holding to paradoxes and balance pg 120
van til on ethics: vicegerency, self-realization, individualization, analogical action pg 121-124
worship was never intended to consist in simple conformity to a comprehensive set of guidelines. pg 124
no longer any binding religious obligations since Christ has fulfilled the entire ceremonial law pg 127
the necessity of personal conviction as the basis of action pg 128
both the weak and the strong have obligations to one another: strong not to impose, weak to judge and censure pg 120

chapter 8: in light of the covenant
responsibility, not simple mechanical conformity pg 138
what is consistent with Scripture is acceptable in worship=covenantal principle to replace Puritan RPW pg 140
by refusing to acknowledge the breathe of adiaphora leads to the worship wars over the circumstances pg 141
worship that is simple pg 143
worship in the New Testament is spiritual worship, which has direction and inner coherence pg 143-145
worship that is orderly, mirrors God, associated with man in creation and dominion, consistent with freedom pg 145-146
worship that is free: liberty of conscience, ecclesisatical freedom, accompanied by weighty responsibility pg 146-148
worship that glorifies and edifies: vertical and horizontal elements, first to glorify God, secondly edification of fellow believers but not entertainment, maybe enjoable but not only enjoyable pg 149
worship that is catholic: pg 152
worship that is culturally sensitive pg 153
a pilgrim people that recognize that the forms here on earth are not the final forms pg 154
worship that is balanced: between Word and symbol, between Word and Sacrament, avoid reductionism and materialism, intellectualization or emotionalism pg 156
worship that is Christ-centered:

conclusion:
the dynamics that gave birth to the Puritan principles pg 164
reaffirming the role for the adiaphora pg 164
covenantal faithfulness builds on Puritan model but goes beyond it to big principles pg 165

I ended up liking the book, for several reasons. One is that it is well documented, soundly reasoned and interesting, the other is that it works on issues, in particular the adiaphora that i have run across i the past and wish to understand better. First, what is it about? The big view is that it is a justification for changing the regulative principle of worship into something a bit broader or wider, the covenantal principle of worship, this is chapter 8. everything before it is history and analysis of why this change is a good, necessary, historically sound and above all- a Scriptural thing to do. Second, how to read the book? Skip all the way to the back, like when you first open a detective novel and read the 3 page conclusion, that will tell you "who dun it". Then move forward a few pages and read chapter 8, the heart of the book's recommendation, if you are not turned off and discouraged at this compromise with the evil world, buy the book and read it, twice. Don't take notes or mark it up the first time, this is a read lightly once, then study read again type of book, being the outgrowth of a seminary dissertation does that to a book *grin*. Try to keep your questions and objections to a minimum during this first read, they will interfere greatly with you understanding what the author is saying, it really isn't that radical or worldly or Puritan denying or the end of Presbyterian worship as we know it.

Upvote 0